Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/19/2018 4:24:27 AM EDT
Considering trying a 80%.

Looking at the Easy Jig 1 from 80% arms

Anyone use that one ? I watched their 20 minute video. Looks easy enough.

What router would you recommend ?
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:29:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Considering trying a 80%.

Looking at the Easy Jig 1 from 80% arms

Anyone use that one ? I watched their 20 minute video. Looks easy enough.

What router would you recommend ?
View Quote
5D tactical is the way most are going these days including the router they recommend, if you are only going to do one, you should be able to sell for not much less than you buy it for.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 8:39:18 AM EDT
[#2]
5D Tactical Pro and Makita router.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

5D tactical is the way most are going these days including the router they recommend, if you are only going to do one, you should be able to sell for not much less than you buy it for.
View Quote
This.

But after you do one, you'll quickly realize you need about a dozen more.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 11:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Peronally, no problems with the Easy Jig Gen 1.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:20:23 AM EDT
[#6]
My wife was going to buy me the Harbor Freight Mini Mill for a combination birthday/Christmas present to do 80% lowers with. Luckily they were back ordered and everyone here suggested 5D tactical. After watching the videos and figuring all the extras I would have needed for the mill it seemed like a no brainier.
I bought the DeWalt 611 that they recommend as their 1st choice. It's under the Christmas tree waiting.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:35:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't speak for any others but I have the 5DTactical version 2 (Pro?) and the Dewalt 611.  I have milled out an AR-10 and multiple AR-15 lowers and it works GREAT if you take your time and use cutting fluid.  I do recommend getting better drill bits for cutting the trigger group holes and the safety holes though - the drill bits they give you are not the best.  I have built all of the lowers into working guns and they all work great.  It really is quite fun to mill and build them - I keep building more because it is fun and not because I need them.  I am contemplating getting the 5Dtactical 9mm AR build kit but I haven't seen any reviews on how well they work yet.   The 5DTactical kit does ar-10, 1r-15 and ar-9 lowers so that is cool - not sure if the other do.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 12:43:22 AM EDT
[#8]
5D!
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#9]
What is the real difference between the 5D universal jig and the PRO ?

I am only interested in making 5.56 lowers, don't care about 9mm or .308
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 6:47:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I do not have a router yet. I am unsure if I need the full size router plate or not. Does it make a difference which router I get ?
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I recently bought a gen 1 easyjig.  Haven't gotten to use it yet due to my lower not coming in and not having a router yet
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:22:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out ceratac.com. 179.00 for the 5D pro(ready mill kit ~40.00) lowers(Cerro forge) 39.99. DeWalt DWP 611 on Amazon 138.00.

I just finished the Ceratac AR308(5D tactical makes the jig adapter (39.99) Ceratac sells just for their AR 308, which is a SR762 lower).

Fit and finish off that AR308 are excellent, and the 5d pro and Ceratac adapter milled put a perfect lower.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:33:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I am only interested in making 5.56 lowers, don't care about 9mm or .308
View Quote
You want the pro. It uses there ready mill(3 kits cover popular compact routers). The readymill attaches to the shaft of the router, eliminating the collect. I'd highly recommend a compact router(DeWalt dwp611 is excellent choice). I think a full size would impair visually seeing what you are doing and just overall cumbersome.

If you buy it through Ceratac, it's just the AR15/9 adapters that it includes, and it's 179.99. The pro has a take down pin holder on one end, and an end plate adapter on the other. And ar15/9 use the same adapters, the combo kit comes with end plate adapter and offset TD pin holder to accommodate large frame on same jig, and can be purchased later should you wish to use you pro jog for large frame AR.

The 5D pro is stupid easy to use, as idiot proof as I would think they could possibly be made.

As for which compact router to get, the DeWalt dwp611 is their recommended router. But they make 3 readymill kits, A, B & C. Each kit lists the router(s) they fit. So look at those three, then look at the routers they fit, make your router choice and but corresponding readymill kit.
Link Posted: 12/20/2018 11:46:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's some photos of the 5d pro when I was milling out the Ceratac AR308.

Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:39:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Check out ceratac.com. 179.00 for the 5D pro(ready mill kit ~40.00) lowers(Cerro forge) 39.99. DeWalt DWP 611 on Amazon 138.00.

I just finished the Ceratac AR308(5D tactical makes the jig adapter (39.99) Ceratac sells just for their AR 308, which is a SR762 lower).

Fit and finish off that AR308 are excellent, and the 5d pro and Ceratac adapter milled put a perfect lower.
View Quote
How is the quality of their lowers ?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:40:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You want the pro. It uses there ready mill(3 kits cover popular compact routers). The readymill attaches to the shaft of the router, eliminating the collect. I'd highly recommend a compact router(DeWalt dwp611 is excellent choice). I think a full size would impair visually seeing what you are doing and just overall cumbersome.

If you buy it through Ceratac, it's just the AR15/9 adapters that it includes, and it's 179.99. The pro has a take down pin holder on one end, and an end plate adapter on the other. And ar15/9 use the same adapters, the combo kit comes with end plate adapter and offset TD pin holder to accommodate large frame on same jig, and can be purchased later should you wish to use you pro jog for large frame AR.

The 5D pro is stupid easy to use, as idiot proof as I would think they could possibly be made.

As for which compact router to get, the DeWalt dwp611 is their recommended router. But they make 3 readymill kits, A, B & C. Each kit lists the router(s) they fit. So look at those three, then look at the routers they fit, make your router choice and but corresponding readymill kit.
View Quote
So, all I would need is the pro jig, the readymill kit, and the router ? And obviously at least one 80% lower.

I want to make sure I am not missing any needed parts and accessories if I decide to order, and find I need to order again because I missed something.

I think that would cover it, but figured I better make sure.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#17]
The Pro has thicker side plates which provide more support for the bit while drilling the hammer/trigger & safety holes.

5D Pro, router and tool kit to match, 80% lower, drill, cutting fluid or WD40, done.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

So, all I would need is the pro jig, the readymill kit, and the router ? And obviously at least one 80% lower.

I want to make sure I am not missing any needed parts and accessories if I decide to order, and find I need to order again because I missed something.

I think that would cover it, but figured I better make sure.
View Quote
The quality of their lowers are excellent. Very nice safe/fire engraving, excellent anodize(same for their upper as well).

Tools needed other then jig, readymill kit (which comes with 3/8", 21/64", and 5/32" drill bits).and router are:

Drill(I'd recommend a bench top drill press although I just use a snap on cordless drill)

A vise to clamp jig in

7/64" Allen wrenches(to change out the guide bushings as you progress through the three stages of milling)

#2 Phillips to assemble jig.

I use compressed air after each pass to blow off all shavings, I use wd40 for each cutting pass, just spray entire cutting pocket. I also only cut 1/3-1/2 of their recommended depth per cut(that's just me thinking I'll prolong end mill life). I use little to know pressure when cutting with the mill, and I'm only holding the base plate, never top of router.

When installing router adapter to router base, have the readymill installed on router, slide router base on router and adjust readymill down far enough so the when you set the router adapter on, the bearing in the adapter slides over the ready mill shaft so the it centers the adapter for you, then install screws and tighten(use screws that come with adapter and save screws you removed from router base.

It's best to drill initial pilot hole, and saftey selector hole vertically. But for me, without a drill press, I drill the trigger and hammer holes horizontally. I tried vertically but would break the drill bit.. I'd buy a couple spare 5/32" bits at your favorite local hardware store.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Sounds like basic stuff I already have. I have a vise, no drill press but was just planning to use a cordless.

I also have a electric hammer drill, I wonder if that would be too much.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:37:36 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with the 5D Tactical Jig based off of DaveP1 and PursuitSS experiences/recommendations.

It was a good recommendation.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have both.

The pro allows use of the Ready Mill bit, and can attach a vacuum.

I did 2 dozen lowers with the non-pro model last year.

My next batch of lowers comes in Monday, then I will try out the Pro.
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 2:55:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I have both.

