Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2022 1:18:13 PM EDT
I am in the market for an AR10 in 308 with 16" barrel. These are the two that I've picked out. The DD is probably better quality, however it is around $1000 more and I could buy the Sig with a suppressor for the same money.

Should I get the DD with no suppressor, or the Sig with a suppressor?

I already have a Vortex HD gen2 4.5-27x optic that will be mounted on the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you plan on shooting this rifle a lot? If so get the one where you can buy replacement parts, that rules out Sig. I’m not sure what DD sells by way of parts or if you can buy aftermarket parts to keep it going. It’s a NO GO for if I have to send back a rifle to replace anything on an AR based system.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Does the sig have proprietary parts? Only thing I could see myself ever switching out would be the Barrel or replacing the BCG in the distant future.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 3:31:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the sig have proprietary parts? Only thing I could see myself ever switching out would be the Barrel or replacing the BCG in the distant future.
View Quote

At a minimum the bolt carrier and charging handle on the 716i will be proprietary.

The DD5 receivers appear to be Armalite pattern, but I'm not sure about parts compatibility.

Personally, of the 2, I'd get the Sig. I just don't see an additional $1k worth of value in the DD.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 4:42:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Magazine release (Same as MCX, MPX, and Spear).
Gas tube.
Gas block.
Bolt carrier.
Charging handle.

People have used DPMS pattern barrels in them so the bolt itself is likely DPMS pattern too. Always subject to verification though as I have not done it myself.

Other things to consider. The gas block is not easily changed out on the Sig. New models have stainless barrels with exterior DLC coating instead of being nitride carbon steel like the first variants. The receiver height is HK 416 height.

I’d pick the Sig.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Have all of those things. Suppressed is far superior to unsuppressed. Go SIG.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the input. I will likely go with the Sig over the Daniel Defense.

Spare parts are somewhat of a concern for large frame ARs that I didn’t realize before. There’s no standard across the industry like the AR15.

I’d like to be able to easily do barrel swaps and have some spare parts.

I might consider sticking to the small frame AR in a long range cartridge like 6mm ARC. I’m not invested in 308 at all yet and I’m second-guessing it now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Daniel defense has every spare part for the AR15 on their website, and absolutely none for the AR10.

And Sig has been known to discontinue models and stop supporting it.

I’m really second-guessing the AR10 now

EDIT: I’ll contact Daniel Defense and see if they will sell spare parts kit to me for their AR10. I will also ask if other barrels are compatible. I’ll buy the DD5 if both are true.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 11:27:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Daniel defense has every spare part for the AR15 on their website, and absolutely none for the AR10.

And Sig has been known to discontinue models and stop supporting it.

I’m really second-guessing the AR10 now

EDIT: I’ll contact Daniel Defense and see if they will sell spare parts kit to me for their AR10. I will also ask if other barrels are compatible. I’ll buy the DD5 if both are true.
View Quote

The 716i is the highest production 308 AR ever made. It’s very possible that Sig has surpassed KAC and Armalite combined in production numbers. I think the Indian military contract will keep the 716i on Sig’s front page for a long time to come.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 8:49:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Magazine release (Same as MCX, MPX, and Spear).
Gas tube.
Gas block.
Bolt carrier.
Charging handle.

People have used DPMS pattern barrels in them so the bolt itself is likely DPMS pattern too. Always subject to verification though as I have not done it myself.

Other things to consider. The gas block is not easily changed out on the Sig. New models have stainless barrels with exterior DLC coating instead of being nitride carbon steel like the first variants. The receiver height is HK 416 height.

I’d pick the Sig.
View Quote

The piston 716 uses a DPMS pattern bolt, so it would make sense for the 716i to also use DPMS pattern bolts, and by extension DPMS pattern barrels.

I have no first hand knowledge, this is all from my research when I was looking at buying a 716i. I ended up building an Aero M5.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Daniel Defense’s reply:

“Good morning,
We do hope to offer the DD5 Critical Components kit again when inventory will allow, but there is no timeline on that at this moment. In the interim, if you ever had an issue our warranty will have you covered, and I wouldn’t expect you to ever even need it.

As for the barrels, they are proprietary to the DD5 as that entire platform is a proprietary design.”

I will pass on the Daniel Defense. I am still considering the Sig 716i, but I’m not sold on it yet due to Sig not offering spare parts for it.
Page AR-15 » AR Variants
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top