Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2020 8:32:55 PM EDT
I know but I'm laid up in bed very sick at the moment after taking a domestic call at a roach infested house that I could smell the sewage and mold at. Anyway pics will come later. I have for a while now been slowly helping my fellow officers get patrol rifles. I was told our city council would not buy them for us many times now. So I spend my own money to help officers who cant buy them. So for that PSA has been my go to. I had been helping them order and in some cases for those who cant afford even PSA selling them my PSA rifles at less than 1/2 of what I pay for them and decking them out. So far I did this for two guys. Just sold my 10.5 PSA pistol I had 800 or so in for 300 and gave a 20" nitride rifle away to a former Army cav guy to help him out for a penny. So storage space in my cabinet had an empty spot and looking at my spare RAS and Blue force slings I decided to assemble myself another M16A4 clone with Irons only.

Decided to go PSA with a CHF upper as I am on a CHF binge at the moment. Thats when it started. Disclaimer keep in mind I have only had minor issues with thousands of dollars of PSA stuff over many years and had even used one of their uppers on an all PSA setup that saved my bacon on duty.

Got a premium CHF 20" upper kit with bolt and charging handle, then got a A2 LPK kit and a stealth reciever. Already had the carry handle from PSA and wanted this to be an all PSA rifle with the exception of the M5 RAS. Anyway it came in and the issues started. The upper logo I can live with I was gonna darken it but the A2 flash hider and all parts of the barrel nut and delta ring assembly where nirtide and the dust cover looked like it was literally made of sprinkles. On a M16A4 inspired build wanting to stay close as I coul those had to go so I am out more money waiting on new parts to replace them and the rifle will no longer be all PSA as intended. But I could live with that as they didnt cost too much.
Then to replace these I had too of course remove the barrel. Mistake. The rear FSB pin went out ok and I was using the proper cupped punch and block for this. The other pin however instantly mushroomed into a pile of what looked like solder on one hit. It must have been chinese steel or something, it most certainly was not up to standard. Needless to say several hours, a hand injury, grinding, drilling, and refinishing the grinds later it came out and now I had to order new pins. Out more money.
Moved on to the bolt and realized it is either the smoothest parkerizing ever or it is something else. Its not nitirde and I have no clue what finish it is. Its no where close to the finish of the other preminum BCGs I have from them or any of my toolcrafts and the charging handle had a finish that was super shiny and definately not correct either. So again out more money for replacements, but I will not replace the bolt as that would be too expensive after the lower issue.
The LPK had to have the magazine release button replaced as again it appears to be a shiny nitride and the takedown pins as well. Nothing matches. Then the lower for it came in.
I had took the stealth lower off my M16A2 to use on the rifle I got my Cav friend as it was so slow to ship and I wanted him to have it since last year as he is getting up in age and health issues. Plus I used it as an excuse to order a PSA M16A2 lower for it which arrived with my stealth lower for this build and was perfect and the tightest fitting upper and lower I ever had. Since I got the two lowers together my FFL put them on the same form and I had to go in a hurry due to getting heckled and harassed at the shop by a man when he realized I was a cop and I didnt want to make a scene. So I assumed the stealth lower was as good as the A2. Wrong. It appears to be a shiny finish that is no where close to any upper or lower I have ever gotten from PSA. It has flakes of white stuck in a few spots on the finish and a huge scrath in the lower prior to finishing and splotchey uneven finish. I have had 8 or so stealth and regular PSA lowers and this is horrible. Too bad its too late to return it and aluminum black will not fix the spots it literally looks like the whole lower was nitrided or painted gloss. So I ordered another Aero lower and out more money.

At this point I am now converted to the PSA is hit and miss crap crowd. If it wasnt for the one I used on duty to save my bacon I would be firmly in the dont buy crowd but that gun ran flawless and had I not threw it in my car that day rather than loose a 3-4k rifle in a OIS if something happened then I would probably not have a face right now. I had no backup and went to a call with multiple dogs attacking multiple people and guess what they turned on me and nearly got me, I wouldnt have been able to make those rapid shots all hit where I needed with a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#1]
So instead of emailing PSA about the problems you spotted you decided to tear it apart, mess up more stuff, and then come here to half rag-half praise on PSA?

PSA would have fixed any issues you found, did you bother trying to contact them?  I'm guessing not
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:51:11 PM EDT
[#2]
One of those hopefully rare times when life seems to go to hell. Had one or two myself. Hope you get to feeling better.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:08:50 AM EDT
[#3]
You're an LEO. Dude. Forget PSA. Get yourself a Geissele Super Duty rifle and call it a day. I think for LEO's it is $750.00 which is an incredible deal for what you get.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:18:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Who cares if the parts match, it’s a PSA rifle for heavens sake.

