Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2020 7:15:00 PM EDT
So during the past few months I've made my 12.5" grendel my truck gun for when I see coyotes out in the fields. One evening I had 3 yotes about 180 out so I got set up nailed the first one the failure to feed, dropped the mag missed high on the second dog, failure to feed second round for the follow up shot switched mags again but they were gone. Anyone else having issues with the e-landers? It was about 15degree F at the time but I wouldnt think that would matter, it looked like the rounds were kinda tilted not clearing the front of the mag as we used to see before anti tilt followers. Ammo was 220g fusion
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:22:48 PM EDT
[#1]
120g fusion, sorry fat fingered it
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:52:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I had issues inserting on closed bolt but never any issues if I had it locked back first.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had the mags loaded in my truck since October I wonder if that caused the malfunction I've never had that problem with GI,Pmag, or lancer
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I suggest you do more testing but at 15 degrees I wonder if it was a lube problem, low pressure problem on the ammo or magazine issue.    It’s known fact that lower temperature produces less pressure and velocity.  If your using an adjustable gas block you might need more gas.  Ballistic Advantage 6.5 Grendel barrel tend to run small gas ports.  The BA barrel might run fine at 40 degrees but not have enough gas at 15 degrees.   If your using a heavier buffer you might need a lighter buffer in cold weather.  Without knowing the specific parts your using in your build it’s hard to say what is the problem.

Some lube thicken in colder temperatures which can impede functioning until the rifle warms up.   I’d clean and inspect the rifle and magazine before trying to test the rifle/magazine and ammo again at the same or colder temperature.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:16:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The 24 round version I have can't be loaded past 8-10 otherwise they nose dive in the mag when being fed. I hand load and have tried shortening the oal to no avail.

I quit using it and went back to 10 round ASC. I also have a 25ish round ASC I bought recently but haven't had the chance to hunt with it yet
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:38:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a Grendel a few years ago and out of the 10 17-round ELanders I had at the time, I would randomly have those same issues.

Recently built another one and picked up 15 17-round ELanders and haven’t had any issues with them in cold weather.

Visually, there doesn’t appear to be any difference between the new ones I have and old ones I got rid of (from what I can remember), but who knows.

Lack of widely reliable mags is my main gripe with the Grendel and the reason I’d never use one in a “serious” role.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 10:54:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:41:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a Grendel a few years ago and out of the 10 17-round ELanders I had at the time, I would randomly have those same issues.

Recently built another one and picked up 15 17-round ELanders and haven’t had any issues with them in cold weather.

Visually, there doesn’t appear to be any difference between the new ones I have and old ones I got rid of (from what I can remember), but who knows.

Lack of widely reliable mags is my main gripe with the Grendel and the reason I’d never use one in a “serious” role.
View Quote
Not a single jam with my asc's.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys I'll pick up some asc mags and give them a shot.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:08:26 PM EDT
[#10]
My elanders work fine.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My elanders work fine.
View Quote
Same here...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 5:13:22 PM EDT
[#12]
I've seen issues with shooting prone and allowing the mag to dig in the dirt, caused a few malfunctions till I figured out what was happening.

You are not holding the magwell during firing are you?
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top