Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2021 12:59:27 PM EDT
Hey All - can anyone identify the maker of the FSB in the below pics - is this a USGI or commercial FSB?
This came off the M16A1 clone for which I recently discovered that the upper was most likely manufactured by Norinco.
That clone has since been taken apart and I am trying to determine which of the parts to sell/toss vs what to salvage for future M16A1/XM177E2 clones builds.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#1]
USGI Colt c.1966-‘67.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 3:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there a drainhole under the front sight post?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is there a drainhole under the front sight post?
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 5:47:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes it does have a drain hole - glad to hear that it appears to be Colt.
Thanks all for the intel!  
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 6:07:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yes it does have a drain hole - glad to hear that it appears to be Colt.
Thanks all for the intel!  
View Quote

what were the markings on the barrel it came off of?  the spacing on the taper pin holes don't look like Colt.  i don't know if Colt ever sold undrilled FSBs on the open market.  casting looks a little rough too for Colt.  

Link Posted: 8/31/2021 6:57:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
USGI Colt c.1966-‘67.
View Quote

That would be off a MP 12 barrel, which I'm holding in my hand right now inspecting. I'm seeing better finish work, overall smoothness, etc on the known Colt.
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 8:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

what were the markings on the barrel it came off of?  the spacing on the taper pin holes don't look like Colt.  i don't know if Colt ever sold undrilled FSBs on the open market.  casting looks a little rough too for Colt.  

View Quote

There are no markings anywhere on the barrel. I can take some pics and post here for review, but the pics will only show an unmarked parkerized barrel.
Is there any particular locations on an unmarked barrel to photograph that may hint as to its origin?
Link Posted: 9/1/2021 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

There are no markings anywhere on the barrel. I can take some pics and post here for review, but the pics will only show an unmarked parkerized barrel.
Is there any particular locations on an unmarked barrel to photograph that may hint as to its origin?
View Quote

maybe use the overall profile.  sometimes the MP marking btw the FSB legs can be very faint.
Link Posted: 9/2/2021 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I'll be... Under proper lighting I had a closer look at my A1 barrel that the FSB in question was installed on and noticed a marking under the handguard section that I had previously missed - 'G 5.56 NATO 1/12'. I Googled this but nothing came up. Any ideas as to who manufactured this barrel and/or does it help ID the manufacturer of the FSB?

Link Posted: 9/2/2021 11:52:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Well I'll be... Under proper lighting I had a closer look at my A1 barrel that the FSB in question was installed on and noticed a marking under the handguard section that I had previously missed - 'G 5.56 NATO 1/12'. I Googled this but nothing came up. Any ideas as to who manufactured this barrel and/or does it help ID the manufacturer of the FSB?

https://i.postimg.cc/rKCGPHFr/8-B04-F31-C-8239-4170-948-C-4773-A93-DA1-E1.png
View Quote

Where did you get this upper from again? That might be a late 60's GM (General Motors) barrel if we can rule out it being a newer production Green Mountain. We'd need a bit more information on origin, age, etc.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Where did you get this upper from again? That might be a late 60's GM (General Motors) barrel if we can rule out it being a newer production Green Mountain. We'd need a bit more information on origin, age, etc.
View Quote

Unfortunately I don't have any info on the who what when why or how's of its origin. A buddy bought it and an XM16 clone as a package deal from a member over on the FalFiles back in 2016.
He kept the XM16 and offered up the M16A1 clone to me. Here are some pics I found from back when I first took possession of it.  

A while back I was asking about the rifle's painted upper receiver and was advised to strip the black paint to better ID it. I did so and was first advised that it appeared to be Colt and then later advised it was most likely Norinco made due to the lack of a vertical line on the cam pin bulge - here is a link to that thread. I appreciate any intel folks around here can provide on this clone.

Link Posted: 9/3/2021 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
…noticed a marking under the handguard section that I had previously missed - 'G 5.56 NATO 1/12'.
View Quote

As I understand things, “5.56 NATO” originated in the 1980’s.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 4:58:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As I understand things, “5.56 NATO” originated in the 1980’s.
View Quote

Negative. M16s started being marked 5.56 in the late 60s
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 5:51:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Unfortunately I don't have any info on the who what when why or how's of its origin. A buddy bought it and an XM16 clone as a package deal from a member over on the FalFiles back in 2016.
He kept the XM16 and offered up the M16A1 clone to me. Here are some pics I found from back when I first took possession of it.  

https://i.postimg.cc/SnJzg8Nn/IMG-6183-1.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/HrR8RxVB/IMG-6184.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/bsYn2W7H/IMG-6185.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/Lh3f52b8/IMG-6186.jpg https://i.postimg.cc/RNPH1G9r/IMG-6187.jpg

A while back I was asking about the rifle's painted upper receiver and was advised to strip the black paint to better ID it. I did so and was first advised that it appeared to be Colt and then later advised it was most likely Norinco made due to the lack of a vertical line on the cam pin bulge - here is a link to that thread. I appreciate any intel folks around here can provide on this clone.

