Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/6/2021 1:01:30 PM EDT
Hey all…  I’m new to the AR-15 world and have a question about disassembly. I was taking the rifle apart and didn’t lower the bolt before taking the upper and lower apart. As soon as I started to separate the two, the bolt slammed closed in the upper. I’m just wondering if this can damage anything? I appreciate any advice! Thanks
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 1:09:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's fine, no damage.
View Quote

This. It happens every time you pull the trigger.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 1:44:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I figured it might be a dumb question since the bolt is meant to slam closed during normal operation. Just wasn’t sure if it was different with the upper and lower being separated when the bolt moved into the closed position. Live and learn, thx!
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 1:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
It is different. If you move the upper slightly forward the buffer retainer may have to stop the forward travel of the buffer instead of the carrier that normally stops the buffer slightly off the pin. Could result in a broken buffer retaining pin and or dent in the edge of the buffer where it hit the pin. It is not a good thing to do and is not part of the normal firing cycle where the buffer is stopped short of hitting the retaining pin.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 2:13:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I can see the buffer retaining pin is fine, visually checked and it’s holding the buffer tube normally. Where would I check for the dent, on the buffer tube itself?
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#6]
The buffer tube/receiver extension is the fixed  part that holds the stock and would not be affected at all.
If the buffer hit the retaining pin hard enough there would just be a little dent on the front very outside edge of the buffer itself where it contacted the retaining pin.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#7]
So I checked again, the retainer pin is solid. All I can see on the buffer is a tiny dent on the edge which I assume doesn’t matter? Anything else to inspect? Thx again
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 3:14:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Nothing much to check really I know of past the buffer retaining pin being okay. I would not worry about a little dent on the edge of the buffer.
Link Posted: 6/6/2021 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks, appreciate the insight
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top