Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2022 6:34:59 PM EDT
I've got several barrels with various gas blocks I'd like to pin.  Since jigs to do this are pretty expensive, and I have several different types to do, I figured I'd 3D print my own for a few bucks.  A simple chunk of plastic fitted to the correct gas block size with a metal bushing to keep the drill bit lined up should do the trick.

Picture just for reference.  I still need to figure out what size hole to be drilling, and the green chunk of plastic will probably be tweaked for print-ability.

Attachment Attached File

Then I can secure it in a vise and use a hand drill, or drill press.

My question is, where should a be drilling?  Is there a rule of thumb as to how deep into the barrel you should go?  I'd imagine staying as far away from the bore as possible is best both for safety and minimizing accuracy problems.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 12:49:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Nice CAD

I'm guessing About 1/3 to 1/2  of the pin diameter. Most coil pins are 1/8"OD    1/3 of 1/8" = 1/24"

Some are now lowering the cutout so less barrel material needs to be removed. Less is more in this case.

You only need enough to lock it in from rotation and from moving fore and aft.

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-MicroPin-Gas-Block-750-p17534540

If you could make an adj. in the jig for cut depth that would be sweet.

Accuracy with a 16" barrel having a pinned GB.

Ballistic Advantage Hanson Profile Barrels
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 11:01:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice CAD

I'm guessing About 1/3 to 1/2  of the pin diameter. Most coil pins are 1/8"OD    1/3 of 1/8" = 1/24"

Some are now lowering the cutout so less barrel material needs to be removed. Less is more in this case.

https://blackrivertactical.com/WP/BRT-MicroPin-Gas-Block-750-p17534540

If you could make an adj. in the jig for cut depth that would be sweet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40lYpkzNcuw
View Quote

Thanks!

Ordered some 1/8" OD x 1/2" long coil spring pins, and a #31 size drill bushing from Grainger.

Did some more looking, and most out there seem to be like you say, 1/2 to maybe a little less the diameter of the pin.  I may just do 1/3 and call it good.

Dunno if I'll make the jig adjustable.  A little hard to do with plastic and keep the necessary rigidity.  

That whole cad drawing above took about 5 minutes, and changing hole position is trivial.  Could just make several STL files with different spacings.  Won't take much plastic to make one, you could print out a bunch of them all at once for very little money.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:43:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks!

Ordered some 1/8" OD x 1/2" long coil spring pins, and a #31 size drill bushing from Grainger.

Did some more looking, and most out there seem to be like you say, 1/2 to maybe a little less the diameter of the pin.  I may just do 1/3 and call it good.

Dunno if I'll make the jig adjustable.  A little hard to do with plastic and keep the necessary rigidity.  

That whole cad drawing above took about 5 minutes, and changing hole position is trivial.  Could just make several STL files with different spacings.  Won't take much plastic to make one, you could print out a bunch of them all at once for very little money.
View Quote

What do you hope to accomplish with these?
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 2:08:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

What do you hope to accomplish with these?
View Quote

Hold the gas block on?  

I've seen some gas blocks that use them, and the specs say they're stronger than standard roll pins.

Also, it was cheaper for a 25 pack of them vs a 100 pack of standard roll pins (Grainger doesn't sell the standard stuff in packs less than 100).  Since 25 is probably more than I'll ever need to use, the stronger cheaper option is what I chose.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:26:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Hold the gas block on?  

I've seen some gas blocks that use them, and the specs say they're stronger than standard roll pins.

Also, it was cheaper for a 25 pack of them vs a 100 pack of standard roll pins (Grainger doesn't sell the standard stuff in packs less than 100).  Since 25 is probably more than I'll ever need to use, the stronger cheaper option is what I chose.
View Quote

If you want the gas block to be rock solid you should use solid tapered pins.  Coil pins and split roll pins aren't going to be as effective.  Set screws and a dimple would to just as well.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 2:07:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If you want the gas block to be rock solid you should use solid tapered pins.  Coil pins and split roll pins aren't going to be as effective.  Set screws and a dimple would to just as well.
View Quote

This is for low profile gas blocks like in the picture and have limited room.  Some of which may be adjustable (could need to be field serviced).   A tapered pin would still probably be stronger, but would be less useful if you need to get a gas block apart away from a full shop.  Also, being low profile, they're protected under the handguard, don't have much leverage worries compared to a FSB, and don't have bayo lugs.