The pro allows use of the Ready Mill bit, and can attach a vacuum.

I did 2 dozen lowers with the non-pro model last year.

My next batch of lowers comes in Monday, then I will try out the Pro.
View Quote
If I went with the basic one, what would I use instead of the ready mill bit ? Just off the shelf router bits ?
Link Posted: 12/21/2018 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

If I went with the basic one, what would I use instead of the ready mill bit ? Just off the shelf router bits ?
View Quote
Yes they separately sell the regular bit. Watch the EE, I will be selling one of my standard 5d jigs as soon as I take pix.
Link Posted: 1/8/2019 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#24]
I did buy the 5D tactical pro jig, and a Makita router.
What is the best video or instructions to get more knowledge before I try on a lower. I'd rather not ruin a lower or two in practice if I can help it. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 11:03:49 AM EDT
[#25]
The only video I watch was 5d tactical's video. Watched it one time, then dove in. I've never had a bad lower.

Just make sure the jig is assembled secure, but don't crank down the screws. When you need to swap out the guide pins in the router base plate, I removed the screws and used an Allen wrenches to gently rock the guide out(they fit snug). Just insert enough to catch the lip inside near the threads, push one way, then the other. Don't grab them with pliers of any kind.

I'd also cut at shallowers depth cuts than what they have measured out until you get the hang of it. I still cut shallower, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 7:52:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The only video I watch was 5d tactical's video. Watched it one time, then dove in. I've never had a bad lower.

Just make sure the jig is assembled secure, but don't crank down the screws. When you need to swap out the guide pins in the router base plate, I removed the screws and used an Allen wrenches to gently rock the guide out(they fit snug). Just insert enough to catch the lip inside near the threads, push one way, then the other. Don't grab them with pliers of any kind.

I'd also cut at shallowers depth cuts than what they have measured out until you get the hang of it. I still cut shallower, but that's just me.
View Quote
What video is that ? Do you have a link ? There is one on their website, that was removed from youtube for violating their terms of service. Guessing that is the one.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:38:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I'll be the contrarian here. I've only used 80%arms for their jigs and their lowers. I've seen over 10 made on the easy jig... ar15 and large frame 308s. The last one I milled was a billet cerakoted lower with a custom serial. 5D doesn't offer cerakote unless I'm mistaken. And I don't understand why 5D makes you mill out the takedown pin pocket. 80%A does not and the jig allows you to leave a wall up between the pockets which I like.

Been interested in trying out lower offerings from righttobear.com because of their custom laser etchings. Pretty cool stuff
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 7:14:13 AM EDT
[#28]
I have the 80% Arms Easy Jig. It works great and no problems.

Router with a vac attachment. I could do a lower on the wife's kitchen counter, no mess.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:53:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What video is that ? Do you have a link ? There is one on their website, that was removed from youtube for violating their terms of service. Guessing that is the one.
View Quote
Try here, it just worked for me

https://www.ceratac.com/5D-Tactical-Router-Jig-Pro-p/5d-jig15.htm

Scroll down for video
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:58:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'll be the contrarian here. I've only used 80%arms for their jigs and their lowers. I've seen over 10 made on the easy jig... ar15 and large frame 308s. The last one I milled was a billet cerakoted lower with a custom serial. 5D doesn't offer cerakote unless I'm mistaken. And I don't understand why 5D makes you mill out the takedown pin pocket. 80%A does not and the jig allows you to leave a wall up between the pockets which I like.
https://imgur.com/r7dh75M.jpg

Been interested in trying out lower offerings from righttobear.com because of their custom laser etchings. Pretty cool stuff
View Quote
I use the 5D jig, I've never used their lowers. You know you can use any lower with your jig right? well, the 5D jig and AR15 and AR9 anyways. AR308 lowers are apparently a bit different. The jig adapter on 5d's site work with all AR308 lowers except the AR10A/SR762 lowers. But they make and sell an adapter for those lowers through Ceratac.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 12:47:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:00:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Very upset and disappointed. I tried to go very slow and cautious but the router jumped and the ready mill bit is ruined. So far a lot of money and time spent for nothing.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#33]
Can you use an off the shelf router bits for that set up or will only the ready mill work ? I hate to spend another $50 and have it break again.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:06:48 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m in for router jigs vs jigs for vertical mills or other methods
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:33:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Is that lower ruined too ? If I buy another ready mill I think I'd be afraid to mess with that one again as easy as the ready mill breaks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#36]
How did your router jump? I've done several and never felt so much as a popcorn fart.

