Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/10/2023 5:44:09 PM EDT
I got this rifle that I built and I'll be using it exclusively for the next couple years.  If it weren't for the brace ruling, I'd probably bring a 12.5" instead but anyway...

I'm thinking about upgrading the optic from the Vortex PST Gen II 1-6x.

What would you do?  Another LPVO?  Add an RMR?  Keep it the same?  ACOG + RMR?

I kinda lean towards a LED ACOG w/ RMR or ACRO but am really open to ideas.

What say you all?

The rifle:

Upper
Ballistic Advantage AR-15 ENHANCED UPPER RECEIVER
Radian Raptor Ambidextrous AR-15 Charging Handle - FDE
VG6 Precision Epsilon Compensator - 1/2x28
Ballistic Advantage Performance Series 5.56 Hanson Mid-Length Barrel with Pinned Gas Block - 16"
Ballistic Advantage 15" AR15 ATLAS R-ONE M-LOK HANDGUARD
Geissele Super Dynamic Enhanced (SD-E) Trigger
Ballistic Advantage 5.56 COMPLETE BOLT CARRIER GROUP, NICKEL BORON
Bravo Company, BCMGUNFIGHTER, M-LOK Rail QD Sling Mount
Aero Precision Adjustable Low Profile Gas Block
Dead Air Silencers Xeno Muzzle Brake 1/2x28 - DA123
Dead Air Silencers Xeno Adapter - DA455

Lower
Aero Precision Lower Parts Kit for AR-15 (Excludes FCG, Trigger Guard, Pistol Grip)
Magpul MOE Slim Line Carbine Stock - MIL-SPEC - Flat Dark Earth
Magpul MOE Polymer Trigger Guard - Flat Dark Earth
Magpul MOE-K2+ Pistol Grip - Flat Dark Earth
Magpul Picatinny Ladder Rail Panel - Flat Dark Earth
Aero Precision Enhanced AR15 Carbine Buffer Tube Kit
Radian Talon Ambi Safety 2-Lever Kit - FDE
Ballistic Advantage AR-15 Enhanced Lower Receiver

Accessories
Blue Force Gear Vickers 2-Point Padded Combat Sling, Coyote Brown
Magpul Industries Quick Detach Sling Swivel, Model Number: MAG540
SureFire M600 Dual Fuel Scout Light WeaponLight
Surefire DS-SR07
Arisaka Defense Offset Scout Mount - M-LOK - Flat Dark Earth (FDE)
BA EDITION HANDBRAKE FROM EMISSARY DEVELOPMENT (M-LOK)
Vortex Polymer Throw Lever
Magpul MBUS Gen II Front & Rear Sight Set - FDE
Bobro Precision Optic Mount 1-Piece Quick-Detachable Extended Scope Mount
Vortex Viper PST GEN II 1-6x24 Rifle Scope - VMR-2 MOA Reticle
Rex Silentium MG7 .224

Link Posted: 2/10/2023 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#1]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#2]
What don't you like about the current setup? What is your intended use? Kind of hard to offer ideas without that info.
Edit: fwiw I have a 14.5" with a TA33 and a 16" with a 1-6. Both could be considered my "do it all" ARs, but I prefer the simplicity of the acog and the 14.5 is more handy with a can. For a general purpose AR I grab that one. All of my ARs are set up to cover the scope of my basic needs. Some more specific, some more general. For general I give the nod to the 14.5/acog combo.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:04:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Just run your 12.5"

I don't know why people are changing up things this early.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 9:47:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just run your 12.5"

I don't know why people are changing up things this early.
View Quote

Can't due to traveling
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:09:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been bouncing back and forth between a ta33 with holosun pigggy back and the TR24 green triangle. I really like them both but I'm starting to favor the ta33 combo a good bit more.
I like being able to keep both hands on the rifle while switching from close to far.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a 2-10x scope and a piggyback T2
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I’m a fully converted believer in magnified prisms with offset red dots now. I don’t however like piggy back red dots and don’t recommend them unless you run NVG’s. Aaron Cowan actually has a pretty good video on the subject.

Offset Rifle RDS- 12 O'clock vs Canted.
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:45:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ve got plenty of ARs but the two I mainly train with are these.

Razor E 1-6 and Aimpoint with 3x (which I remove half the time) covers most of the bases for my training 0-300y

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2023 10:48:39 PM EDT
[#9]
What kind of shooting do you do on a regular basis?
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’ve got plenty of ARs but the two I mainly train with are these.

