Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2021 3:00:37 AM EDT
Just getting into the LPVO market and had a question about reticles with ranging info. If I ran a 1-6x, would the values be respective at 3x?
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 3:20:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Second focal plane increases in angular size at lower power. Half the power = double the size at the same distance.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Need-a-logic-check-regarding-Second-Focal-Plane/18-762829/#i8265963
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:23:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just getting into the LPVO market and had a question about reticles with ranging info. If I ran a 1-6x, would the values be respective at 3x?
View Quote

With first focal plane, yes, the reticle increases or decreases in size relative to the magnification.  With second focal plane the reticle remains the same size regardless of magnification so you would need to be on 6x for ranging and BDC purposes, but then if you need ranging and BDC you are likely going to be zoomed up anyway.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 10:25:41 AM EDT
[#3]
First focal plane, yes. The reticle is magnified with the field of view.

Second focal plane, no. The ranging would only be accurate at max magnification as the reticle is always the same size.

I personally dislike FFP on an LPVO.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 12:29:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Second focal plane increases in angular size at lower power. Half the power = double the size at the same distance.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Need-a-logic-check-regarding-Second-Focal-Plane/18-762829/#i8265963
View Quote

Thank you, that's what I was thinking.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top