Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2021 1:24:28 AM EDT
I've spent hours searching the internet and still haven't found the answers I seek.

10.5" .300 BLK shooting mostly supersonic but not necessarily max loads.
I do not want a muzzle brake.
I don't care if it looks cool.
I don't need any kind of quick detachment.
A suppressor is not an option.
i will never shoot it without ear protection unless it's a matter of life and death.

I want to send the blast down range with the smallest possible flash. That's it.

The only pieces I've found that claim to do what I want are from Black River Tactical and STD but many of the reports and ads I see for other units seem to focus on looking cool or a low price without mention of flash suppression. It seems like some of the larger cans might be more effective but I have no experience with any of them, all I've ever used is an A2 flash hider.
I'd appreciate any reccomendations.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 1:55:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Possibly Noveske flaming pig
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:07:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I use the STD and have no complaints
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 2:10:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Flash suppression = Smith Enterprises Vortec
Link

Building back pressure for increased reliability with moderate loads to assure gas function cycles = spikes tactical Barking Spider Link
Check these on YouTube
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 10:01:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I had one of those and it pretty well did its job.  It directed all or at least the majority of the sound, flash and concussion directly forward of the shooter.
I happily switched it to a SureFire MB and a SF Can...

Link Posted: 9/23/2021 5:30:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I use guntec's mini flash can for my 300 set up. Works really well with flash and diverting the blast forward.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:25:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Huge flame with these
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've spent hours searching the internet and still haven't found the answers I seek.

10.5" .300 BLK shooting mostly supersonic but not necessarily max loads.
I do not want a muzzle brake.
I don't care if it looks cool.
I don't need any kind of quick detachment.
A suppressor is not an option.
i will never shoot it without ear protection unless it's a matter of life and death.

I want to send the blast down range with the smallest possible flash. That's it.

The only pieces I've found that claim to do what I want are from Black River Tactical and STD but many of the reports and ads I see for other units seem to focus on looking cool or a low price without mention of flash suppression. It seems like some of the larger cans might be more effective but I have no experience with any of them, all I've ever used is an A2 flash hider.
I'd appreciate any reccomendations.
View Quote

Pick one attribute and concentrate on that.
Is flash suppression the key point?
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 7:31:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 8:54:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Based on OP criteria, not possible.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 10:37:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Pick one attribute and concentrate on that.
Is flash suppression the key point?
View Quote

Deflection is the primary concern. I don't want to increase the flash any more than necessary.
My  reason for for wanting a deflector is that I will use a long target scope for IHMSA competition and I don't want debris contacting my scope lens.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:02:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#12]
KAW Valley Precision
I have a few and love them for that purpose.
Still have flash but nothing like a KX3 or similar krink-style device.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Kak micro flash can is cheap, short and deflects blast down range away from you and your scope.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 12:46:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
KAW Valley Precision
I have a few and love them for that purpose.
Still have flash but nothing like a KX3 or similar krink-style device.
View Quote

Thanks, that's one i'm considering, the problem is that they offer several diffferent models and don't distinguish the performance or applications for each. I may call them and see if they can give a recommendation.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:00:52 PM EDT
[#15]
You have many blast shield options that mount over flash hiders

Indian Creek BFD Blast Forwarding Device

FORTIS CONTROL

Strike Industries Oppressor Blast Shield

GEMTECH BLAST JACKET

ODIN Atlas Blast Shield

Ferfrans CQB Modular Muzzle Brake System

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:09:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I like the Spikes barking spider

but the PWS CQB Compensator is also interesting

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks, that's one i'm considering, the problem is that they offer several diffferent models and don't distinguish the performance or applications for each. I may call them and see if they can give a recommendation.
View Quote

I would go with the standard .30cal version. I have one on a 11.5" 6.8 for hunting and it definitely takes the edge off without making a massive fireball.
Also relatively light.
Flash will also be dependant on your powder selection.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw-Valley-Precision-30cal-Linear-Comp-5-8x24-Blac-p/kvp-linear308-blk.htm
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I would go with the standard .30cal version. I have one on a 11.5" 6.8 for hunting and it definitely takes the edge off without making a massive fireball.
Also relatively light.

