Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2024 1:13:06 AM EDT
Thinking about a .22LR upper for my AR.

I know I could just get a conversion, but would rather have a dedicated upper instead of simply converting my existing upper.

So, just some questions.

What twist rates should the barrel have for either 16" or 18" in length, which gas system, what magazines are worth while, which manufacture is a good go to?
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:17:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: swOHmatt] [#1]
1:16” has been the standard for 22LR since Moses parted the waters.

No gas system.  Standard 22 rimfire blowback.

Blackdog magazines.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:44:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a 9” RTB upper, Blackdog and CMMG mags.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:46:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one built by Keystone Accuracy. Shoots incredibly well at 50 yards with match grade ammunition.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:23:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GrimEReaper] [#4]
My 2 ar22's. RTB barrel and bolt. Black Dog Mags and Mcfadden speedloader. The speed loader can load a 25 rd mag in about 10 seconds. I love both these uppers.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#5]
The CMMG (Ciener) style bolt is pretty much the standard these days.  Right to bear, borebuddy, and other sites have them available.  The conversion bolt with a dedicated barrel and 22LR specific magazines are all that you need to put one together.  Everything else is "AR" compatible.  The standard twist rate is 1:16 but borebuddy.com has some 1:12 twist barrels that shoot very well.

If you have other parts; i.e. lowers, handguards, upper receivers, charging handles, then find a barrel/bolt combo at RTB or Borebuddy and put yours together.  I don't think CMMG sells just the parts anymore.  Black Dog magazines are the easiest and work about as good as any.

Lot's of information available on this site and over at rimfirecentral.com.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:19:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#6]
Right to Bear has the parts in stock to assemble an upper but currently only have a 9” barrel upper in stock.   If you want to shoot paper target for small groups and you’re going to assemble an upper I suggest you look at Beyer’s barrels.   Beyer Barrels get very good reviews.   Palmetto State Armory was selling CMMG pattern bolts recently for $99.   PSA sell 22 LR CMMG pattern uppers but haven’t had any in stock for several months.

PSA 22 LR bolt still in stock for $99

https://palmettostatearmory.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=psa+ar-15+22+lr+

https://www.righttobear.com/22lr-parts-upgrades-accessories/?page=1

http://beyerbarrels.com/barrels/ar15_barrels

Here is a picture of my dedicated 22 LR AR-15, Right to Bear upper with CMMG SS bolt.   I’m using a LaRue MTB 2S trigger and BDM mags.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Wandering_minstrel:
Thinking about a .22LR upper for my AR.

I know I could just get a conversion, but would rather have a dedicated upper instead of simply converting my existing upper.

So, just some questions.

What twist rates should the barrel have for either 16" or 18" in length, which gas system, what magazines are worth while, which manufacture is a good go to?
View Quote

Do you want an "accurate" gun or just a steel plate range tool?  If accuracy is a priority, I suggest something other than a barrel/bolt "kit" although sometimes you may get lucky.  Mine is about a 2 MOA gun with quality ammo, double that with bulk.  Beyer and Keystone are a couple that are known for accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:58:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Do you want an "accurate" gun or just a steel plate range tool?  If accuracy is a priority, I suggest something other than a barrel/bolt "kit" although sometimes you may get lucky.  Mine is about a 2 MOA gun with quality ammo, double that with bulk.  Beyer and Keystone are a couple that are known for accuracy.
View Quote

Something that can ring steel plates (4" to 12") at 50 yards max.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:10:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
I use a 9" RTB upper, Blackdog and CMMG mags.
View Quote
This is me along with a Sparrow Ti. Love this setup; really don't want to shoot anything else. It's more than accurate enough for a plinker. Beyer sales barrels if you're looking for more accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:48:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By GrimEReaper:
My 2 ar22's. RTB barrel and bolt. Black Dog Mags and Mcfadden speedloader. The speed loader can load a 25 rd mag in about 10 seconds. I love both these uppers.

https://u.cubeupload.com/Jpatnorman77/b9fPhotoGrid16768270488.jpg

View Quote

That M16 A1 is awesome.  I will absolutely copy that.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:50:23 PM EDT
[#11]
The Tac Sol Kestrel upper is the master race of 22LR uppers.  Unfortunately, they no longer make them.  Some pop up on Gunbroker every now and then.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 8:20:35 AM EDT
[#12]
PSA or RTB
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:00:19 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AugustineBolishbatfe:
The Tac Sol Kestrel upper is the master race of 22LR uppers.  Unfortunately, they no longer make them.  Some pop up on Gunbroker every now and then.
View Quote

this is why (despite tacsol, mp15-22, JP, tippmann, etc being good platforms) one should stick with the cmmg/ciener/atchisson design, it is becoming the "standard" 22lr ar platform and many companies make it and spare parts, plus it uses the most milspec-AR-parts.

I use the readimag bettermag + mp15-22 mags though, been going strong for me for 10s of thousands of rounds plus though i have won a few mags out (feed lips wear/spread out over long time/heavy use.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 12:57:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By 10mmillie:
I use a 9” RTB upper, Blackdog and CMMG mags.
View Quote

16" same same
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:16:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chumpmiester] [#15]
I have been very pleased with my 16" CMMG heavy 22lr barrel. It does very well from a rest at 50 yards with CCI Standard ammo. Here is a 5 shot group after sighting in my Arken SH-4 6-24 scope.

Attachment Attached File

I also have a Bore Buddy 21" 1-12 twist barrel but it does not shoot as well as the 16" CMMG barrel no matter what ammo I have tried. I get a flyer with every 5 shot group out of the BB barrel.

Here is the best 5 shot group I could get out of the BB barrel. This was shot on the same day as the above group with my CMMG barrel.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:26:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By swOHmatt:
1:16” has been the standard for 22LR since Moses parted the waters.

No gas system.  Standard 22 rimfire blowback.

Blackdog magazines.
View Quote

What he said.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 6:38:49 PM EDT
[#17]
RTB had a great deal on a compete 16" upper a week or two ago.
$299.  

I helped a friend put together a nice setup.
I used that same RTB complete upper on a aero m4e1 lower.
Magpul CTR stock.
Larue MBT2 trigger
K2 grip
Sig Romeo 5.

I have a RTB 8" barrel, cmmg bolt, PSA 7" handguard.
Use it on a couple SBR lowers.
Currently on a side folding lower with a Sig MCX adjustable stock.
Fun.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top