Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/21/2020 2:53:24 PM EDT
Someone posted pics of their cut-down SBA3 which ended up being about the size of the LWRC ultra compact stock. I've looked everywhere and can't find the thread. Anyone point me in the right direction?
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 2:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Thought you couldn't modify a brace?
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 3:01:09 PM EDT
[#2]
They didnt touch "brace" end, only the portion closest to the castle nut.
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thought you couldn't modify a brace?
View Quote

You can do whatever you want 'BUT' don't do stupid. If the mod makes it easier to shoulder fire or it causes the brace to no longer function like an arm brace then that would be stupid. Heck, I've seen people making their own braces. There's a guy selling blade type braces that look like N1 stocks in the retro section. Not mine but below is a photo of one, looks pretty awesome!
Ultimately it's the ATF's opinion that will matter so I would be cautious. Be very sure that the BRACE actually works as a brace and doesn't have any sort of butt pad that could be considered shoulder fired. Sending in the completed pistol to the ATF to get the ''not shoulder fired'' evaluation would be a good idea if you alter or make a brace.

Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:50:48 PM EDT
[#4]
the CMMG ripbrace is a shortened sba3.

I bought one and a lwrc uciw spring that I planned to do the same thing with a shortened buffer tube and custom buffer.

This is a MS Paint "photoshoped" idea of how short I planned to go. Still on the fence though.

Link Posted: 3/22/2020 12:54:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
the CMMG ripbrace is a shortened sba3.

I bought one and a lwrc uciw spring that I planned to do the same thing with a shortened buffer tube and custom buffer.

This is a MS Paint "photoshoped" idea of how short I planned to go. Still on the fence though.
https://i.imgur.com/gcJBRLwl.jpg

View Quote
This is the type of thing I saw in the thread I'm trying to find. The mod just allows the brace to collapse further. Thanks for the pic.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 9:06:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You can do whatever you want 'BUT' don't do stupid. If the mod makes it easier to shoulder fire or it causes the brace to no longer function like an arm brace then that would be stupid. Heck, I've seen people making their own braces. There's a guy selling blade type braces that look like N1 stocks in the retro section. Not mine but below is a photo of one, looks pretty awesome!
Ultimately it's the ATF's opinion that will matter so I would be cautious. Be very sure that the BRACE actually works as a brace and doesn't have any sort of butt pad that could be considered shoulder fired. Sending in the completed pistol to the ATF to get the ''not shoulder fired'' evaluation would be a good idea if you alter or make a brace.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49406070151_7860700c5d_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49406069981_6178617492_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49637715196_02501e473b_b.jpg
View Quote

Link on where to find these braces?
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Link on where to find these braces?
View Quote

I'll send you an IM with the members name. I don't want to post his name since I don't know him and haven't asked. There is also a 6 page discussion in the retro forum if your interested. He seems to have a waiting list of members who are wanting to purchase them. You'll need to contact him and put your name on the wait list.
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 3:29:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is the type of thing I saw in the thread I'm trying to find. The mod just allows the brace to collapse further. Thanks for the pic.
View Quote

Here is a standard Sba3 next to the CMMG ripbrace Micro
Link Posted: 3/22/2020 4:53:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

https://v6q9s5t8.ssl.hwcdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/20181127_091338-1024x576.jpg
View Quote
Thanks for sharing
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://v6q9s5t8.ssl.hwcdn.net/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/20181127_091338-1024x576.jpg
View Quote

I want one of those Micros, with Law folder.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Aren't you running a modified Shockwave brace, on your "firearm"?
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 5:48:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Someone posted pics of their cut-down SBA3 which ended up being about the size of the LWRC ultra compact stock. I've looked everywhere and can't find the thread. Anyone point me in the right direction?
View Quote

@bigmoney327

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Sugar-Weasel-meet-the-Polecat-/118-748568/

Cutting the length is straightforward... I marked my length with masking tape, then rough-cut with a hacksaw. Bandsaw is mo better. I then filed and sanded to final length and square on a surface plate. You can’t tell that it’s a hacked up brace.
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 5:57:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@bigmoney327

https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Sugar-Weasel-meet-the-Polecat-/118-748568/

Cutting the length is straightforward... I marked my length with masking tape, then rough-cut with a hacksaw. Bandsaw is mo better. I then filed and sanded to final length and square on a surface plate. You can't tell that it's a hacked up brace.
View Quote
thanks @MJ11B4P - the polecat is awesome!
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
thanks @MJ11B4P - the polecat is awesome!
View Quote

Thank you!

Some more info in this thread:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Ultra-Compact-CAR-stock/12-749561/
Link Posted: 3/23/2020 6:18:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sort of. It's a plain old Shockwave Blade but I have a MFT cheek rest on it.
Link Posted: 3/26/2020 6:38:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 3/31/2020 3:18:41 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 9:27:59 PM EDT
[#18]
My wife has two of these braces  an loves them. Nice pistol BTW.
Link Posted: 4/10/2020 8:35:04 PM EDT
[#19]
That receiver extension looks shorter than the LWRC? Am i correct? If so, please share how you accomplished thus?
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:31:49 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Do those have any adjustability?
Link Posted: 4/11/2020 1:12:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
That receiver extension looks shorter than the LWRC? Am i correct? If so, please share how you accomplished thus?
View Quote

That is the LWRC UCIW buffer tube. The image for the LWRC UCIW on LWRC's website is incorrect. I shortened my own buffer and clipped a few coils off of a strike industries flat wire spring. I purchased a UCIW spring, but i found it to be quite a bit stiffer than a typical carbine spring would be in a normal length tube.
Page AR-15 » AR Pistols
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top