Razor E 1-6 and Aimpoint with 3x (which I remove half the time) covers most of the bases for my training 0-300y

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86935/9B0582E4-BEE3-4B56-935C-930B427E1AD7_jpe-2706231.JPG
View Quote

Bonus points for the OD green
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 10:53:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The most important question.

Quoted:

This makes a lot of sense to me for what I would want a purpose-built 16" for.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 1:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I shoot a lot of close range drills as well as target shooting to 100 yards because that's all I currently have access to.  Hoping to get out shoot a lot further than that.  This will be my go to rifle for bump in the night stuff so want both close range abilities as well as long range.

Considering a Nightforce ATACR, NX8, Vortex Razor and Kahles 18 as well.

I'm slower with my current PST II vs an Aimpoint, wondering if a nicer LPVO would tighten that up.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:17:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I shoot a lot of close range drills as well as target shooting to 100 yards because that's all I currently have access to.  Hoping to get out shoot a lot further than that.  This will be my go to rifle for bump in the night stuff so want both close range abilities as well as long range.

I'm slower with my current PST II vs an Aimpoint, wondering if a nicer LPVO would tighten that up.
View Quote

I don’t really think moving to a more expensive LPVO will make a difference in your close range performance as I think the PST eyebox is more than good enough at 1X.  
One thing I’ve noticed for dudes transitioning to LPVOs is that they’re not actually target focussed during engagement since there can be scope shadow. If you focus on the dot/reticle, you will be slower vs focusing on the target and starting to break the shot as soon as it crosses into your acceptable zone.
Are you shooting any competition with your current setup?  It will help you
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#14]
By target shooting do you mean shooting for groups or simply shooting for fun or extended distance drills? If you're not into the accuracy game, a quality RDS fits your needs perfectly. Home defense, drills, 100yds and in... That is the ideal use for a RDS
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:01:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don’t really think moving to a more expensive LPVO will make a difference in your close range performance as I think the PST eyebox is more than good enough at 1X.  
One thing I’ve noticed for dudes transitioning to LPVOs is that they’re not actually target focussed during engagement since there can be scope shadow. If you focus on the dot/reticle, you will be slower vs focusing on the target and starting to break the shot as soon as it crosses into your acceptable zone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PN5X5 makes a good point. I've also wondered about setup when I read issues with being as fast with an LPVO. It takes a little tinkering and trail-and-error up front to get the optic setup just right with eye relief especially, also diopter, etc. My first LPVO uses a 1.93" mount. It is literally just like a red dot when used at 1x. I'm target-focused, I raise the gun, and instantly there's a red dot and thin reticle floating over the target I'm still focused on. When using my 1.54" high LPVO (in order to have a piggyback dot at a somewhat reasonable height), it is more difficult to be as consistent in gettting that "instantaneous" sight picture. There always is some of that optical distortion for me, but it just took reps to get used to and basically ignore it.

The general guideline by some gun-carrying professionals is 2x for every 100 yards for PID. You don't need to follow that, but if I'm packing around 16," I would want to be able to utilize all of it if needed.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Sounds like you are pretty happy with it.

TBH, my own 16" general purpose rig I run simpler.  A basic 2.5x fixed glass (PA 2.5 CQB is best bang for buck, but run what you like).   If you are open to input, I think your glass is mounted a bit low, and is going to force you to scrunch your face more than most would prefer, and potentially slow your snap shoot a touch, but maybe not.  Might just be the photo as well.  But if it is low, then It's also lower to where heat source is, and may mirage out on you faster.  Personally I'd lift it a bit. (Based on the photo, which i might be misjudging) And FWIW (and they should F'ing pay me), I found the built in height of that PA scope to be about right.  What I like to do is measure centerline of scope, and match that to A2 sight height.  That works best.  Maybe you are closer than I think?

I like a low fixed mag because it's a 16" 223.  You aren't going to be taking Elk at 700 yards.  Though it runs fine at 500+ yard gongs.  And 2.5x is low enough that you can still run CQB pretty good.  In general, people way overglass IMHO.  Fixed power means a lot of weight and complexity savings, and it's never at the wrong setting.  If this is a more dedicated hunting rig, more power may be better, I'm talking more general purpose.

As to muzzle, I've never really been enamored with suppressors.  Especially on a 16".  A lot of complexity, bulk, cost, and regulatory PITA for a device that very definately doesn't stop everything with 100 yards still hearing loud gunfire right there, and doesn't stop animals from scatering and running like Hell on the first shot anyway.  