Just build it and shoot it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 5:34:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're an LEO. Dude. Forget PSA. Get yourself a Geissele Super Duty rifle and call it a day. I think for LEO's it is $750.00 which is an incredible deal for what you get.
View Quote
Came to post this
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 8:10:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Other than the issue with the one pin, it sounds like most of your grief is over the different shades of black on different parts not matching each other. Like someone else said; build it then shoot it. Nothing matches on my factory Colt rifle and the finish generally looks like shit too.

ETA- If it makes you feel any better, I once tried to replace the barrel on my MAC10 (I wanted a different muzzle thread pattern). In the process, I managed to twist the upper tube by over-torquing the barrel. Luckily it is not the Registered receiver but still cost me a couple hundred $$$ to climb my way out of that shit pile.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:37:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So instead of emailing PSA about the problems you spotted you decided to tear it apart, mess up more stuff, and then come here to half rag-half praise on PSA?

PSA would have fixed any issues you found, did you bother trying to contact them?  I'm guessing not
View Quote
Not sure why your so hostile but yes I did try to conact them several times and recieved no replies. Even submitted reviews on their site for the items (they often reply there too) to try to contact them but they have not replied and none of my reviews have posted. As far as tear it apart and mess up more stuff that should not have cause nor did it cause an issue other than the fact that the one pin that appears to be a sub par metal hence why it mushroomed.
I'm half rag-half praising them cause honestly in my sample size of about 8 they have mostly been good except this one and a minor issue with a Nickel boron BCG flaking, and a misaligned gas block on a 300 blackout which I did not contact them about as I just had to realign it which is simple enough.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:43:31 AM EDT
[#8]
My first and last PSA upper, they drilled one of the FSB pins crooked. Instead of tossing it, they cut a chunk of the bottom of the barrel out, then hit it a bunch of times with a cutting wheel until they could get the pin in. It reminded me of the T1000 after getting plugged with the 40mm.

Pretty sure I bent the barrel getting that pin out, but it shot the same level of shit before and after.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:45:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Thats great for a duty weapon but this is to be a clone build. Geissele doesnt do those. And I hate to say it but where I live the pay scale is so low for a LEO that the other officers cant afford even that. We are the 48th out of 50 worst paid LEO states. They have to get them piece mill when they can spare a buck here and there. Most of the LEOs in my department are age 45+ and are raising their grand kids too so money is tight and they cant afford a lump sum like that when some of them barely clear $900 every two weeks with several hours of overtime, the pizza drivers here make almost more than a LEO.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 11:46:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Other than the issue with the one pin, it sounds like most of your grief is over the different shades of black on different parts not matching each other. Like someone else said; build it then shoot it. Nothing matches on my factory Colt rifle and the finish generally looks like shit too.

ETA- If it makes you feel any better, I once tried to replace the barrel on my MAC10 (I wanted a different muzzle thread pattern). In the process, I managed to twist the upper tube by over-torquing the barrel. Luckily it is not the Registered receiver but still cost me a couple hundred $$$ to climb my way out of that shit pile.
View Quote
Ouch. That had to suck.
As for the shades issue I found it strange since a 20" nitride upper I got from them was the exact opposite. It had all phosphate delta ring, A2, and BCG etc and only the barrel was nitride.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:00:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My first and last PSA upper, they drilled one of the FSB pins crooked. Instead of tossing it, they cut a chunk of the bottom of the barrel out, then hit it a bunch of times with a cutting wheel until they could get the pin in. It reminded me of the T1000 after getting plugged with the 40mm.

Pretty sure I bent the barrel getting that pin out, but it shot the same level of shit before and after.
View Quote
Dang that sounds horrible. I though my pin was bad. Sorry to hear it shoots bad too.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Thats great for a duty weapon but this is to be a clone build. Geissele doesnt do those. And I hate to say it but where I live the pay scale is so low for a LEO that the other officers cant afford even that. We are the 48th out of 50 worst paid LEO states. They have to get them piece mill when they can spare a buck here and there. Most of the LEOs in my department are age 45+ and are raising their grand kids too so money is tight and they cant afford a lump sum like that when some of them barely clear $900 every two weeks with several hours of overtime, the pizza drivers here make almost more than a LEO.
View Quote
Ya this is arfcom in 2020, if you came here looking for sympathy for LEO's, that ship sailed a long loooooooononnnng time ago lol.

