Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2023 7:25:45 AM EDT
I just acquired a 601 reweld that had some intentional defacing of the serial number, I’m assuming it took place during demill. Does anyone know of a gunsmith service that could weld up the bad spot and possibly re-stamp the serial?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:16:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Send a picture of the receiver to Braceman, if anyone can help you out it's him.

https://www.ar15.com/member/user.html?id=229115
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Send a picture of the receiver to Braceman, if anyone can help you out it's him.

https://www.ar15.com/member/user.html?id=229115
View Quote

Tried that already. He won’t take it because it’s a 100% lower.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I just acquired a 601 reweld that had some intentional defacing of the serial number, I’m assuming it took place during demill. Does anyone know of a gunsmith service that could weld up the bad spot and possibly re-stamp the serial?
View Quote

Could you possibly grind the area smooth and have a serial number deeply laser engraved?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 10:05:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Could you possibly grind the area smooth and have a serial number deeply laser engraved?
View Quote

I’m sure that’s possible, but the gouge is pretty deep. I was thinking it would look better if it could be built up.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Do an over stamp A2 conversion
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#6]
I was part of that conversion debacle in the Air Force. We used electro pencils and it looked horrible!!
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 11:43:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I’m sure that’s possible, but the gouge is pretty deep. I was thinking it would look better if it could be built up.
View Quote

Since it is a reweld, you will will have to do a paint on finish.  Since that is the case, they make some aluminum alloy rods that melt at a low temperature (propane torch) that could be used to build up the area.  You could then grind the area smooth and have whatever serial number you want engraved in that area before doing the paint on finish.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I’ll check that out
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 1:42:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I’ll check that out
View Quote

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top