Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2020 7:12:25 PM EDT
Could any of you hard core Retro guys sort this out for me.  I've had this assembled barreled upper since 1992.  It shoots just fine.  I got it in a trade.  For some reason I've recently decided I would like to know just what those barrel markings mean.  I've already found some old threads discussing similar barrels, and it seems FNMI likely refers to barrels made by FN in the past, and that 4T663 is a CAGE code for an outfit in Florida that used to make replacement barrels.  I know the CM coded upper receivers are Martin Marietta contracted for Colt.  I'm guessing this is simply a replacement barrel on a GI receiver.  The problem is I can't find anything that settles the apparent disconnect between the CAGE code and the FNMI.  Would anyone care to comment?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, it is for sure a replacement barrel. It sounds like FN had the contact and subbed it out to Engineering Research.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 7:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, it is for sure a replacement barrel. It sounds like FN had the contact and subbed it out to Engineering Research.
View Quote
Well see, that was my guess too, but I wondered why FN would subcontract barrels.  Maybe they needed to meet a deadline for delivery and had to get some help?
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Found the following from an archived post from a very in the know person. He also mentioned that Colt would look to subcontractors when they where short on parts to fill a contract.

“4T663 is Engineering Research Inc. They were in business from '82 to '89. Their barrels are usually found on rebuilds when they are encountered.”
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:05:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Found the following from an archived post from a very in the know person. He also mentioned that Colt would look to subcontractors when they where short on parts to fill a contract.

“4T663 is Engineering Research Inc. They were in business from '82 to '89. Their barrels are usually found on rebuilds when they are encountered.”
View Quote
Thank you!
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top