Not saying I hate cops, but the sob stories don't mean shit here.  Want better equipment? Get a better goddam job
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Ya this is arfcom in 2020, if you came here looking for sympathy for LEO's, that ship sailed a long loooooooononnnng time ago lol.

Not saying I hate cops, but the sob stories don't mean shit here.  Want better equipment? Get a better goddam job
View Quote
Didnt come here for a sob story. Just explaining why that option that was presented was not viable. Not trying to start some kind of fight either but everyone on here lately is acting like this is TOS. Yes I am planning to get a better job I am leaving mine this year, not worth it anymore.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:35:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Didnt come here for a sob story. Just explaining why that option that was presented was not viable. Not trying to start some kind of fight either but everyone on here lately is acting like this is TOS. Yes I am planning to get a better job I am leaving mine this year, not worth it anymore.
View Quote
lotta minorities in GA which means leftist politicians.  I don't blame you
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:45:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

lotta minorities in GA which means leftist politicians.  I don't blame you
View Quote
Yeah its sad with the dang politics. I love the job and love helping others but the stresses on my family and me are literally making me sick so its no longer an option. Maybe one day the world will wake up and I can go back to doing what I love but I gotta put me first for once.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:49:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Yeah its sad with the dang politics. I love the job and love helping others but the stresses on my family and me are literally making me sick so its no longer an option. Maybe one day the world will wake up and I can go back to doing what I love but I gotta put me first for once.
View Quote
Stay safe and do whats best for your family.  Putting your own first is NOT a bad thing no matter what suicidally altruistic jackasses like to say.

It's cool you care about your coworkers, I'm sure you'll land on your feet and do well regardless of where you end up.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#17]
I don't give PSA my money anymore.

Too much junk sent out and you have to come crying to a public forum because they ignore direct contact.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Not sure why your so hostile but yes I did try to conact them several times and recieved no replies. Even submitted reviews on their site for the items (they often reply there too) to try to contact them but they have not replied and none of my reviews have posted. As far as tear it apart and mess up more stuff that should not have cause nor did it cause an issue other than the fact that the one pin that appears to be a sub par metal hence why it mushroomed.
I'm half rag-half praising them cause honestly in my sample size of about 8 they have mostly been good except this one and a minor issue with a Nickel boron BCG flaking, and a misaligned gas block on a 300 blackout which I did not contact them about as I just had to realign it which is simple enough.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try posting in their industry forum, Josiah has been exceptionally helpful to everyone I’ve seen with problems. I’ve had one issue and yes I had to wait on the phone for 10min but it was resolved right away
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 11:12:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Too much junk sent out and you have to come crying to a public forum because they ignore direct contact.
View Quote
It's been my observation that if contacted through industry forum, shit gets handled.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's been my observation that if contacted through industry forum, shit gets handled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They also delete negative threads.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 12:05:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They also delete negative threads.
View Quote
Don't use the word goop. Its a thread killer I found out.
Link Posted: 1/19/2020 6:38:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Dang that sounds horrible. I though my pin was bad. Sorry to hear it shoots bad too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hahahah! I needed that shit after the wife bitching at me ALL FUCKING WEEKEND!

PSA, it's a love have situation. It's 60/40 even with their "Premium-Line" whether you are going to get something worth a cunt-fuck... I don't need to even bring up the "Premium" barrel and the 8(degree)-Plus, canted FSB and all those details and that that, shitstorm on here in their "Industry-Forum" entailed. And it was properly deleted here per PSA's request like the cunts they are!

If you want something that is more than a decent "go-to", then go-with Spikes, at a MINIMUM! If you can't afford that... then save-up or sell something until you can. When I was a poor as fuck college kid as an undergraduate at The University of Georgia from 01'-04'; working (3)... 2 (part-time jobs), 2 of them shitty as fuck... and taking 13 hours of credits I wanted an Norinco MAK. Guess what, I got one... Instead of buying my girlfriend Patron on dates that she loved... I bought her Jose Cuervo and told her it was Paton after her 2nd Patron shot... Instead of going to Dante's for dinner... We went to cheap-ass Mexicalli already hammered so it would taste even better, etc... You'll figure it out bro...
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 1:36:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Try posting in their industry forum, Josiah has been exceptionally helpful to everyone I've seen with problems. I've had one issue and yes I had to wait on the phone for 10min but it was resolved right away
View Quote
Thanks I'll try that. Only reason I got this from PSA was the price was worth it just for the bolt and FN barrel combo. It would have cost me more to get the barrel and then have the FSB installed alone plus I wanted to try a CHF 20" vs my Green Mountain CL barrels which have all been super. If it wasnt for that I would have assembled it myself from parts like all my other clones. I am willing to eat the cost of replacing parts for the clone look as the parts they gave are functional but the lower and the pin that mushroomed are unacceptable and I am doubting that the BCG is chrome lined as advertised. I can barely see a silver ring inside where the bolt rest which I am unsure is an uncoated area revealing the lining or if its wear as the inside of the BCg appears to be coated like the exterior.