View Quote

I'm really not your guy when it comes to the GM stuff but there are a few around who know what to look for so let's wait for them.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Negative. M16s started being marked 5.56 in the late 60s
View Quote
5.56, sure. But NATO?

My understanding is that NATO didn’t adopt/standardize 5.56 until the 1980’s, starting with SS109.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 9:20:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
5.56, sure. But NATO?

My understanding is that NATO didn’t adopt/standardize 5.56 until the 1980’s, starting with SS109.
View Quote

I know that 67ish era marked M16s were marked “Cal. 5.56mm” I see what you’re saying, not sure when the ammo was considered a NATO round and if the M193 was considered NATO or not.

I defer to @aeyoung

I believe I’m right when I say that people get confused and think that early AR-15s marked “.223” should not shoot full 5.56 NATO loads, but from everything I’ve read and heard, the chamber in those rifles is more similar to the modern NATO chamber rather than the modern .223 chamber. Alex may need to correct me on that as well.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 11:55:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
5.56, sure. But NATO?

View Quote

The 5.56 round was adopted by NATO in 1980 and Green Mountain opened it's doors in 1976, so I'm going to say it's a Green Mountain barrel.

ETA : I had to do some Google Foo to find this out, I was extremely surprised to find out Green Mountain has been turning out barrels for nearly 50 years.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 12:56:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I know that 67ish era marked M16s were marked “Cal. 5.56mm” I see what you’re saying, not sure when the ammo was considered a NATO round and if the M193 was considered NATO or not.

I defer to @aeyoung

I believe I’m right when I say that people get confused and think that early AR-15s marked “.223” should not shoot full 5.56 NATO loads, but from everything I’ve read and heard, the chamber in those rifles is more similar to the modern NATO chamber rather than the modern .223 chamber. Alex may need to correct me on that as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
5.56, sure. But NATO?

I defer to @aeyoung

They changed to 5.56 as part of the A1 program in 1968 and nato adopted it much later. Idk exactly when.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 12:31:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They changed to 5.56 as part of the A1 program in 1968 and nato adopted it much later. Idk exactly when.
View Quote

Was M193 labeled as a NATO round at that time in the US though?
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 1:26:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Barrel is green mountain. Mine is marked the same way.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 2:13:47 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:Was M193 labeled as a NATO round at that time in the US though?
View Quote
I’ll be curious to hear what aeyoung or others have to say, but I doubt that M193 could accurately be called “5.56 NATO” even today.  From what I’ve read, the NATO spec was fashioned after FN’s SS109;  i.e. the 62-grain round we adopted as M855, and the reason that the M16A2 needed a twist faster than the A1’s 1/12.  

Link Posted: 9/4/2021 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I’ll be curious to hear what aeyoung or others have to say, but I doubt that M193 could accurately be called “5.56 NATO” even today.  From what I’ve read, the NATO spec was fashioned after FN’s SS109;  i.e. the 62-grain round we adopted as M855, and the reason that the M16A2 needed a twist faster than the A1’s 1/12.  

View Quote

On October 28th,1980 NATO officially adopted the 5.56mm developed in the late 70's by Belgium FN - Herstal, SS109, SS110, and SS111 cartridge family.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep..... Green Mountain barrel.
Link Posted: 9/7/2021 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Excellent news! Thanks all - appreciate the responses and the lesson on the 5.56/NATO timeline.  
While Green Mountain is not USGI, I think its way better than unknown or overseas manufacture...
How about the FSB - some say Colt others are not so sure - is there any way to be certain?  

Back to the topic of the identifying my mysterious upper that is lacking the vertical lines on the cam pin bulge area.
It was reported that all USGI uppers had the vertical lines and that missing the vertical lines is indicative that it is likely Norinco made.
Were there any exceptions to this rule?
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top