Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:45:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, and I use them as grips as opposed to a handstop. Frag wound to my left wrist makes the C-Clamp hold kinda uncomfortable.
View Quote
Without the frag wound their is an unnatural wrist position to c-clamping.  It restricts blood movement.  Try doing it for half a day off-and-on.  It's awful
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'm kinda weird.  VFG for SBR.  No VFG on 16".  I think it's more of a comfort thing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some have and some don't.
Do you have a slight preference of yes vs no?  If you do, what reason to not lean towards your preference on all rifles?
I'm kinda weird.  VFG for SBR.  No VFG on 16".  I think it's more of a comfort thing.
Comfort as in psyche or literal?  I guess I'm OCD and binarily pick one favorite over the other...and go with it moving forward.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 11:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, still use them but more as handstops on almost all my guns.  BCM (short one that angles back), Larue FUG, magpul short straight.

Only VFG I use with my hand wrapped around it is the AUG.  You will only make the C clamp or handstop type grip mistake once.....
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:03:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, a KAC on my patrol rifle, my only rifle with a quad rail.  I use it like a AFG to index my thumb straight along my pressure switch.  I use it as a rest if the situation allows.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, a KAC on my patrol rifle, my only rifle with a quad rail.  I use it like a AFG to index my thumb straight along my pressure switch.  I use it as a rest if the situation allows.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 2:21:50 AM EDT
[#6]
I use them as an index point

Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:46:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, NY tells us that they're all evil!

Of course, they tell us a lot of crazy bulls**t.

I do have an index tab (couldn't possibly grip it) from a handstop kit to keep my hand where it needs to be to use my weapon light (warning: may offend some posters' fragile sensibilities):

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/403150/20180824_120652-sm-677625.JPG
View Quote
The one on the left... I like it.
View Quote
Thanks.  Me, too.

Quoted:
That made me sad.
View Quote
NY is in a sad state and it's only going to get worse.  That said, I'm never sad about the one on the left.  I would own it even if I moved.  Obviously, the right has more compromises, but it is still very, very effective and easy to shoot.

Quoted:
Good joke... where are the real ones now?
View Quote
Not saying there are any, but if there were any, they wouldn't be shown here.

Quoted:
Is that a Remington Special Field stock on the left gun?
View Quote
Yup.  That's my favorite rifle.  Very handy.  Call it my wolf in sheep's clothing.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:59:18 AM EDT
[#8]
No, tried both an AFG & VFG and didn't like either, too much extra stuff hanging off the bottom of the gun.  Might try a small handstop sometime and see how they are.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 8:08:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
No, tried both an AFG & VFG and didn't like either, too much extra stuff hanging off the bottom of the gun.  Might try a small handstop sometime and see how they are.
View Quote
You might like the BCM kag. Super light and small.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:21:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
You might like one of these then, Mlok and KeyMod
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 11:07:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use them as an index point

https://i.imgur.com/T9uXpc5.jpg
View Quote
I like those setups
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 12:59:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:09:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't have any currently, but I have been thinking of going back to it. Not sure if this small handstop stuff is for me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:14:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 1:45:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I have several.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Pretty much how I like mine. Right above with the light pad.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Always liked this pic as a good example of the two different ways a VFG gets employed...

The guy on the right side is using the "Choke your Chicken" format...

The guy on the left side is using it the way I have always used it. Puts the non firing hand at a comfortable position, allows an indexing point as others have mentioned, and places my hand at the optimum location to use my light. You can also pull the gun in tight to control recoil when making fast shots on close multiple targets.

I've tried them all over the years, from the original KAC "Gangster grips" that were part of the late 90's SOPMOD kits to the Tango down (There is a reason they came out with the shorter, chopped version). I bought one of those after I chopped a couple of the KAC units to a stubby configuration.

The BCM I use now is my favorite. has the right amount of thickness, with a slight angle, solid mounting hardware and the storage works great for spare batteries, small Allen wrenches, small bottle of lube, etc.

You can also use it to index up hard against a barricade to steady yourself when taking shots behind cover as well.  Like any martial art.. you study, refine, practice and hone your technique... adapt and change as you progress in the discipline.

If your just shooting 1 liter soda pop bottles on the back forty, then yea, you most likely don't need or want one.

You can watch lots of vids on line to see who actually uses them as part of how they run the gun, or if  it's just a cool accessory.  They usual go from the grip, to a reload and then grip in a different place on the gun, ignoring the VFG... always makes me chuckle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 3:45:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/Xz1v7UM.jpg

Always liked this pic as a good example of the two different ways a VFG gets employed...

The guy on the left side is using it the way I have always used it. Puts the non firing hand at a comfortable position, allows an indexing point as others have mentioned, and places my hand at the optimum location to use my light. You can also pull the gun in tight to control recoil when making fast shots on close multiple targets.

I've tried them all over the years, from the original KAC "Gangster grips" that were part of the late 90's SOPMOD kits to the Tango down (There is a reason they came out with the shorter, chopped version). I bought one of those after I chopped a couple of the KAC units to a stubby configuration.

The BCM I use now is my favorite. has the right amount of thickness, with a slight angle, solid mounting hardware and the storage works great for spare batteries, small Allen wrenches, small bottle of lube, etc.

You can also use it to index up hard against a barricade to steady yourself when taking shots behind cover as well.  Like any martial art.. you study, refine, practice and hone your technique... adapt and change as you progress in the discipline.

If your just shooting 1 liter soda pop bottles on the back forty, then yea, you most likely don't need or want one.