EDIT posted in their industry forum. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 8:50:42 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Please PM me your order number, and we can get your concerns addressed. Please excuse and delayed response as I am at Shot.

Thank you,

Josiah
View Quote
Thank you. PM sent.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 12:00:10 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
Just wanted to thank you for your service to your fellow officers and to your community.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 12:26:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you’re close to Savannah they are hiring new hires at about 45k a year....probably a much different atmosphere than you’re used to but if a small town Wisconsin boy like me cut my teeth there, I’m sure you could do just fine.  Good luck on the rifle!
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:20:46 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If you’re close to Savannah they are hiring new hires at about 45k a year....probably a much different atmosphere than you’re used to but if a small town Wisconsin boy like me cut my teeth there, I’m sure you could do just fine.  Good luck on the rifle!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
LEO starting out at 45k per year??   Geez!

I know people in the trades as apprentice that make more than that

Heck,around here a high school graduate can get a forklift or manufacturing job making more than that!
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:36:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
and the dust cover looked like it was literally made of sprinkles.
View Quote
This caught my attention... obviously you had a variety of issues with some of the parts, but "sparkly" can be what brand new, dry parkerizing looks like. With some oil or grease soaked in it will look more like how you expect a parkerized finish to appear.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#30]
and the dust cover looked like it was literally made of sprinkles.
View Quote
That's actually pretty normal, for grainy parkerizing.   It's the same reason why, when you get one that was stored loose with a bunch of others they they normally are, they look like dogshit with scratches all over them.  Not something to worry about at all.

I'm pretty sure that most of the finish issues you've pointed out are normal.

If you want to build a really nice A4 clone, just get a new-old-stock real A4 upper.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:15:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Heck,around here a high school graduate can get a forklift or manufacturing job making more than that!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
If you're close to Savannah they are hiring new hires at about 45k a year....probably a much different atmosphere than you're used to but if a small town Wisconsin boy like me cut my teeth there, I'm sure you could do just fine.  Good luck on the rifle!

The average pay for a LEO in Georgia is only 25k a year. I did work for Savannah Metro when I first became a LEO (driving 100 miles each day to work there if that tells you how much I wanted to be a cop) but left due to my mothers sickness to be home with her and also due to the corruption issues in the high brass. They had just got rid of the old Chief who was charged and yet kept the other corrupt brass in the number 2 and down spots who where still being investigated. They had a guy still under investigation teaching ethic classes till he was cleared. The lower rank guys where good but the higher ups where suspect.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's actually pretty normal, for grainy parkerizing.   It's the same reason why, when you get one that was stored loose with a bunch of others they they normally are, they look like dogshit with scratches all over them.  Not something to worry about at all.

I'm pretty sure that most of the finish issues you've pointed out are normal.

If you want to build a really nice A4 clone, just get a new-old-stock real A4 upper.
View Quote
Thanks for the info. I got a real nice one ATM with the only parts on it not being correct or issued is the barrel (green mountain cause they just shoot so dang good) and lower reciever (Aero) and the semi auto FCG. I opted to get this over Ohio Ords. NOS upper as I wanted to try a CHF 20". I have had excellent results out of a 12.5 Centurion CHF and wanted to see how this does.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Welcome to public service.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#34]
PSA is trying to make it right. Apparently the BCG was incorrect and the charging handle was too. Just got the replacments in a second ago via UPS but the replacement BCG had a crushed Gas key probably dropped in shipping. I'll await what PSA tells me to do but I think I could possibly fix it by bending it to shape with a punch. My luck with this build is horrible. Hard to get my phone to focus but it looks like the edge of the gas key has striations like it was grinded or maybe hit concrete directly? I have never dealt with a bent gas key so if I can bend it back I am unsure if it could damage the upper or create a safety issue. Guess Ill go price gas keys.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2inrWe2]IMG_4934[1][/url] by Stuart Boyer, on Flickr
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ino2ou]DIQH5440[1][/url] by Stuart Boyer, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 4:01:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
PSA is trying to make it right. Apparently the BCG was incorrect and the charging handle was too. Just got the replacments in a second ago via UPS but the replacement BCG had a crushed Gas key probably dropped in shipping. I'll await what PSA tells me to do but I think I could possibly fix it by bending it to shape with a punch. My luck with this build is horrible. Hard to get my phone to focus but it looks like the edge of the gas key has striations like it was grinded or maybe hit concrete directly? I have never dealt with a bent gas key so if I can bend it back I am unsure if it could damage the upper or create a safety issue. Guess Ill go price gas keys.
View Quote
Do you suppose that is how the hole in the carrier for the cam pin got chewed up as well?

