Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/15/2018 6:48:14 PM EDT
At $0.25/round delivered I'm tempted to try some but I've never seen it before. Anyone have any experience with this ammo?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
It says made for Czech Military with a Circle 10 on the tin (Bulgaria) I believe it is brass case with bimetal projectile.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:35:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Doe the bi-metal jacket affect its ability to fragment?
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:47:05 PM EDT
[#4]
See the ammo orracle on combloc ammo.

The short answer for 5.56mm is, yes - bimetal jacketed FMJs fragment poorly if at all. However the 62gr JHP bimetal comblock ammo generally does much better. Personally, I would consider the czech M193 bimetal FMJ to be just like any other bimetal FMJ (poor) unless proven otherwise by documented testing. Good for blasting.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Meh, for $0.03/round more I'll just stick to Wolf Gold
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:18:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Did anyone here pick this stuff up? If so and they can spare a box for my collection please let me know. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/26/2018 11:48:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Lot:P01-13Cartridge Overall Weight: 181 gr
OAL: 2.2475:
Powder Charge: 25.60 gr
Bullet Weight: 54.70 gr
Bullet Length: 0.7545"
Bullet Diameter: 0.2245"
Primer Type: Boxer
Magnetic: Yes
Sealed Bullet: Yes
Sealed Primer: Yes

5.56x45mm, 55gr FMJ, M193 Czech Surplus by Matt H, on Flickr

Link Posted: 12/27/2018 8:21:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Tag here as well!
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#9]
@Buffman, were you able to velocity / gel test these yesterday like you had hoped to?  Very curious as to the velocity figures and the gel results.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a popped primer in the first mag in a 10.5 sbr.  Its bimetal and won't shoot all that great but it was rather cheap and will work as a paper popper.  We were hoping to get some velocity info today but it was hovering around zero this morning and is only up to 14 now don't really feel like lugging out the lab radar.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 9:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Give me a bit. Busy day with car work. Good m193 velocities but 4 hard primers, and little to no frag
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 10:19:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Give me a bit. Busy day with car work. Good m193 velocities but 4 hard primers, and little to no frag
View Quote
We knew it had a steel jacket from Arsenal’s website so we didn’t expect good fragmentation, if any at all.
Link Posted: 12/29/2018 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#13]
A round doesn't need to fragment if it has reliable consistent tumbling.  Ultimately, fragmentation is a means to an end, but it in and of itself isn't the goal.  Sufficient wound channel / leathality is the goal.

Link Posted: 12/29/2018 11:42:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
A round doesn't need to fragment if it has reliable consistent tumbling.  Ultimately, fragmentation is a means to an end, but it in and of itself isn't the goal.  Sufficient wound channel / leathality is the goal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUAFYW1eaDs
View Quote
I hear you.  The fact M193 with a gilding copper/zinc jacket fragments was a fluke, not a design feature.  The Bulgarian ammo will still produce a large temporary wound cavity and the liver, spleen or brain won’t survive that.  And it will still poke holes in everything else.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 1:15:02 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I hear you.  The fact M193 with a gilding copper/zinc jacket fragments was a fluke, not a design feature.  The Bulgarian ammo will still produce a large temporary wound cavity and the liver, spleen or brain won’t survive that.  And it will still poke holes in everything else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Indeed.  In fact, it was originally believed that the 5.56's "massive wounding" was due to tumbling.  It wasn't until much later that it became known that it was due to fragmentation of the round.

According to this author, here.  The old Norinco .223 load is designed to tumble and is very lethal.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase/.223+Remington.html"

The one brand of 55 grain FMJ ammunition that does tumble is Norinco although the mechanism which initiates yaw on impact is difficult to ascertain.

Above: The tumbling 55gr FMJ Norinco. Aside from the brand of projectile, this is how Stoner and Hutton first intended the .223 to perform. The exit wound has been cleaned up for inspection. Below is a thumb of the carcass as it was initially found:

Lastly, for those who are able to find a source, Norinco projectiles do appear on the market from time to time. These projectiles are often sold off, after the original load has been pulled and a new soft point projectile has been seated by an aftermarket manufacturer. The Norinco projectile is simply the most effective .224” bullet available for hunting lighter medium game and hunters should have absolutely no hesitation in trusting it beyond all other .224” offerings.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#16]
556bulgym193 by Matt H, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#17]
@Buffman_LT1

Those bullets are zipping along!

Tell us more about the hard primers.  Did they go off after another strike?

I bought 5 crates of it based on reputation of Bulgarian stuff alone.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#18]
The velocities are not bad.  The 16" barrel velocities are high but the 20" barrel velocities are a little low.  I'm more interested in seeing how the gel results turned out.  Did we get early tumbling if they didn't fragment?
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The velocities are not bad.  The 16" barrel velocities are high but the 20" barrel velocities are a little low.  I'm more interested in seeing how the gel results turned out.  Did we get early tumbling if they didn't fragment?
View Quote
He’s probably still putting things together.  This is a lot of work to put the info together.  Thank you for the info @Buffman_LT1 !
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:29:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@Buffman_LT1

View Quote
This was in the AIM SSTAT trigger, and in the TC Compass. When I shot them through a standard AR trigger/hammer setup they did go off.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
This was in the AIM SSTAT trigger, and in the TC Compass. When I shot them through a standard AR trigger/hammer setup they did go off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@Buffman_LT1

OK, cool.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#22]
5.56x45mm, 55gr M193, Bulgarian Surplus Review
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 1:28:01 AM EDT
[#23]
Great report, thanks!!  Looks like it has some fast burning powder!  High velocities from the 16" and lower barrels and moderate velocities out of the 20".

Doesn't fragment but seems like it tumbles consistently with good wound channels regardless.
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top