Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:58:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In case no one chimes in with solid numbers, this is what I could find: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/State-of-the-Industry-Where-We-at-With-DPMS-G2-Pattern-/121-734605/&page=11#i8034526

I saw a statement in another post that the "newer" corrected bolts have notches in the bolt body that appear to be leftover from the machining that cuts the bolt lugs. My earlier bolt definitely does not have those notches. Maybe that will help you ID what you have in terms of bolts.

Additionally I saw another comment that the problem was two fold, the early bolts had a chamfered firing pin aperture, and the clearance between the firing pin and the aperture was too great.

Wish I had access to my guns or I'd look/measure for you.
View Quote

If the machining notches are any indication of the newer version then that's what I have here
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:42:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Placeholder. I'll get you some measurements in the next few days.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 11:35:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Placeholder. I'll get you some measurements in the next few days.
View Quote

Much appreciated!
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:27:07 AM EDT
[#4]
New FP tip .059
New bolt hole .063
Delta .004

Old FP tip .075
Old bolt hole .086
Delta .011

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Chamfer on the old design

My experience has been several different brands of ammo seem to have softer primers that heavily cratered or pierced with the old design. The resulting gas flow eroded the firing pin tip further exacerbating the problem until pieces of primer lodge in the FP channel and lock up the FP. I attribute the larger clearance in the FP tip to channel diameter to be the problem, the chamfer may also play a role.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 12:36:00 AM EDT
[#5]
As mentioned by another poster, adapter barrel nuts for various rail manufacturers would be popular, I imagine.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 3:51:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
New FP tip .059
New bolt hole .063
Delta .004

Old FP tip .075
Old bolt hole .086
Delta .011

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/283277/CFAC00D7-EB9D-4C29-BC33-B711E6D0959A_jpe-2370536.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/283277/F2C616D9-0A56-4B98-9E8F-5B5372FF030F_jpe-2370537.JPG

My experience has been several different brands of ammo seem to have softer primers that heavily cratered or pierced with the old design. The resulting gas flow eroded the firing pin tip further exacerbating the problem until pieces of primer lodge in the FP channel and lock up the FP. I attribute the larger clearance in the FP tip to channel diameter to be the problem, the chamfer may also play a role.
View Quote

Thanks for taking the time to get this info.
Curious why DPMS would have switched to the smaller pin design.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:34:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Dupe
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 4:37:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Can't hotlink the image, but picture in the first post here https://www.gunboards.com/threads/primer-cratering.1063705/ is nearly identical to what even starting load primers look like in my early GII.

Never had a problem from it, but if nothing else, it can make people think there is a real problem with the load or gun.

The DPMS forum here is gone now that the company is, but this is a cut/paste of their comment at the time in that forum:

"From DPMS on AR15.com

Your second observation was a different improvement, occurring roughly the same time but not related, where we reduced the dimensions of the exposure of the firing pin hole to alleviate the primer flow - again, no safety or functional change, simply aesthetic (to the resulting fired primer)."
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Can't hotlink the image, but picture in the first post here https://www.gunboards.com/threads/primer-cratering.1063705/ is nearly identical to what even starting load primers look like in my early GII.

Never had a problem from it, but if nothing else, it can make people think there is a real problem with the load or gun.

The DPMS forum here is gone now that the company is, but this is a cut/paste of their comment at the time in that forum:

"From DPMS on AR15.com

Your second observation was a different improvement, occurring roughly the same time but not related, where we reduced the dimensions of the exposure of the firing pin hole to alleviate the primer flow - again, no safety or functional change, simply aesthetic (to the resulting fired primer)."
View Quote

I had the same issue with a G2 I had.

Started a thread about it in Troubleshooting, and some clown there had me taking a file to the FP collar where it rests against the bolt tail. And I (like an idiot clown myself) listened to him and of course it just did the same thing but the craters were shallower.

G2 was traded for a POF Rouge with no regrets, and I still have the cratering bolt and FP is anyone want's it and pays for shipping.

Called Remington and they charged me 135$ for a new bolt with the tighter tolerance. Later found out I should not have been charged for it

ETA: Forgot to add that bottom pic with red circle and white arrow from the above poster (anthem_of_the_mind) is mine from the old thread in troubleshooting I started about the cratering.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:16:47 PM EDT
[#10]
If we’re going crazy here, I’d like an upper with a fucking brass deflector, as God intended it to have. Tired of hot  brass zipping past my face and ricocheting off my ear-pro.

But I voted bolt, with the caveat that it not have a massive firing pin hole that blanks primers on factory ammo, let alone handloads.

If I could fix these two deficiencies, I might actually take my G2 out and play with it more than maybe once annually.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 12:51:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If we’re going crazy here, I’d like an upper with a fucking brass deflector, as God intended it to have. Tired of hot  brass zipping past my face and ricocheting off my ear-pro.

But I voted bolt, with the caveat that it not have a massive firing pin hole that blanks primers on factory ammo, let alone handloads.

If I could fix these two deficiencies, I might actually take my G2 out and play with it more than maybe once annually.
View Quote

Here here!

