Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2018 11:23:00 AM EDT
Its a 3 gun lab LMBCG i believe its pitting from the bolt catch..

If thats the case would like to know why, if its a problem and how to stop it?

Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:39:23 AM EDT
[#1]
The beat up coating on the bolt catch is normal, for something coated like that, the bolt hammers into the catch and will scrape off any coating in that area.

The hammer is making that chatter on your carrier, but I have never seen it so bad... but this is Aluminim which is a very poor choice for a carrier, because it is soft, and does not hold up well to abuse.  See where the damage to the carrier stops near the front?  That's exactly where the top of the hammer stops during fully rearward movement.

Lots of complaints on this chatter happening on Aluminum carriers, if you search.  You can likely limit this by rounding and polishing the top of your hammer

It looks like you had a pretty significant burr on your hammer at some point..... but "chatter" like this is common on Aluminum carriers.

I have had fancy triggers that I had to stone the top before, because they would drag too heavily on the carrier.  I have also had carriers out of spec, and sit slightly too low, which caused excessive drag.

The bolt catch *should* spring down (away from the carrier), and would not cause that damage on the recessed part, where you have the most damage.  An out of spec catch height can cause some damage, but you'd see it near the very front of the carrier, where you have the least wear.

Here are other pics from a very experienced 3gunner who also saw similar results from Aluminum carriers:

Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you,  makes sense. I will have to see about rounding it off a little.

3 gun is why i went LWBCG
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:41:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you,  makes sense. I will have to see about rounding it off a little.

3 gun is why i went LWBCG
View Quote
You don't need a carrier that light.

The Noveske shooting team used full weight M16 carriers for years.

Lightening the carrier (and spring) in *conjunction* with an adjustable gas block, and a highly efficient muzzle brake, results in the lest perceived recoil for keeping fast double taps on target.  However, the Brake, and the Adjustable gas block are the two most critical components in this equation.  Going too light increases reciprocating mass velocity, potential for early unlocking, etc.

I'd choose a JP LMOS, or any of the other competitive carriers on the market that are made of steel, over any aluminum specialty carriers.

Unless you are in the top 5% of 3-gunners in the world, very little of this has any real effect on your scores.  Your mistakes and lack of skill will.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#4]
The hammer beating up the carrier is probably because it's aluminum.
You need something like this. I'm not sure if anyone makes such a thing for a real AR, the hammer pictured is for an airsoft AR rifle. I thought it was a good idea when I saw it though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 1:14:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top