Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/9/2018 4:26:21 PM EDT
Hey guys, I have an issue with my brand spanking new URG, however I brought it to the range today to zero it.

It is a DDM4 URG with 10.3" barrel, 1/8" twist, pistol gas system.
i put a B&T compensator (for the Rotex II suppressor) on it.

I am shooting 200gr L-tech and 200gr DRT Terminal Shock subs. Both are keyholing at 25 yards, some steering far off but most hitting in decent groups - but at an angle.

The barrel _should_ be able to handle 200gr, reviews on the upper indicates so, and a friend with an identical upper shoots 220gr without issues.

It key holes with and without suppressor attached to the compensator.

What could be the cause? Did I get a bad barrel or could the comp be the culprit?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I have an issue with my brand spanking new URG, however I brought it to the range today to zero it.

It is a DDM4 URG with 10.3" barrel, 1/8" twist, pistol gas system.

I am shooting 200gr L-tech and 200gr DRT Terminal Shock subs. Both are keyholing at 25 yards, some steering far off but most hitting in decent groups - but at an angle.

The barrel _should_ be able to handle 200gr, reviews on the upper indicates so, and a friend with an identical upper shoots 220gr without issues.

It key holes with and without suppressor attached to the compensator.

What could be the cause? Did I get a bad barrel or could the comp be the culprit?
View Quote
It could be a defective barrel, and more than likely is, try a different comp and see what the results are, have you tried any supersonic rounds through it? If not regardless you should contact Daniel Defense, I know it sucks to send it back and wait but hell for the price you paid DD should make it right, and hope they do, from the sounds of it I doubt it would be the comp.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 10:27:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote
Easy test is remove the comp and try shooting it with the bare muzzle.  If key holing continues after that, I'd contact DD.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 2:47:18 PM EDT
[#4]
As others have said, test it without the comp first. If it continues keyholing, DD has already said they'll take care of you.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:51:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This definitely warrants filing a claim with us.  We'll gladly front the bill for you to ship it back to us so we can diagnose what's going on.  If it is in fact an issue with the barrel, we'll gladly replace it for you at no charge.  Give us a call anytime during the week or hit us up via our Contact Us links on our website.

S/F

Joe
View Quote
While I don't own any DD products this is a reassuring gesture, considering this isn't even in their sub forum! Since the Block III has come about with the Geissele Rails, does that mean we will see civilian production of RIS II rails again? Sorry to take it off topic real quick. Hey OP once again, I would just take the offer that DD has given you, so its' properly diagnosed and fixed!
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 7:19:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. And a lot of thanks to Marler5811 for stepping up.

I'm going to the range this weekend to try w/o compensator and also a few different loads.

Being in Europe it makes this a wee bit more complicated.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Try putting something behind your targets to give them some support. I have a P-64 that I thought was keyholing rounds until I went to another range with targets mounted on backboards. There, all of the holes were perfectly round. Now when I go to the range where I experienced the problem, I take a piece of cardboard to place behind my targets. No more keyholes. I can only speculate that my issue was due to a low velocity round not punching through the paper but dragging it as the round nosed bullets made their way through the target.

Only guessing here, but hope you get it figured out.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top