Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2021 11:58:28 PM EDT
About 10 years ago, I bought a highly used... And abused Colt AR-15 SP1 rifle with the Coltguard finish that was worn in numerous areas.   The upper receiver is dinged and gouged in a few areas where, IMHO, is beyond saving.

The lower receiver is in very good condition, but the finish is very worn.

Anyway, I have a replacement Colt SP1 upper receiver and I’m thinking of having it refinished in a DuraCoat/CeraKote finish in a Coltguard nickel/silver finish.  If there isn’t a close DuraCoat/CeraKote finish to match the original Coltguard, I’d push forward with “Plan B,” which is to have it refinished in an early/mid 80s Colt gray.

Not looking to have it “pimped out in bright/polished silver, but seeking the original flat/mat nickel-like finish.

Does either DuraCoat or CeraKote have a finish that’s a close match to the original Colt finish?

I bought it for $450-$500, due to its condition and at the time, figured that I was still in the “green” if I ended up parting out the rifle.  But, in this current climate, I want to either have her restored to something close to the original Coltguard or simply just have it refinished in a period correct Colt gray.

Yes, I know that either way, the collector value is greatly lessen, but in her current condition, she’s basically screwed as well, so it is what it is.

Heck, if I do end up going with “Plan B,” I’m thinking of adding a Colt A1 upper receiver with the forward assist.

Thanks for any thoughts and information on bringing her back into her glory!!

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 12:20:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Coltguard AR15 and after seeing them sell for upwards of $3500 I'd find send it off and have it refinished in electroless nickel. A search shows a company in Pennsylvania that charges $175 for long guns.

Edit-I'd strip it down first to preserve the black parts.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top