Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 9:14:48 AM EDT
Change the 308 recoil spring to something lighter? I bought a FM9 pistol and it drives me nuts with how hard it is to charge the gun. I was looking to see what others have done with theirs.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Change the 308 recoil spring to something lighter? I bought a FM9 pistol and it drives me nuts with how hard it is to charge the gun. I was looking to see what others have done with theirs.
View Quote

FM has some "interesting" marketing.  They recommend a 308 recoil spring to "help with feeding", then tell everyone that they need to use their proprietary length "slightly shorter than everyone else's extended-length buffer" to prevent trigger reset issues (likely caused by the 308 spring moving the bolt carrier too quickly).

You should be able to install a standard carbine spring and, if the gun is engineered properly, it will feed fine.  If not, the barrel can be sent to Rudy @ Macon Armory and for a nominal fee he can recut the feed cone so it will feed practically anything with a standard spring, like they all should.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

FM has some "interesting" marketing.  They recommend a 308 recoil spring to "help with feeding", then tell everyone that they need to use their proprietary length "slightly shorter than everyone else's extended-length buffer" to prevent trigger reset issues (likely caused by the 308 spring moving the bolt carrier too quickly).

You should be able to install a standard carbine spring and, if the gun is engineered properly, it will feed fine.  If not, the barrel can be sent to Rudy @ Macon Armory and for a nominal fee he can recut the feed cone so it will feed practically anything with a standard spring, like they all should.
View Quote

Yep, FM operates like pharma.  Create the cure and then invent the disease.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#3]
This weekend I finally changed to a standard buffer spring and a heavy buffer. Worked great through 100 rounds with no issues. Charging it is a lot easier too.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top