Also for now check out the deflector brake. It should take care of the brass hitting you for now. I personally never used one but it looks like it should work well.

https://www.amazon.com/Deflector-Brake-Rifle-Brakes-Charging/dp/B06XKYLB8J
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:33:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Let's go real nuts, I want an A1 and/or A2 upper.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:27:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Let's go real nuts, I want an A1 and/or A2 upper.
View Quote

Ngl, I love this idea
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 10:29:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Big issue for me is not being able to have extra complete uppers to swap in/out. So my list is:
1. Firing pins
2. Stripped uppers
3. Barrel extensions or barrels w/extensions
4. Barrel nuts
5. Bolt carrier
6. Bolt
7. Extractor and associated parts.

I was able to pick up .243 Win and 260 Rem DPMS barrels when CDNN was closing out. It'd be great to attach them and use them.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 1:50:45 PM EDT
[#15]
If someone wanted to go ghetto, you could make an upper out of pipe.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 12:37:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Big issue for me is not being able to have extra complete uppers to swap in/out. So my list is:
1. Firing pins
2. Stripped uppers
3. Barrel extensions or barrels w/extensions
4. Barrel nuts
5. Bolt carrier
6. Bolt
7. Extractor and associated parts.

I was able to pick up .243 Win and 260 Rem DPMS barrels when CDNN was closing out. It'd be great to attach them and use them.
View Quote

Good news, most of your list items are currently available or in process.
Uppers are hard to source due to the proprietary steel feed ramp insert design.
We're working on a solution to this and will likely be offering billet upper receivers at some point in the next few months.
Link Posted: 5/13/2022 6:47:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Uppers are hard to source due to the proprietary steel feed ramp insert design.
We're working on a solution to this and will likely be offering billet upper receivers at some point in the next few months.
View Quote

Interesting, if beefy that could be a good solution for a target upper.
Link Posted: 5/30/2022 4:19:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Memorial Day sale at Defense depot. 15% off......
code = MEMORIAL15
Bought spares of what I could..... waiting for more
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 2:01:51 AM EDT
[#19]
How about an upper that accepts a standard 5.56 barrel nut like the POF Rogue.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 7:43:58 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:  How about an upper that accepts a standard 5.56 barrel nut like the POF Rogue.
View Quote

Does it really?  Knew it used a stock AR-15 bolt carrier, thought the bbl nut was proprietary.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 9:21:51 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Does it really?  Knew it used a stock AR-15 bolt carrier, thought the bbl nut was proprietary.
View Quote

They claim it requires their proprietary heat sink barrel nut, but it’s 5.56 thread and a few here are running normal AR15 rails on theirs with no issue.
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 12:59:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Any chance of a barrel extension being made??
Link Posted: 6/4/2022 8:57:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Any chance of a barrel extension being made??
View Quote

We’re currently sourcing them, but may look into manufacturing them in the future if DPMS doesn’t restart production of the GII
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 7:15:11 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

We’re currently sourcing them, but may look into manufacturing them in the future if DPMS doesn’t restart production of the GII
View Quote

May i ask where you´re sourcing them? In desperate need of one.
Link Posted: 6/6/2022 10:24:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Everything I have seen in 16" has a midlength gas. I may just keep the 260 remington setup, I can run the light 95g-120g bullets faster
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does the GII use shorter gas system lengths than a large frame gun? Because in a large frame gun a 16” barrel would need rifle gas or longer for best results.

Everything I have seen in 16" has a midlength gas. I may just keep the 260 remington setup, I can run the light 95g-120g bullets faster

There were some 16" defense barrels with rifle gas.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:06:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:  if DPMS doesn’t restart production of the GII
View Quote

Might as well start now. DPMS has no immediate plans to bring back the G2.
All they want to do is make run of the mill AR15's that everyone and their mom makes. Where on the other hand, the G2, they have no plans on making at this time.
I can not remember what thread on this forum I read that, but they pretty much said they have no plans of bringing back the G2 any time soon.
Let's make what people do not want, and not makes what they do want. It completely baffles me. The new owners are completely out of touch with their customer base.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 10:28:30 AM EDT
[#27]
PSA said its on their list, but they haven't even started yet, they're refining their Jakl and AKs, etc.  So probably 2-3 years out.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
New FP tip .059
New bolt hole .063
Delta .004

Old FP tip .075
Old bolt hole .086
Delta .011

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/283277/CFAC00D7-EB9D-4C29-BC33-B711E6D0959A_jpe-2370536.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/283277/F2C616D9-0A56-4B98-9E8F-5B5372FF030F_jpe-2370537.JPG

View Quote

Pierced primers will do that. Good to have spare firing pins.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:  Might as well start now. DPMS has no immediate plans to bring back the G2.
All they want to do is make run of the mill AR15's that everyone and their mom makes. Where on the other hand, the G2, they have no plans on making at this time.
I can not remember what thread on this forum I read that, but they pretty much said they have no plans of bringing back the G2 any time soon.
Let's make what people do not want, and not makes what they do want. It completely baffles me. The new owners are completely out of touch with their customer base.
View Quote

Given they sell every AR they produce, I'd say they are very much in touch w/ their customer base.