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw-Valley-Precision-30cal-Linear-Comp-5-8x24-Blac-p/kvp-linear308-blk.htm
View Quote

Thanks for the link. H110 is where I plan to start load development.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:42:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
You have many blast shield options that mount over flash hiders

Indian Creek BFD Blast Forwarding Device

FORTIS CONTROL

Strike Industries Oppressor Blast Shield

GEMTECH BLAST JACKET

ODIN Atlas Blast Shield

Ferfrans CQB Modular Muzzle Brake System

https://2z6t7r2ied3bfeh1j3f34077-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/products-fer-300x259.jpg

View Quote

Very good info, thanks, I just got off the phone with Indian Creek, they're very helpfull and eager to talk about their product, I like that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks for the link. H110 is where I plan to start load development.
View Quote

H110 is a very flashy powder, so there's that....
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 1:56:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

H110 is a very flashy powder, so there's that....
View Quote

Any other suggestions? Of course I'm limited by availibility these days.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Any other suggestions? Of course I'm limited by availibility these days.
View Quote

Unless you are shooting indoors or at dusk you'll be just fine with H110.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Also relatively light.

View Quote

I'm assuming it's made of steel but they don't specify on their website, can you confirm that?

Edit, I think I figured it out. Their Magnum models specify that they are steel, and they are heavier, so by default that tells me that the standard model is aluminum.
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I'm assuming it's made of steel but they don't specify on their website, can you confirm that?

Edit, I think I figured it out. Their Magnum models specify that they are steel, and they are heavier, so by default that tells me that the standard model is aluminum.
View Quote

All of the rifle comps are steel. Finish is specified as QPQ (nitride). You can't really QPQ aluminum, as the process temp is well over it's melting point...
A perforated aluminum baffle wouldn't last very long on a rifle caliber either
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:21:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Kak micro flash can is cheap, short and deflects blast down range away from you and your scope.
https://gun.deals/sites/default/files/KAK-CAN-1228-MICRO_0055.jpg
View Quote

I have one on my 4.75 inch KAK 300 Blackout upper and it works great!
Link Posted: 9/24/2021 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#26]
I have 4 KAK micro flash cans.  Those things are SUPER light.  I like them a lot.

I also have a comp/brake combo with external threads that accepts a flash can.   I have not tried it yet because the flash can itself is steel...so that puppy is heavy.  I've been meaning to get an aluminum flash can for it, but have not done it yet.

Similar to this....I need to swap out that steel can.  Too heavy.

Link Posted: 9/24/2021 9:06:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Thanks for all the help. I ordered from Black River Tactical and STD today, I think I'll try a Kaw Valley unit too, this will get me started for now.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 12:16:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I have the black river covert comp on a 10.5 556 gun.

it helps with the side blast, but it is still loud under a roofed target range
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 7:51:57 AM EDT
[#29]

This is also an interesting item

https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/category-s/152.htm

The KVP MACH Modular Linear Comp is a Patent Pending linear compensator system that is completely user configurable! If you've struggled to find a comp the correct length for the perfect "tuck," configure your own! By utilizing 1-1/8"x28 TPI internal threads, the MACH Modular Linear Comp can utilize common suppressor attachments, such as a SilencerCo 3-Lug Mount, SilencerCo Direct thread mounts, etc. KVP has opened up a level of modularity that has never before been offered in the Linear Comp market. The Mach Comps allow end users to run any length comp they want, including extra long configurations acting as a placeholder for a suppressor awaiting a Form 4 approval. Each component is machined from 6061-T651 Aluminum and hard coat anodized for wear protection. The MACH system utilizes a 1-1/4" hexagonal wrench flat configuration for easy installation with a standard open end or adjustable wrench.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 9:44:33 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

The .30 KVP linear comp is steel
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Add to the list Griffin Armament. I just picked up one of their flash hiders and an add-on blast shield. All steel parts.

Can also swap out the blast shield for a suppressor if that option ever opens up.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top