Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/7/2024 12:01:16 PM EDT
Thinking about leaving the dust cover off the upper I'm building with a WC billet upper without FA, and a 20"WC heavy .223 Wylde fluted barrel. What rifles do you consider them pretty much not needed? Any reason to always have a dust cover?
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:17:15 PM EDT
[#1]
My opinion, which is worth what you paid for it, is it depends. I live in the high desert. It’s extremely dusty here 7 to 9 months out of the year. In the field, whether it’s hunting or training, everything ends up covered in a thick layer of dust. Thus, I consider a dust cover mandatory for any rifle that sees the field in my area.

For billet receivers I really like the Strike Industries Ultimate Dust Cover. It’s adjustable and easy to install.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 12:26:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#2]
If the upper is made to have one, why would you not install a sub $10 part that helps prevent foreign debris from entering the action of your weapon?  
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
If the upper is made to have one, why would you not install a sub $10 part that helps prevent foreign debris from entering the action of your weapon?  
View Quote

Handguard is already installed, and he forgot to do it?

Yes, idk why you wouldn't use it.  Not like it weighs much.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:07:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By THEdtw:

View Quote

Not as easy but you can install from the rear.  Like sling swivels, not always needed but there comes a time that you find it useful.  Never seen any malfunction caused by the dust cover but it can prevent them by keeping debris out.  My 18" match and varmint rifle has them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:27:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Why would you NOT have it? Its a functional part to keep shit out of the most important place on the rifle. Get it laser engraved with chambering for additional function, or punisher skulls for additional cringe.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:48:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#7]
Originally Posted By Lakerat:

Thinking about leaving the dust cover off the upper I'm building with a WC billet upper without FA, and a 20"WC heavy .223 Wylde fluted barrel. What rifles do you consider them pretty much not needed? Any reason to always have a dust cover?
View Quote

One of the finest AR-15 upper receivers ever manufactured was designed not to have a dust cover and nobody who actually owns one complains about it not having a dust cover.

Unless this will be a rifle that you might one day have to bet your life on, it won't be the end of the world not having a dust cover.

Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:35:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#8]
Originally Posted By Molon:

One of the finest AR-15 upper receivers ever manufactured was designed not to have a dust cover and nobody who actually owns one complains about it not having a dust cover.

Unless this will be a rifle that you might one day have to bet your life on, it won't be the end of the world not having a dust cover.

https://i.ibb.co/Kb4Vp3x/jp-upper-receiver-00b.jpg

View Quote

I actually complained. lol. I had a JP side charging upper and they used to make it with the forward assist and dust cover wtih the FMOS bcg. It was my first build and I had it for about 8 years before I shot it out. I really liked the upper but unfortunately sold it stupidly not knowing they weren't making the side charger with the forward assist anymore. Had I known they were never made I probably would have taken the barrel out and just replaced it.

I guess for the OP, I don't see why you would or wouldn't. It's your rifle and if you want to carry it around without a dust cover that's fine. Will it jam? Probably not and even in really dusty/sandy environment, there's still a good chance the dust will clog it once you fire it or just stay outdoors long enough.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one with a slickside upper, dang dust gets on the BCG even when it's in the house, if I could put one on there I would. Wouldn't have used it except for it was so cheap and as luck would have it was an absolutely perfect matching fit for one of my lowers, that kinda fit is hard to come by when building your own, so it stays and I dust the fucker now and then.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:43:11 PM EDT
[#10]
If you're betting your life on your rifle in dusty, dirty environments, then yes, it's recommended you have a dust cover and keep it closed.

Otherwise, you'll never notice a difference. If you're penny-pinching ounces to reduce weight, leave it off. If you want something hanging off the side of your rifle to fuck around with when you're bored, leave it on.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 7:57:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
View Quote

I was just messing with one AR and realized the c clip has vanished so I removed the cover & rod all together. It is a range toy + weight reduction lol
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 8:43:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:
If you're betting your life on your rifle in dusty, dirty environments, then yes, it's recommended you have a dust cover and keep it closed.

Otherwise, you'll never notice a difference. If you're penny-pinching ounces to reduce weight, leave it off. If you want something hanging off the side of your rifle to fuck around with when you're bored, leave it on.
View Quote

Maybe not your life depending on it but a lot of hunting trips ended early because someone dropped their rifle or had a debris get in. It’s possible you can drop your rifle climbing over something and it can fall just right such that mud or something goes straight into the action or into the bore.

If you’re going somewhere best to take a cleaning kit with you. At least you can push out or get rid of something most of the time.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:27:04 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote

JP is so underrated in the community. They really are top notch for what they are and what they do. Not underrated when it comes to paying for them though. I bet that wasn’t cheap.

Unless it is an upper like the JP, if the upper can use an ejection port cover, why not. If you messed up you can get a
Magpul or a few others that you just pop right in. It is a challenge to put one from the left side. I bent a rod trying
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:53:00 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm trying to figger out how to take mine off the Fold AR, lol.  It will live its life in a bag.  Not even sure I'll carry a sling with it.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:29:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Ever wonder where the port door comes from?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#16]
None of my competition rifles have had dust covers. Never an issue. I dont live in the desert and i clean between every match.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 1:54:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Have had all types of weather at matches.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 3:08:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Nickel_Plated:

View Quote

If there's little dust risk having the cover is probably most wise for storage but not required while moving about
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 4:45:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Combat_Diver:
Ever wonder where the port door comes from?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32677/M98_und_MP44_mit_Patr_resized_jpg-3182878.JPG
View Quote

As did the Ak-47
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:32:20 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Lakerat:

I wonder what makes it one of the finest uppers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#21]
I didn't forget it. I hadn't even received it yet when I asked the question. I installed a dust cover before installing the barrel.
Link Posted: Yesterday 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#22]
A number of manufacturers have offered "slick side" uppers without dust coverers. I wouldn't have a problem without one on a target gun, range toy, something like that. Lots of military rifles have had the action open to the elements.
Link Posted: Yesterday 2:13:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: racer765] [#23]
Originally Posted By THEdtw:

View Quote

magpul and strike industries make snap in dust covers, I have them both.  

I like both of them.  the strike industries uses a self spring pivot pin for one side, I didn't like it initially but it's been good to go.  the magpul uses actual spring loaded pin for the pivot.

eta: someone else pointed out the KAK cover, it's aluminum, forgot about it.
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a few billet uppers that do not have dust covers nor a way to attach one.  My reasoning is the rifle will be carried in it's soft case /bag until it is set up, and will not get exposed to dirt or debris.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top