Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2021 11:16:17 PM EDT
FYI - This is my first post on this site. If I’m in the wrong place, please advise.
Generally speaking, can anyone tell me if there is a greater demand and/or greater value in a 1968-70 Colt M16A1, no forge code, black luged, counter bored front lug, Colt proof marked, gray/blue anodized upper with forward assist  — compared to a — 1980s era Colt M16A1 upper with CH forge codes with forward assist?  Both are in comparably, excellent condition. I’m not buying, selling or trading. I’m simply trying to increase my knowledge of the value, rarity and demand for the uppers that I have. After following the erratic nature of GB auctions for the last year I don’t think I can determine the answer to my question there. Any knowledge that you can share would be appreciated. Thanks
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:20:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, this appears to be your third post on the site , welcome.

Generally speaking, a quite easy and simple rule of thumb to follow is “the earlier it is, the more rare it is, and thus the more valuable it is.” This isn’t true for everything but, generally it holds true when talking about the 20” rifle length ARs. When we are talking about carbines, oddballs, accessories, etc, the story changes a bit.

I would definitely say a Vietnam Era upper is far more valuable and desirable than a late model 603.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 11:28:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Also, “early” is indeed a subjective term, but for the purposes of this forum, 1968-1970 and the 1980s would most certainly not be considered “early.” Here, “early” AR-15s would be 1957-1964 to 1965ish depending on the train of thought you subscribe to. To me 1964 and before is “early,” 1965-1967 is “transitional,” and 1968 and onward is “late” when talking about 600-series ARs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 9:59:26 PM EDT
[#3]
for me the xm16e1's are way more cool and desirable. You should take some pics of the area directly to the top right of the ejection port and we can see if its an early(square), mid(more rounded) or late(round) forge for that early xm16e1 upper.  If its an early square forge, that is rare!  I would love to have one.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Here are some pics of the upper. One of them shows the stamp fairly well. (I think it may be the second pic) What can I learn from this?

Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:22:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Colt round forge upper receiver. I don’t see the “VP in a Triangle” proof, but it is a Colt. Barrel markings would be helpful.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 3:40:54 PM EDT
[#7]
That upper looks like it has been painted, which may be why the VP proof mark is not visable
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Agreed, it is painted.  You can see the overspray on the black anodized lug.  This is however I believe how the armorers did it back in the day.  I forget the name of that paint, but you can still find it today.  I wouldnt try to remove it, as it looks good.  That is a round forge upper, which is later.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:12:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Barrel is marked C MP CHROME BORE.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 12:31:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I didn’t realize it was painted but now that I take a close look at the black lugs and see the gray on them I see what you’re saying. Not what I was hoping to learn but glad I know it now I guess. Think I may see what I can get for it on G.B. but I’m not too optimistic that it’ll be much. I saw a bunch of freshly Cerakoted Colt uppers advertised there a month or so ago for only $139 each. That may be about all I can hope for. Pretty disappointed but appreciate your input and knowledge.
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 2:26:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Agreed, it is painted.  You can see the overspray on the black anodized lug.  This is however I believe how the armorers did it back in the day.  I forget the name of that paint, but you can still find it today.
View Quote
@tulizzy

Dry film lubricant?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 5:06:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Ill take the upper if you get rid of it.  Sent you a PM.  Thanks
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top