Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2023 8:42:34 PM EDT
Does the gas port location make a difference with piston systems?  I'm considering building a 12.5" upper do I gain or lose anything going midlength or carbine?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Piston guns suffer the same gas issues based on gas port locations as DI guns due to bore pressure at varying barrel lengths and port locations.

Link Posted: 5/26/2023 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#2]
@APSArmament
That makes sense.  I have both carbine and midlength barrels I could use for a conversion.  I would like to use the midlength to make the block more accessible.  Do you have any suggestions or opinions?
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 7:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JTX23:
@APSArmament
That makes sense.  I have both carbine and midlength barrels I could use for a conversion.  I would like to use the midlength to make the block more accessible.  Do you have any suggestions or opinions?
View Quote

Not any you'd like. I'm a big fan of factory designed piston guns as it's so easy to screw up an AR piston conversion.

And i'm also a fan of the best AR piston design ever which is the teutonic goodness of the HK416. Something out of most peoples budget.
Link Posted: 6/6/2023 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 12.5" with mid-length gas system and a Adam's Arms piston kit on it. I had to open the gas port to something like 0.1 because of the short dwell time. I made it reliable, but it took lots of tuning.
Page AR-15 » AR Piston Systems
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top