Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2022 8:44:54 PM EDT
I know there’s some interest in the early commercial AR15 market and figured I would post this up as a teaser. Early 4 digit PWA “commando” marked lower.
Attachment Attached File

It’s a really odd configuration with a 16” barrel that’s LW profile from the FSB forward and heavy under the hand guards. Strange buffer tube I will post pics of later and a mix of Colt stuff for the Bolt and fire control parts. More pics to follow.

I also picked up 2 pre-ban Colts but they are not retro so just these pics.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/8/2022 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. I remember PWA!
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice!

I have one of PWA's A2 Commando lowers. I used it to build an RO933 clone.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 2:44:44 AM EDT
[#3]
They were in Milan, IL, and PWA's logo looks like the old logo of that other company in Milan.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 5:06:32 AM EDT
[#4]
The main reason I bought them is they are all pre-bans and price was decent. The PWA was really reasonable for what it is.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice find on the PWA Commando! I have one below the pre-ban 35222 serial no. range. Never an issue with it when I had it in service. A close friend at the time (who had more money than brains) had a complete PWA that he brutally terrorized and abused and it ran like a swiss watch. Go figure... nothing negative to say about PWA.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:52:07 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a guy on the local trader selling a 177 clone with a PWA lower.  It's neat looking but alas not cheap enough for "F it" levels of want lol.
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 8:57:03 AM EDT
[#7]
You going to flip them to a ban state for a hefty profit or keep them?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:54:07 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m kind of torn to be honest. I collect Colts but am sitting heavy right now on ARs in general and I have actually been trying to thin out a bit. The problem is that I keep buying things when I see them for a good price.

I bought 8 guns last week and didn’t sell any others so I think I’m headed the wrong direction.
Link Posted: 1/12/2022 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#9]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/early-commercial-retro-sticky-/123-674981/
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#10]
That’s funny, I forgot that post existed and then I was looking through it and noticed I posted in it in 2015
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That’s funny, I forgot that post existed and then I was looking through it and noticed I posted in it in 2015
View Quote

Looks like many of us that did are still around and active, I enjoyed reading through that again.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 11:24:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They were in Milan, IL, and PWA's logo looks like the old logo of that other company in Milan.
View Quote

Probably a reason for that
Link Posted: 1/17/2022 8:47:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Have a PWA dated from 1990 I bought new.  Mis-stamped serial number they ground out a number at the end and added a letter before it was finished. Lady that sent me the email dating it said there was at least one other with the same serial number and a letter stuck at the end. Saying hi to the owner with the ugly A stamped at the end of the serial number.
Link Posted: 1/22/2022 10:54:50 AM EDT
[#14]
I've got a PWA lower that I've had since the early 1990's.  It has been used extensively, built into several forms, and currently exists with a Colt/Diemaco 16" M4 upper, Knight's RAS, etc as many of us built in the early 2000's (we called them "M4geries")  I guess it's somewhat retro today,   pretty close to what was fielded early in the GWOT after 9/11.  I don't have a pic handy showing the logo side of the lower...  Thousands of rounds through it in this config, no issues at all with the lower, ever.

Link Posted: 1/22/2022 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Back in the mid-80's the old gunsmith I used to build my IPSC 1911s was also a Class 3 SOT.

Obviously he had quite a few NFA guns and a couple of his M16s had early PWA lowers like the top one.

He had three Thompsons and a few Mac10s and Mac11s and a S&W 76 and other assorted full autos.
I knew him for gunsmithing as he was a retired master machinist with a killer machine shop.
He had been a big time Bullseye shooter and knew 1911s like the back of his hand.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top