Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2018 4:05:23 PM EDT
No it isn't a typo.   I was at a gun show today and besides picking up a nice .22 Colt Trooper III they had a never fired Colt AR-15 chambered in .222.    I know these guns were made for export to countries such as Italy, Mexico and saw somewhere limited to Canada (where military and NATO calibers were not allowed).

The most recent one I found that sold was in 2010 but no idea of price.   Any idea what a price range would be on a .222 never fired?  FYII have 2 Colt .223s and a Rock River....so I know what I am talking about when I say .222....sorry other postings I see people argue that the person doesn't know what they are talking about.    Any info would be much appreciated as I am trying to determine if the price is high or in line.   There just isn't much to go on.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you are desperately trying to fill a hole in a Colt collection, I wouldn't really put a value premium over a similarly outfitted / condition SP1 in .223
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I would not jump through hoops to get one, but I have seen a bit of a premium on the .222 models, they are not always easy to find and get scooped up pretty quick at the gun shows.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, Colt made some in .222. I owned one, new without box, and sold it about a year ago for $2500.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#4]
The Colt marked .222 magazines are collectible, and command a premium over .223/5.56 magazines, even though they are identical except for the floorplates
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#5]
a NIB .222 w/ Colt letter sold for $5875 back in June.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:33:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Already got two of those - one H-bar unfired, still in the original grease with box.  It landed in my lap and must have caught my dealer on a good day because he let it go extremely reasonable.....but then I have put his kids through college at least twice with my spending.   My husband knows that one is off limits for firing.  I know I will never find another one.   I have a 16" pre-ban that I do shoot.    I have  a thing for Colt ARs and this one caught my attention because it hasn't been fired from what I can see and have never seen a .222.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:37:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.   That gives me some indication that the the price the guy had on it at the gun show is fair and would give me a nice profit if I bought it, held it for a while and then sold it.

This is a collection that will have some things turned out periodically - although I have yet to part with anything....
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:50:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
a NIB .222 w/ Colt letter sold for $5875 back in June.
View Quote
I believe that was the one that was sort of misrepresented. The auction said only X (very small number) of them were available in the US, and confirmed by a Colt letter. However that letter was very old and outdated.

A few years later a bunch more hit the market.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 2:58:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I believe that was the one that was sort of misrepresented. The auction said only X (very small number) of them were available in the US, and confirmed by a Colt letter. However that letter was very old and outdated.

A few years later a bunch more hit the market.
View Quote
Do you know what the total number is?  The letter from that auction was from 92 and the it had a SP212xxx serial.  My NIB one has the SP359xxx serial.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 4:38:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Do you know what the total number is?  The letter from that auction was from 92 and the it had a SP212xxx serial.  My NIB one has the SP359xxx serial.
View Quote
I believe the first batch was 149 produced with 50 that stayed in the US. The 2nd batch was a couple thousand IIRC

here is one that sold this year for $2300

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/73/3668/colt-ar-15a2rifle-rifle-222-rem

They pop up on Gunbroker a few times a year. There was one on there for nearly a year at $3500 that never sold.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top