Look closely at that hole. What the hell PSA?

One would think that if a company screwed up a guys first order that they would go the extra mile trying not to send him shit parts a second time but not PSA.

How much junk do they have to send your way before you learn your lesson?
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 4:15:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 5:12:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Didnt even notice that since I was fustrated looking at the key and just sat it down. Ill break it all down and see if anything else is messed up.

EDIT: Everything else appears ok with the BCG other than the key and what you guys pointed out. But another lesson learned. I had to fix the roll pin in the charging handle too, minor gripe but it was sticking out way to far. Anyway I might as well cut my loses and buy a toolcraft BCG like my other clones and be done.

So far this is what I have had to do (wrong or bad parts):
Replace FSB pins (one was an inferior steel)
Refinish FSB with Oxypho-Blue after finally gettting pin removed (aluminum black wouldnt work)
Handguard cap (was over bored and too loose) (changed out with a spare I had on hand)
Replace BCG (incorrect one shipped with gun) (still awaiting a working /correct one)
Replace charging handle (wrong one sent with gun) (replacement one had to have roll pin fixed, minor issue) (had already replaced with one I bought prior to replacment arriving)
Gas tube slightly bent (replaced with one I had on hand)
Lower with bad finish and scratching (issue hasnt even been addressed by PSA though I did contact customer service and they finally did post my bad review for it up) (replaced with Aero lower)

Changed out parts (these where not wrong per the item description for the product PSA sold so no fault of PSA- just changed out as they do not fit the overall upper since its a phospahte finished barrel and not correct for a clone which Is what I wanted this upper barrel for):
A2 flash hider was nitride (changed with one I bought)
Delta Ring was nitride (changed with one I bought)
Barrel nut was nitride (changed with one I bought)
Changed out upper reciever to remove (PSA logo as I was ticked off at that point and only the barrel has been worth it on the upper)

EDIT: Just keeps cutting into my ACOG funds. Just went ahead and bought a Toolcraft B1B6.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 6:23:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
One would think that if a company screwed up a guys first order that they would go the extra mile trying not to send him shit parts a second time but not PSA.

How much junk do they have to send your way before you learn your lesson?
View Quote
Honestly was trying to give them a chance to make it right like I would any other company mistakes happen, I have had 28 order with them since 2014 without this kinda issue. Ruger, Springfield armory and Smith and Wesson, Addax Tactical (modified PWS piston gun) and Kriss have all had to fix new purchased guns for me as soon as I got them after first use. In Ruger and Springfields case they had to replace the whole gun and Ruger went the extra mile with the President of the company at the time sending me a hand written apology for their QC oversight. Springfield however blamed me for a defective gun in a letter they sent with the replacement stating I must have did something wrong (not operated the gun safely) and stated they found nothing wrong with the gun but replaced it as a precaution. They did apologize for the rude letter however after I sent them a copy of a video that was filmed of the original gun I sent them malfunctioning (the safety was defective) when used by me and a certified law enforcement firearm instructor (apparently they didnt believe me when I said I had it on video) and I have had no dealing with them since and will never own their guns again. Kriss and Smith only had to send me replacement parts to install myself. None of them however screwed up the replacment parts/guns like this so this may be it for me with PSA. You think as you said they would have not sent crap parts the second time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 5:29:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Honestly dude I’d just throw that trash heap away and get a 20” BCM upper. It will be built right with the right materials without any bullshit.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:10:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Honestly dude I'd just throw that trash heap away and get a 20" BCM upper. It will be built right with the right materials without any bullshit.
View Quote
Another replacement BCG is shipping out again to replace the damaged one. Gotta send them pics of the packaging as they are gonna file a claim with UPS as it appears to have bent in shipping.

