BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2021 2:01:34 PM EDT
Attachment Attached File

Should I should or should I shan't?

Retro Looks, Modern Function - The Right Optic for Your Retro Rifle!
We actually tracked down the original company that manufactured the Colt® AR-15 optics of the 1970s and asked them to build a new one for us as close to the original as possible - right down the yellow inspection stickers. Like the Retro Rifles themselves, the Brownells Retro 4x Optic has updated technology under the hood. The result is a scope that looks just like the original but has optical clarity and performance that are head and shoulders above it.

Fully Multicoated lenses are fog and waterproof
BDC click-adjustable elevation turret
Manufactured in Japan with high quality internals and lenses
The Retro 4x Carry Handle Optic sports a simple, intuitive fine duplex reticle, like the original, and an elevation turret with BDC (ballistic drop compensated) clicks that closely match modern .223/5.56 55gr and 62gr ammo. As its name indicates, the Retro 4x comes with an integral carry handle mount that easily attaches to most  AR-15 carry handles - no tools required.

As with all products we sell, this scope is fully backed by our Forever Guarantee.
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I want one just to have it. Don't even have a carry handle.

Good excuse to build a 20" carry handle upper

I say do it. I wish they had a rail mount option. Need more affordable fixed power optics out there.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 4:20:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd vote yes.

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 5:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

I’m hardcore coveting thy neighbor right now
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:55:04 PM EDT
[#4]
The old carry handle scopes are definitely under-rated. I have an Eyal 3x scope on my 603 clone, and I found it remarkably intuitive to use. My only warning is that they do add some weight to what is otherwise a shockingly light-weight rifle.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 4:05:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been eyeing them lately see them in ads and pop up in the EE occasionally. I'd have to build a carry handle rifle around it though because I think carry handle mounted optics on a detachable carrying handle are retarded.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 10:42:33 PM EDT
[#6]
From my experience having owned one of the original colt branded hakko optics; be sure to check the eye relief if you are running an A2 length stock.
I needed to have the neck of a giraffe to get a proper sight picture with mine. And eventually upgraded to a TA01.
I think they were originally designed for A1 or telescopic but-stocks.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 5:40:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
From my experience having owned one of the original colt branded hakko optics; be sure to check the eye relief if you are running an A2 length stock.
I needed to have the neck of a giraffe to get a proper sight picture with mine. And eventually upgraded to a TA01.
View Quote

I can believe the bolded bit. Mine's on a (compliant ) rifle with an original Type D A1 stock, i.e. no trapdoor, and I can pretty comfortably get to the NTCH cheek weld on there. Which is good, because I basically have to get nearly NTCH for a proper eye relief from the Retro 4x scope. I bet that even though I'm about 6' tall, it'd be just a little less doable with the A2 length.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw that scope, went to Brownells to see the price and details.

I have an Armalite A1? which has a bi-level picc rail for both the carry handle and above the handguard.

So I could find it a logical home but I really don't care for duplex reticles. Or want a fixed low power scope.  I might as well get a prism for that duty.
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I can believe the bolded bit. Mine's on a (compliant ) rifle with an original Type D A1 stock, i.e. no trapdoor, and I can pretty comfortably get to the NTCH cheek weld on there. Which is good, because I basically have to get nearly NTCH for a proper eye relief from the Retro 4x scope. I bet that even though I'm about 6' tall, it'd be just a little less doable with the A2 length.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, thanks.  This will be a "no" from me, Dawg.  NTCH is very uncomfortable.  I just can't shoot  like that. Short eye relief has killed many an optic in my life.
Link Posted: 5/22/2021 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#10]
If you're gonna use an A2 stock, embrace the blade.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:36:40 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one but sent it back because the reticle/cross hairs were canted.

Also, I thought the eye relief was way too long. My head was much further back on the stock than I was used to.
I probably would have lived with the eye relief issue had the cross hairs been ok.

Have been thinking about trying another one.

Can someone measure the eye relief on a current one please?
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 9:56:19 PM EDT
[#12]
If i buy one, I'm gonna have to build an 11.5 with moderator.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 10:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Can someone measure the eye relief on a current one please?
View Quote

Specs on their website say 3.11"

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/scopes/rifle-scopes/retro-4x-carry-handle-scope-prod124965.aspx
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 8:17:16 AM EDT
[#14]
To me it seemed like over 4"
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 8:20:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Not just yes but....Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:54:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Unless you are committed to the retro look I think a RDS is a better option. Lots of companies make rails for mounting them, even gooseneck style rails work if you want to co-witness.

I have an original Colt 3X scope mounted on my 1981 Colt SP1 for nostalgia's sake. As far as scopes are concerned it's a joke compared to what's available today.

The reason the US Armed Forces went to flat tops is to get a proper mounting system at a useable height for various optics. The A1 carry handle mount simply places the scope too high off the stock for a good cheek weld.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 10:56:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I put one on my A1(ish) build. Took the scope to a local gun shop before I mounted it and found scope caps to fit it. Once I mounted it, I played around with it for a while. When I went to put it away, I went to close the caps.

Pushing on the rear cap, the scope slid forward. Pushing on the front cap, it slid backward. OK, that can't be good. Took it back off. Looking at the mounting lever assembly, I figured out the top of the threaded tube was bottoming out on the bottom of the mount before it could pull be pulled down tight enough.

The lever assembly is held together by an E clip set into a groove on the threaded tube. I pushed that off and disassembled it. Used a file to shorten the threaded tube, checking how it was affecting fit frequently (the E clip is only used to hold the assembly together for convenience, I did not put it back on while checking fit).

Originally, the lever bottomed out with the lever in the forward position. I ended up taking off enough to let the lever make an additional 1.5 turns and lock in the rear position before It was tight enough that the scope wouldn't slide when applying pressure to the front or rear.

When I was finished, there was barely enough material left on the top of the threaded tube to retain the E clip. Had I removed more, I would have had to leave the E clip off (as stated above, its only function is to keep the mounting lever assembly together for convenience). I might have been able to cut another groove for it slightly lower on the tube.

You may or may not have this issue, just depending on the dimensions of your carry handle, which may depend on who made the forging, who machined the forging, etc.(mine is anAnchor Harvey marked C7 from Fulton Armory) but its a pretty easy fix if you do.
Pic is prior to modification.
Attachment Attached File

After.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 11:01:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Unless you are committed to the retro look I think a RDS is a better option. Lots of companies make rails for mounting them, even gooseneck style rails work if you want to co-witness.

I have an original Colt 3X scope mounted on my 1981 Colt SP1 for nostalgia's sake. As far as scopes are concerned it's a joke compared to what's available today.

The reason the US Armed Forces went to flat tops is to get a proper mounting system at a useable height for various optics. The A1 carry handle mount simply places the scope too high off the stock for a good cheek weld.
View Quote

I think that's pretty much the point of "Retro" builds.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top