The gun world is full of people loudly yelling for specialized, low volume, high priced products that when they do appear, sell in very low numbers.  It's not surprising that boutique designs often fall out of production, likely to never return.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:  if DPMS doesn’t restart production of the GII

Jman_JJE said 2023/2024. Relevant thread from a couple weeks ago, post #4.
308 JAKL
ETA: DPMS Inc. (JJE) is already manufacturing and selling 4 -5 large frame models.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 9:55:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Gen 2 barrel in .260 Rem if anyone would like it.  IM me.
Link Posted: 7/18/2022 9:54:29 PM EDT
[#32]
BCGs finally going to production.
Who wants one?
Link Posted: 7/19/2022 9:35:33 AM EDT
[#33]
I’d be down for a complete bolt and firing pin 100%.

Link Posted: 7/23/2022 6:59:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
BCGs finally going to production.
Who wants one?
https://ibb.co/z5XxBzw
View Quote

What would it cost for you to run off a standard BAR free float barrel nut, but with DPMS GII inside threading?  So I could use an Aero Precision Enhanced handguard on my GII.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:14:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What would it cost for you to run off a standard BAR free float barrel nut, but with DPMS GII inside threading?  So I could use an Aero Precision Enhanced handguard on my GII.
View Quote

We've considered doing a small run of these.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 12:29:02 PM EDT
[#36]
Kind of out of left field but here it goes. I think the key to dominating with the GII is in material and finish selection. Id like to see 4150CMV chrome lined barrels with a medium/light contour as well as a fully chromed bolt carrier and a parkerized bolt/key. Bolt made from C158 would be ideal. As for hand guard selection, partnering with zev to make a barrel nut for their existing wedge lock hand guard would be a very smart move. Those things in a properly gassed rifle would be a HUGE step for 308 carbines.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 4:52:47 PM EDT
[#37]
I’d like to see barrels for the G2, specifically a .308 barrel that’s 12.5” in length. And yes, I know all about the Ballistics involved with a short .308 barrel. My G2 Recon has a 16” barrel, if I don’t find one I’m going to shorten it and spend some trial and error on the gas port size, but to be honest, I’d rather sell the 16” barrel and buy a short barrel.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 9:17:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

We've considered doing a small run of these.
View Quote

Couldn't you just order some unfinished ones, re-machine the threads and refinish?
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:15:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Couldn't you just order some unfinished ones, re-machine the threads and refinish?
View Quote

We're pretty deep into development of our own complete handguard, but we may offer BAR barrel nuts later on down the road.

Link Posted: 8/28/2022 9:04:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Yes.
All of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:50:08 PM EDT
[#41]
Is the DPMS Gen 2 AR10 design basically open source design with no protections except that barrel extension? I don't have a Gen 2 but wanted one and just realized DPMS was tied into the Remington crash and burn, but they are back and don't want to produce the GII? I came across some talk about PSA having a patent on the barrel extension and maybe producing them. What is going on?
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Is the DPMS Gen 2 AR10 design basically open source design with no protections except that barrel extension? I don't have a Gen 2 but wanted one and just realized DPMS was tied into the Remington crash and burn, but they are back and don't want to produce the GII? I came across some talk about PSA having a patent on the barrel extension and maybe producing them. What is going on?
View Quote

The steel feed ramp is also patented.  I wouldn't call the rest of the design open source as the prints are still property of DPMS (PSA) and haven't been released to the public.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 3:40:45 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

The steel feed ramp is also patented.  I wouldn't call the rest of the design open source as the prints are still property of DPMS (PSA) and haven't been released to the public.
View Quote

Ah, didn't realize PSA bought DPMS. I suppose that's sort of good news. They seem to have some pretty creative minds there and are definitely capable of putting together the right conditions to produce a good AR product. I appreciate the info.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:26:26 AM EDT
[#44]
Sad part is, they have expressed no interest in making new ones anytime soon.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:46:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:  Sad part is, they have expressed no interest in making new ones anytime soon.
View Quote

Hard to compete w/ Ruger who just copied POF's Rogue, even lighter than the G2 platform & less proprietary.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:07:09 AM EDT
[#46]
Why would it be hard to compete?

The DPMS design could probably shed a quarter pound in the lower alone.  LAR built them like a brick.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:36:29 AM EDT
[#47]
I have a new barrel for one if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Why would it be hard to compete?

The DPMS design could probably shed a quarter pound in the lower alone.  LAR built them like a brick.
View Quote

B/c the Ruger receivers are a half inch shorter than the DPMS Gen 2.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
...what are you all looking for? Replacement parts?..
View Quote

Elastomer rubber extractor springs like these: link

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 2:26:15 AM EDT
[#50]
Replacement parts!
Upper kits - Buffers, Bolt, lugs, springs, firing pin,  etc.  ,
Barrels too
Page / 5
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top