Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2020 7:00:36 PM EDT
Hey guys so I am finishing up my DMR build and I would say it’s a rather higher end build. I’ve been shooting rifles for a while now but I’d say I’m a novice when it comes to long range shooting. I’m 29 and as I get older I’m becoming more and more fond of long range shooting and all the aspects and learning it takes to become good at it.

I’m looking for a good optic for a beginner my budget would be 1K max and I’m not opposed to anything in the 6-700 range either. I’m hoping to get a good optic that’ll be good for my skill level but also something I won’t outgrow really fast once. It’s for a .223 Wylde build I figured I would start here before I go 308 or 6.5 Grendel just to test the waters and see how much I enjoy it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Vortex PST Gen II 3-15
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:27:26 PM EDT
[#2]
On the low end 3x and on the upper end around 20x is what you're looking for with an optic IMO.  Preferably FFP and MILS vs MOA is a personal preference. I like having a holdover grid now, but hated it initially. Illuminated is a must for me.

Another thing to factor is what ranges are you shooting at and is a variable power necessary. If it's not a SWFA super sniper 10x is a dang good buy for the money.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 8:43:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Its about the only thing I'm interested in thanks to my dad. I can shoot pistols but working up loads for my rifles and learning how good it can groups is the only thing that really interest me. I just wish I lived some place where I can shoot as I want in my backyard.

Check natchez and see what they have on sale. Nikon black are on clearance
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On the low end 3x and on the upper end around 20x is what you're looking for with an optic IMO.  Preferably FFP and MILS vs MOA is a personal preference. I like having a holdover grid now, but hated it initially. Illuminated is a must for me.

Another thing to factor is what ranges are you shooting at and is a variable power necessary. If it's not a SWFA super sniper 10x is a dang good buy for the money.
View Quote
FFP and MILS along with illuminated is what I’m looking for and variable would be nice. The range by me goes out to 800 so without trying variable power I’m assuming it would be a nice feature.

After this read I’m definitely wanting to go with MILS
http://8541tactical.com/turrets.php
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 9:20:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Its about the only thing I'm interested in thanks to my dad. I can shoot pistols but working up loads for my rifles and learning how good it can groups is the only thing that really interest me. I just wish I lived some place where I can shoot as I want in my backyard.

Check natchez and see what they have on sale. Nikon black are on clearance
View Quote
I feel the same way. I love how much more in depth you can go and how much more there is to learn.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 8:36:46 AM EDT
[#6]
After much research I think I’m going to go with the Vortex PST Gen II 3-15 it’s in my price range and has a lot of great reviews.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Budget is important here. But you mention the PSTII. If that’s your budget, that’s a solid option.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#8]
You might also look into this one. It's worth your time ATM.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#9]
This scope has really impressed me. I don't think you can find a better value at the price.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/argos-btr-gen2-6-24x50-apmr-ffp-ir-mil-copy/
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#10]
You know I’ve read a lot of good stuff about that optic in a lot of threads with similar questions. I’ve found guys with budgets slightly higher than mine and they still get recommended that optic.

** in response to BillyJack sorry forgot to quote
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:14:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Amazon has it right under 1K so it would just fit my budget. I have to check gun deals also I haven’t had a chance I am just getting off of work.

** in response to doty sorry I keep forgetting to quote lol
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 5:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
The budget deal going right now is the Nikon FX1000 line. All the good features and half off over at Europtic and Scope List.

I just bought my third today.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:37:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The budget deal going right now is the Nikon FX1000 line. All the good features and half off over at Europtic and Scope List.

I just bought my third today.
View Quote
Any issues with the two you have? I fo'd even after reading g about some issues on snipers hide from when they were first introduced. Hopefully they got everything corrected in the last 2 years.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Any issues with the two you have? I fo'd even after reading g about some issues on snipers hide from when they were first introduced. Hopefully they got everything corrected in the last 2 years.
View Quote
I haven't box tested yet.  I haven't seen issues so far.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:00:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I run the Bushnell LRTS 3-12x Mil/Mil. Camera land has them on sale for 599.99 or 649.99. Hard to beat that price for a NEW optic. I have 5 of them total on my 18” Guns.
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 9:15:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I run the Bushnell LRTS 3-12x Mil/Mil. Camera land has them on sale for 599.99 or 649.99. Hard to beat that price for a NEW optic. I have 5 of them total on my 18" Guns.
View Quote
Excellent optics.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 8:13:05 PM EDT
[#17]
If you can find one (everyone is closing them out), Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accupower. Phenomenal glass, clear and good low-light. I think Dvor still has some for under 400 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 1:37:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I am also tempted by this Weaver Tactical scope.  To the people that have looked through both, much better is the Vortex PST Gen 2 than this Weaver in terms of glass quality?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:24:47 AM EDT
[#20]
I actually ended up going with the Vortex PST Gen II 3-15 it just came on Thursday and i'm loving it so far
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top