Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/9/2020 1:34:22 PM EDT
I have plenty of pictures from around the web, I need some high quality photos of the FN A2 that is roll-stamped for a project I am working on. I don’t need the full serial, just the first two digits. If someone has a real one I will make it worth your time to help me.

Thank You

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:57:03 PM EDT
[#1]
All I can offer is stuff from the web, but this pic from reddit seems the highest quality on the web, very large photo and decently straight-on. Certainly larger than any arfcom pics I found, and it has a Colt A2 in it as a bonus.

Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:13:05 AM EDT
[#2]
That’s the best image I’ve seen on a late FN A2 lower. The only one I had seen previously where I could actually read the serial number was the one from another member that I reposted in the lower variations thread. I’ll add this one to that thread if you don’t mind. Thanks a lot for posting it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 1:23:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That’s the best image I’ve seen on a late FN A2 lower. The only one I had seen previously where I could actually read the serial number was the one from another member that I reposted in the lower variations thread. I’ll add this one to that thread if you don’t mind. Thanks a lot for posting it.
View Quote

Maybe Techno's seen it but couldn't hurt. If you click through to the imgur link on the pic I posted, you can see it zooms quite a bit and the natural resolution is 3k x 2k, should hopefully be good enough!

Edit: here's another reddit FN A2. Not as good quality but these are the two most unique images, not posted to arfcom before, that I could find.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 10:46:57 AM EDT
[#4]
That last one is really interesting. It looks like it was made right during the transition to the M16A4. The lower was probably already marked as an A2, but they shifted over to A4 production and applied an A4 serial number to it (much higher number series). Thanks for posting that one too.

I found the original image through your link - thanks. I'm reluctant to post the linked image in the pinned A2 lower thread in case it gets taken down eventually, so I'll probably upload a copy directly to the lower thread. I'm not sure how much this site compresses images when you upload them, but I'll try for as high resolution as possible.

By the way, it's really interesting to see the FN CAGE code on the hammer in the first photo you posted. I don't think I've ever seen that before, but of course, the hammer's usually not visible in photos.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That last one is really interesting. It looks like it was made right during the transition to the M16A4. The lower was probably already marked as an A2, but they shifted over to A4 production and applied an A4 serial number to it (much higher number series). Thanks for posting that one too.

I found the original image through your link - thanks. I'm reluctant to post the linked image in the pinned A2 lower thread in case it gets taken down eventually, so I'll probably upload a copy directly to the lower thread. I'm not sure how much this site compresses images when you upload them, but I'll try for as high resolution as possible.

By the way, it's really interesting to see the FN CAGE code on the hammer in the first photo you posted. I don't think I've ever seen that before, but of course, the hammer's usually not visible in photos.
View Quote

It's more than that even - look at the "M16A2", it's very far left-aligned (unlike the first pic I posted) and has a 3 next to it that is also crossed out. This started off life as an A2, restamped an A3, and then finally restamped an A4. I've never seen the far-left aligning before, very convenient for future restamping though.

And I misunderstood when you first asked, feel free to repost both these pics to the stickied threads. They're not mine after all.
I agree about the cage code hammer, maybe it's possible all FCG parts had identifying marks, like a hold-over from the days of the A1.
Link Posted: 8/11/2020 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
That’s a good one, thank you! That’s what I needed. Very grateful.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 5:45:28 PM EDT
[#7]
All the FN's I ever carried were deeply purple.
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 5:49:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Is black an acceptable color for FN A2

We’re some black some grey? I have a grey fn upper, I wonder if it was refinished.

I see, purple. Makes me wonder about the upper
Link Posted: 8/13/2020 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Early FN A2's were black, and had electro-dot serial numbers. I handled hundreds of them, and serial # inventories required chalk.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Is black an acceptable color for FN A2

We’re some black some grey? I have a grey fn upper, I wonder if it was refinished.