You can watch lots of vids on line to see who actually uses them as part of how they run the gun, or if  it's just a cool accessory.  They usual go from the grip, to a reload and then grip in a different place on the gun, ignoring the VFG... always makes me chuckle.
View Quote
I use mine similar to the 2nd guy.  All fingers wrapped around VFG and thumb near or over bore.  By far the least wrist discomfort and good control still.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:19:15 PM EDT
[#19]
They have their uses

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:44:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Two words. Grip. Pod.

Fat, ugly, bulky, but got dam useful.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 9:51:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Two words. Grip. Pod.

View Quote
The fat, ugly, bulky moves me towards "there are better options"
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:09:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:46:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Two words. Grip. Pod.

Is there a newer sleeker forgrip/bipod combo? Serious question.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:46:47 PM EDT
[#24]
On my rifles that have them, they are the stubby variety by either Magpul or TangoDown. I use them as several guys mentioned above, with my fingers sort of tucked into that right angle between the grip and the handguard.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:55:35 PM EDT
[#25]
I have one on a bumpstock-equipped rifle, as it makes it easier to push the gun forward to get the bumpstock to work properly.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:51:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Same here.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/648/20180728_164232-622185.jpg

This is exactly how l use mine;
View Quote
This. BCM stubby VFG used mainly as a handstop, but I do less C clamp than most.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#27]
The few times I considered getting a VFG was for carbine length hand guards.  Reason being is I'm used to longer hand guards and I can use the VFG to keep from accidentally burning my hand on the barrel.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Have one on my work gun and by goto rifle.

For some reason, using it makes it easier to shoulder the gun when using a plate carrier.  Less fatiguing.  Idk.  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 1:02:03 PM EDT
[#29]
I have the Bravo Company Vertical Grip.  It's vertical, but angled like 15 degrees.   Makes for really comfortable hand positioning when using as a handstop.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/manageReply.html?b=3&f=118&t=731613&tl=Do-you-still-have-VFG-on-your-AR-&r=7742311&page=1#
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 2:55:24 PM EDT
[#30]
It's an on again-off again affair

Link Posted: 9/24/2018 4:55:06 PM EDT
[#31]
What the hell is going on with that Ranger plate?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#32]
All my guns. I'm a VFG fan.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:56:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Out of curiosity, what's the hive's opinion on folding grips? Good? Bad? Gimick?
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:13:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Out of curiosity, what's the hive's opinion on folding grips? Good? Bad? Gimick?
View Quote
Gimmick, If I thought they were a good idea, I would have one...It's the idea if 'Maybe you use it, maybe not."

Either commit to one all the time or not at all.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:28:51 PM EDT
[#35]
My go to is a BCM gunfighter grip which isn't vert but I use it as a hand stop anyways.

I also have an original KAC vert grip that I used in Iraq that is going on my SPR MK12-ish build that I will also use as a hand stop.

Really my point is pretty much it doesn't matter if it's a vert grip, I will be using it as a hand stop.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Just the one, because I like my fingers, and the charging handles reciprocate...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/IMG_20160922_202807631-677423.JPG
View Quote
What is that? Its awesome!

Anyways, I have a Magpul M-Lok VFG on mine, but im likely going to be swaping it out in time.

*Edit*

For anyone curious.

Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Yes, on three of them, in fact. I like them.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:26:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Anyways, I have a Magpul M-Lok VFG on mine, but im likely going to be swaping it out in time.

*Edit*

For anyone curious.

https://i.imgur.com/rWSDtOR.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just the one, because I like my fingers, and the charging handles reciprocate...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/173511/IMG_20160922_202807631-677423.JPG

*Edit*

For anyone curious.

https://i.imgur.com/rWSDtOR.jpg
What length is it?  The TG is exactly 3".  It's perfect
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Gimmick, If I thought they were a good idea, I would have one...It's the idea if 'Maybe you use it, maybe not."

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use one on my big heavy AR. It makes shooting while standing possible but is out of my way when using the bipod. In this situation it helps.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What the hell is going on with that Ranger plate?
View Quote
Magpul changed their design later on....
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 2:01:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Immediately put one on my first AR. Took it off a few range trips later. I don't hate it and as a hand stop it has utility, I've just found it more limiting than useful in most of the situations I would be using an AR for.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 2:02:27 PM EDT
[#42]
On everything with a quad rail.,yes.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:17:39 PM EDT
[#43]
On my clone guns, yes.

On my modern guns, no.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:53:54 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Magpul changed their design later on....
View Quote
Interesting. Never seen that before.  All mine go the other way.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:58:23 PM EDT
[#45]
On a work gun yes. On a personal gun no. I broke my wrist in a fall, and some arthritis has set in. A VFG makes it easier for me to lug around all day.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:50:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/Xz1v7UM.jpg

View Quote
I use the grip on the left, love it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:16:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Interesting. Never seen that before.  All mine go the other way.
View Quote
It looks to me like he has an M3 ranger plate on a Gen 1 20 round PMAG. When Magpul introduced the M3 PMAG series, they changed the baseplate design so that it slides on from the rear instead of the front. That meant that they had to introduce a new ranger plate too, of course. I didn’t think they were compatible, even if flipped around that way.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't view mine as a "gimmick", it's just for a specific-use rifle. On this one I was trying to minimize overall size when stowed. It's the only rifle that I've used the folding VFG.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#49]
While serving I always had a VFG. When I got out I saw a lot of pictures and videos without the VFG so I descided to go slick. After one hunting trip, I found myself gripping the magwell while walking as my wrist being vertical was the most comfortable to me.

One day I spent a summer day doing drills and had a hard time gripping the handguard due to the heat.

Most of my rifles have a VFG now.
Link Posted: 10/1/2018 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#50]
Yes.  Bravo Company MLOK VFG.   It's angled at 18*, so it's very comfortable.  I don't hold it like a VFG through; I use it as sort of a cross between an afg and a vfg, if that makes sense.
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top