Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2020 6:47:34 PM EDT
Picked up a specterDR last month and have been loving it. Great illumination, decent eye relief compared to an ACOG, slick 1-4x transition.

There is a noticeable yellowish hue and a line running down the left side of the optic. Is this normal or is there something going on with my optic?

Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]
My two Spectre's don't appear to have that.

Call them.   I've yet to hear about a bad CS experience with Elcan.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a SpecterDR 7.62 1-4x on my Colt .308 and don't see anything like that either.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I came in to say that I feel like my DR has a slightly warmer tint, I guess I’m not alone.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Talked to tech support today and they are forwarding the concern to one of their other techs so no update yet. Purchased the optic through euro optic who said I have to deal with Armament directly.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 2:07:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Talked to tech support today and they are forwarding the concern to one of their other techs so no update yet. Purchased the optic through euro optic who said I have to deal with Armament directly.
View Quote
Yeah, IIRC, Armament deals with all US warranty stuff for ELCAN.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:23:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Please keep us posted.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 6:52:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I have 2, although I haven't seen the second one yet.  My first one has no issues, flawless as far as I can tell.  Second one was from ebay, should be waiting for me when I get home next week.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Had a similar question/concern a bit ago. General consensus was that yes, they run on the warmer end of the color spectrum. But I’m curious what the official word is.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 8:26:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Spoke with Armament tech support at length this afternoon. They say some yellow tint may be noted as you reach the edges of the eyebox and that the optic may be slightly warm in it’s hue. They also mentioned they test each unit before it leaves the factory and color is one of the parameters tested. Based on the multiple photos I sent they don’t believe anything is wrong with the unit but invited me to send it in for inspection if I’m still concerned. Regarding the vertical line on the left of the optic they said nearsighted people may notice it more as it’s an artifact of the prism and they consider it normal. I talked to a friend of mine with a similarly recently purchased specterDR and he also sees the vertical line and the slight yellow tone to the glass.

At this point I’m going to hold onto the optic and only send it in if the color of the glass or vertical line get any more pronounced.

Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:18:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I came back in to post mostly what it looks like OP officially found out. I am nearsighted. I went and looked at mine with my glasses off and noticed the same really faint line towards the side. I don’t really see it with my vision corrected. I’ve had ACOGs that would do the same thing, which does imply to me that it’s prism related.

I don’t think I’d worry about it. Your DR is fine.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Spoke with Armament tech support at length this afternoon. They say some yellow tint may be noted as you reach the edges of the eyebox and that the optic may be slightly warm in it’s hue. They also mentioned they test each unit before it leaves the factory and color is one of the parameters tested. Based on the multiple photos I sent they don’t believe anything is wrong with the unit but invited me to send it in for inspection if I’m still concerned. Regarding the vertical line on the left of the optic they said nearsighted people may notice it more as it’s an artifact of the prism and they consider it normal. I talked to a friend of mine with a similarly recently purchased specterDR and he also sees the vertical line and the slight yellow tone to the glass.

At this point I’m going to hold onto the optic and only send it in if the color of the glass or vertical line get any more pronounced.

https://i.imgur.com/d5sAtyS.jpg
View Quote
Interesting stuff.  When I get a chance, I'm going to have to go look closely at mine to see if I can detect either the line or the yellowish tint.

Or perhaps I won't.  Don't need to create a problem when I don't have one.  
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 12:11:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Interesting stuff.  When I get a chance, I'm going to have to go look closely at mine to see if I can detect either the line or the yellowish tint.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/d5sAtyS.jpg

I’ve actually never noticed it until I went looking for it because of this thread

At least the line. The hue I’m not worried about. Every piece of glass has warm or cold warmth, this one just runs more on the yellow side than blue is all. Elcans have some great glass.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 4:39:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I’ve actually never noticed it until I went looking for it because of this thread

At least the line. The hue I’m not worried about. Every piece of glass has warm or cold warmth, this one just runs more on the yellow side than blue is all. Elcans have some great glass.
View Quote
That which cannot be unseen once seen.........
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:15:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I too see a line in my Elcan...what I found...is that if you look through the optic...its a none issue...I believe the line is part of the prism.
Link Posted: 3/13/2020 3:53:17 AM EDT
[#15]
I ve had several over the years both civilian & mil issue. I don’t remember any having a warm hue or a line. I can say their CS is amazing. I had one that was off a few inches switching 1/4. I called them and they paid for return shipping and had a BNIB over night’d and waiting on my door step the next day but that was 3 or 4 years ago.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top