I see, purple. Makes me wonder about the upper
View Quote

In my experience, the answer to all of your questions is “yes.” I’ve found that many FN lowers were very dark in color, and matching upper and lower receivers were the exception, not the rule:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Quoted:
Early FN A2's were black, and had electro-dot serial numbers. I handled hundreds of them, and serial # inventories required chalk.
View Quote

All the labeling on the early FNs was done in that electro-dot style, including the logo. They looked pretty rough!
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Great pics 3ACR...All of this is making me want to build a clone FN A2, and I'm not even done building the clone Colt A2!..And I'm building an Airforce A1 to A2 Capco conversion on an H&R clone A1 lower

Not to mention FK marked A2 uppers are unobtanium.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 9:24:36 AM EDT
[#12]
There are two FK A2 uppers on GB right now, one is a complete surplus upper receiver group that I expect may approach $1K in these crazy times when it ends, and the other is just an upper receiver with charging handle (which I think is fairly priced at $199 right now - not great, but fair). It's interesting to see how many FK forging variations there are. The two on GB have small FK letters side by side. I'm used to seeing larger letters in the arrangement. Nearly all the Army FN uppers I've seen have a staggered FK arrangement like this one that I got off GB last year:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 11:54:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
There are two FK A2 uppers on GB right now, one is a complete surplus upper receiver group that I expect may approach $1K in these crazy times when it ends, and the other is just an upper receiver with charging handle (which I think is fairly priced at $199 right now - not great, but fair). It's interesting to see how many FK forging variations there are. The two on GB have small FK letters side by side. I'm used to seeing larger letters in the arrangement. Nearly all the Army FN uppers I've seen have a staggered FK arrangement like this one that I got off GB last year:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27888/FN_M16A2_Upper_Receiver_2_jpeg-1015676.JPG
View Quote

Yeah I consider a simple A2 upper reaching as high as this one has to be unobtanium...I got a NOS Colt M16A2 upper last year, CM marked, with charging handle and BCG for less than the current bid on that used FN upper.
We'll see what turns up.
Link Posted: 8/14/2020 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#14]
If someone made some you would pick the color that is the most widely known and Accepted. Pick the best example of the roll stamp and just stick with it. Make the one best examples ever, it may not be right for every year but the other options are engraving.
The purple seems to make a lot of sense. It would have to be on Cerro lowers unless someone is sitting on a stack of other blanks.

I know everyone wants the pony but if you can make a perfect copy of the FN, I vote for the perfect copy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 11:01:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If someone made some you would pick the color that is the most widely known and Accepted. Pick the best example of the roll stamp and just stick with it. Make the one best examples ever, it may not be right for every year but the other options are engraving.
The purple seems to make a lot of sense. It would have to be on Cerro lowers unless someone is sitting on a stack of other blanks.

I know everyone wants the pony but if you can make a perfect copy of the FN, I vote for the perfect copy.
View Quote

I was 0311 for 5 years. I never saw a new M16. They were all well worn, with the edges polished bare aluminum. I saw one upper (I assume an FN),on a gray lower, that was so purple I thought it was painted with a sharpie marker.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 9:34:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I was 0311 for 5 years. I never saw a new M16. They were all well worn, with the edges polished bare aluminum. I saw one upper (I assume an FN),on a gray lower, that was so purple I thought it was painted with a sharpie marker.
View Quote

It just depends when you were in. My 4 years as an 0311 I had 1 virtually unissued and 1 with light wear. The virtually unissued rifle I got in 1987 was matching top and bottom, there was no color difference between the smooth stock and semi-gloss hand guards and the aluminum parts, but the port door was gray.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 9:40:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27888/FN_M16A2_Upper_Receiver_2_jpeg-1015676.JPG
View Quote

$1225 for an FN A2 upper, from a NR bidder . I think I'll stick to the EE and the guys who are nice enough to sell on it here.
I'm guessing this upper will be back on the market soon with a starting bid of $1500.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:33:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Wow, it's a nice-looking upper (I haven't seen the FK mark on a complete one very often), but that's crazy. Double what I paid for my Anchor Harvey from Shark, although mine's probably considered a less desirable forge mark with the stamped F.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 2:27:09 AM EDT
[#19]
FN lowers are all I was ever issued.  I'd take an accurate FN M16A2 lower over a colt any day just for nostalgia's sake.  Guess I need to watch your sales more closely for potential new additions
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top