Also, all of the blocks in question already have set screws and dimpled barrels, which only leaves room for a single pin.  Since that's all the room I have, and for the reasons above, I think a coiled roll pin will serve very well as a backup holding device.

Suppose I could use a tapered pin on the non adjustable low pro blocks.  Wonder how much of an advantage tapered pins have on really skinny low pro blocks though.  They get most of their holding strength from the amount of surface area they contact, which will be a lot less on a low pro compared to a FSB.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This is for low profile gas blocks like in the picture and have limited room.  Some of which may be adjustable (could need to be field serviced).   A tapered pin would still probably be stronger, but would be less useful if you need to get a gas block apart away from a full shop.  Also, being low profile, they're protected under the handguard, don't have much leverage worries compared to a FSB, and don't have bayo lugs.

Also, all of the blocks in question already have set screws and dimpled barrels, which only leaves room for a single pin.  Since that's all the room I have, and for the reasons above, I think a coiled roll pin will serve very well as a backup holding device.

Suppose I could use a tapered pin on the non adjustable low pro blocks.  Wonder how much of an advantage tapered pins have on really skinny low pro blocks though.  They get most of their holding strength from the amount of surface area they contact, which will be a lot less on a low pro compared to a FSB.
View Quote

I wouldn't even bother pinning a GB that is under a handguard.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

^ This. The least amount necessary to secure the gas block. Anything you do to the barrel can distort the bore, so the less invasive the better. Criterion has measured bore deformation caused by set screw gas blocks via air gauging. A taper pin would likely cause much more deformation of the bore considering it is a wedge against the gas block and barrel. AK's have used straight pins of appropriate size to mount multiple barrel components (fsb,rsb and gb) for decades without issue, no need for taper.

Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40lYpkzNcuw

BA uses coiled straight pins, no taper. Just so there is no confusion.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:45:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've got several barrels with various gas blocks I'd like to pin.  Since jigs to do this are pretty expensive, and I have several different types to do, I figured I'd 3D print my own for a few bucks.  A simple chunk of plastic fitted to the correct gas block size with a metal bushing to keep the drill bit lined up should do the trick.

Picture just for reference.  I still need to figure out what size hole to be drilling, and the green chunk of plastic will probably be tweaked for print-ability.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102216/gas_block_pin_png-2374397.JPG

Then I can secure it in a vise and use a hand drill, or drill press.

My question is, where should a be drilling?  Is there a rule of thumb as to how deep into the barrel you should go?  I'd imagine staying as far away from the bore as possible is best both for safety and minimizing accuracy problems.
View Quote

I would get rid of that protrusion and get the bushing closer to the gb. The shorter the drill bit, the less chance of deflection.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]
BA uses coiled straight pins, no taper. Just so there is no confusion.
View Quote

And they won't keep a GB from rotating.  Topic has been discussed several time on arfcom
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 8:39:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

And they won't keep a GB from rotating.  Topic has been discussed several time on arfcom
View Quote

That may or may not be the case but, one thing is for sure..Accuracy of a straight pinned barrel can not be used to determine the accuracy potential of a taper pinned barrel which is subjected to varying degrees of wedged tension against the bore.

Link Posted: 5/23/2022 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I would get rid of that protrusion and get the bushing closer to the gb. The shorter the drill bit, the less chance of deflection.
View Quote

Yeah, it will be more compact when I get the drill bushing and have actual dimensions.  The bushing is only an inch long, and I'll probably take a grinder to it to match the profile of the gasblock.  That'l give me metal all the way down, and should keep things from moving.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top