I run electopic ears when I'm afield anyway.  I like the BCM brake, as it doesn't have a brutal blast, but still does a good job staying on target.   For BBL, Frankly i think the FAXON Gunner is unappreciated.  It's a very light profile making for a very light and handy rifle, yet the mass is in the right places, making it surprisingly accurate, and still holds zero under heat.

Just me, run what you like - looks like quite a rig.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:26:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Leave it alone and/or build a second gun.
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:29:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Trijicon Accupoint
Link Posted: 2/11/2023 4:52:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Sounds like you are pretty happy with it.

TBH, my own 16" general purpose rig I run simpler.  A basic 2.5x fixed glass (PA 2.5 CQB is best bang for buck, but run what you like).   If you are open to input, I think your glass is mounted a bit low, and is going to force you to scrunch your face more than most would prefer, and potentially slow your snap shoot a touch, but maybe not.  Might just be the photo as well.  But if it is low, then It's also lower to where heat source is, and may mirage out on you faster.  Personally I'd lift it a bit. (Based on the photo, which i might be misjudging) And FWIW (and they should F'ing pay me), I found the built in height of that PA scope to be about right.  What I like to do is measure centerline of scope, and match that to A2 sight height.  That works best.  Maybe you are closer than I think?

I like a low fixed mag because it's a 16" 223.  You aren't going to be taking Elk at 700 yards.  Though it runs fine at 500+ yard gongs.  And 2.5x is low enough that you can still run CQB pretty good.  In general, people way overglass IMHO.  Fixed power means a lot of weight and complexity savings, and it's never at the wrong setting.  If this is a more dedicated hunting rig, more power may be better, I'm talking more general purpose.

As to muzzle, I've never really been enamored with suppressors.  Especially on a 16".  A lot of complexity, bulk, cost, and regulatory PITA for a device that very definately doesn't stop everything with 100 yards still hearing loud gunfire right there, and doesn't stop animals from scatering and running like Hell on the first shot anyway.  

I run electopic ears when I'm afield anyway.  I like the BCM brake, as it doesn't have a brutal blast, but still does a good job staying on target.   For BBL, Frankly i think the FAXON Gunner is unappreciated.  It's a very light profile making for a very light and handy rifle, yet the mass is in the right places, making it surprisingly accurate, and still holds zero under heat.

Just me, run what you like - looks like quite a rig.
View Quote

I'm always open to input, good stuff, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 10:26:00 AM EDT
[#20]
My only 16” I just built will be getting a NXS 2.5x10. If needed for additional short range duty I will throw a off set with a RMR. I have 1x8’s, and ACOGs on my 11.5’s and 14.5’s. I am thinking of getting a M5S for the 11.5 to play around with.
ETA I do have a EXPS3-0 on a 11.5 now and while I have a magnifier I never use due to weight. I’m wanting all my rifles as light and universal as possible. I do think the 2.5x10 NXS may just be the answer I’m looking for.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 11:09:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Trijicon Accupoint
View Quote

I agree - the TR24R does everything I need in the 0-300 yard range and doesn't weight a ton like most LPVO these days. Here it is on my Colt 6960 and is my idea of a great all around/general purpose non-SBR AR...

Link Posted: 2/14/2023 2:43:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Lighter weight LPVO w/piggybacked dot.  My preference would be an NX8 with the FC-DMx reticle.  RMR, ACRO, or AP Micro work well piggybacked.  

If you won’t spend a ton of time shooting beyond 200-300y, ACOG would work well and save you quite a bit of weight while still providing some magnification to assist with target ID.  If you have NODs and want to shoot passively, I’d explore a TA02 as the forward mounted piggybacked dot setup works much better in that capacity.  No NODs and any ACOG would work well, depending on your preferences.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I agree - the TR24R does everything I need in the 0-300 yard range and doesn't weight a ton like most LPVO these days. Here it is on my Colt 6960 and is my idea of a great all around/general purpose non-SBR AR...

https://i.imgur.com/rLYdHcD.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Trijicon Accupoint

That is the beauty of the NXS 2.5x10, it’s lighter then allot of popular LPVO’s out there.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:30:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

What reticle?
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:54:51 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

What reticle?
View Quote
TR24R
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:58:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
TR24G

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 12:01:21 PM EDT
[#27]
TR24G on 14.5
Attachment Attached File

Razor 1-6 on a16”
Attachment Attached File
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top