Never had a complete BCM upper but I have used tons of BCM parts over the years. Almost all my rifles have them except my clones. One rifle is completely BCM parts except the lower reciever (already registered SBR) and the BCG (Lantac E-BCG) and barrel (Centurion CHF). I usually wanted options BCM did not have have for barrels hence why I have not bought a complete upper from them. That and I can buy the BCM parts and assemble myself cheaper than buying a complete upper and with out needing to remove unwanted parts to swap out and tempt me to assemble more rifles. Only draw back is the BCM upper recievers I buy wont have the laser logos so I guess I loose bragging rights? But even BCM has had to replace a charging handle for me so even they arent perfect but I do believe they are leagues ahead of PSA. But they dont have a CHF 20" barrel and no one else did so thats why I went PSA they where the only guys I could find the barrel in stock. I was about to order a BCM actualy to be my first complete upper from them when I noticed the PSA CHF in stock in an email.

If it had not been for the issues the PSA would have been a good deal, but hind sight is 20/20 now. Till mine I could find no major issues anyone here mentioned with the 20" CHF upper from them on this forum and it was recommended in the clone threads. As far as reviews on their site they where over whelmingly positive. What trapped me though was the cost to value ratio. I could get the complete PSA upper with a BCG that was suppossed to be clone correct, handle and a free set of handguards which I would toss anyway for 399. The BCM with no handguard no BCG and handle and a non CHF barrel was 439 and to assemble one with a FN CHF barrel if it had been in stock anywhere and send off to have FSB added alone would have set back 440 just for the barrel and nothing else.

I have six 20" upper rifles and have assembled all of them myself in the last two years till the PSA (which I guess at this point counts as assembled myself with the refitting). All run Green Mountain barrels which I absolutely love and are very accurate but I wanted a CHF to see how it fares as I have been more impressed with my Centurion 12.5 CHF (I have heard its made to their specs by FN?)  than my 11.5 Sabre Defense Govt profile and 10.5 Criterion Hybrid Profile as it has been the most accurate in the shorties to my surprise with my duty ammo. Still my 14.5 Colt Socom barrel is my most accuarte and one of my 20" Green Mountains and S&W 1:9 Chrome lined 16" are tied for 2nd most accuarte chrome lined barrel with bulk 55 or 62 Lake City ammo. Wanted to throw a 20" FN CHF in the mix as everyone brags on them and if the Centurion come from FN then I am hoping its a good barrel.

EDIt for spelling.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:16:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Regarding FN barrels, not all FN barrels are the same. FN will sell them to different manufacturers based in their own specs. A FN barrel from Centurion will be sold to them based on their specs, and one sold to FN will be based to their specs. I hear and wouldn’t be surprised if true if FN sells their seconds that didn’t meet the specs of higher end manufacturers to PSA under their “premium” line.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Regarding FN barrels, not all FN barrels are the same. FN will sell them to different manufacturers based in their own specs. A FN barrel from Centurion will be sold to them based on their specs, and one sold to FN will be based to their specs. I hear and wouldn't be surprised if true if FN sells their seconds that didn't meet the specs of higher end manufacturers to PSA under their "premium" line.
View Quote
Intresting thanks for the info. My knowledge on FN is limited to a FN Five Seven I owned when they first released here but Im learning.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 4:14:25 PM EDT
[#43]
This thread is a tragic reminder that a "good deal" isn't always.

Good on OP for hooking his guys up, but there's lay-away & financing available for guns these days. Lifesaving equipment isn't the place to save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 5:31:21 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a pair of 20" Aero rifles and they are perfect.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:26:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
This thread is a tragic reminder that a "good deal" isn't always.
View Quote
This site is rife with folks that will brag about how they spent $250 less for their "build" (you didn't build it...you assembled it) than you for your factory built rifle (that runs 100%), then post threads like these where it costs them double that in time and $$ to get it to work correctly.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

This site is rife with folks that will brag about how they spent $250 less for their "build" (you didn't build it...you assembled it) than you for your factory built rifle (that runs 100%), then post threads like these where it costs them double that in time and $$ to get it to work correctly.
View Quote
Pretty sure PSA would be ridiculed far more here if they were not a paying vendor / advertiser / part butcher.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 9:25:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Pretty sure PSA would be ridiculed far more here if they were not a paying vendor / advertiser / part butcher.
View Quote
Very possible. It was the reviews here that convinced me to look at PSA to begin with. Especially on the CHF uppers.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top