Are you holding the router, or the base? I hold the base, both hands, gliding around in clockwise circles.

IDK if you could use a standard end mill as you'll notice that ready Mill's base fits the bearing in the base plate.

I suppose you could remove that bearing to give room for collet, but it probably wouldn't be near as stable during deep cuts.

I'm looking at you lower and I'm not seeing any cutting fluid. Looks rough.

What do you have the jig clamped in? I see the marks up on top by bolt catch, and gouge down by selector.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:49:07 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
How did your router jump? I've done several and never felt so much as a popcorn fart.

Are you holding the router, or the base? I hold the base, both hands, gliding around in clockwise circles.

IDK if you could use a standard end mill as you'll notice that ready Mill's base fits the bearing in the base plate.

I suppose you could remove that bearing to give room for collet, but it probably wouldn't be near as stable during deep cuts.

View Quote
I used WD40.

How often should I spray it ?

I am not really sure how it jumped.

I was holding the router.

I went tediously slow setting it up and reading the instructions, watched the video. So I disappointed it turned out so bad.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:54:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

What do you have the jig clamped in? I see the marks up on top by bolt catch, and gouge down by selector.
View Quote
The jig is in a vise, absolutely solid. The jig is solid, it isn't moving. Any problem is based on the moving parts, the router side of things.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 6:57:32 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Whole lotta WOW going on here.

I'm going with way to deep settings and lack of clamping force on the router's depth adjustment.

Left side above safety, deep side cut?

Individual passes not lining up with the next, you can see the layers.

That depth of grab in the starting hole, wow

This isn't an issue with the jig.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Whole lotta WOW going on here.

I'm going with way to deep settings and lack of clamping force on the router's depth adjustment.

Left side above safety, deep side cut?

Individual passes not lining up with the next, you can see the layers.

That depth of grab in the starting hole, wow

This isn't an issue with the jig.
View Quote
It is possible that I accidentally set it an extra notch. I am not sure but I suspect its probably what happened.

I don't think there is a lack of clamping force on the depth adjustment.

Also from the photo, does it appear the router plate is installed correctly on the router ?

I am not sure, it appears to be as good as it gets but I was not comfortable with it. I don't think that has anything to do with the problem, but I want to ensure I had it right as well.

It should be secured by four screws, but they will only line up for two.I don't understand why, the Makita is the #2 recommend router.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:38:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Hold the base, not the router, keeps you from rocking it, keeps more stabilization.

Load pocket with wd40, last long enough to finish one pass. Blow out lower, jig plate, base plate in between ever cut so you are not setting base on jig with debris in between.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#43]
There are other bits that will work in the mount for the router bit, another guy found some on Ebay.

I am confused, it looks as if a combination of speed, depth and not holding firm caused it to jump.  I do know the combination works, but it also takes a feel to get the hang of it, high speed, to deep and to fast will cause what happened to you.

Rick, I am sure that lower can be salvaged, but you are going to need to get a new bit for it., you have to heat the holder, pull the old bit and heat and install the new bit..

If I knew where you were in WY I could probably be talked into giving you a hand at learning this process, don't get discouraged, it takes a bit of learning to do this.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 7:47:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Those screws holding you base to router do not look like included screws.

They look counter sunk, which will throw it off.

To center base, install ready mill and set base on router an adjust to near maximum depth so that the collar on the ready mill bit is extending into the bearing in the base plate. This centers tell base plate, then just eyeball for square and snug up the 4 screws(pan head screws)
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:01:03 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Hold the base, not the router, keeps you from rocking it, keeps more stabilization.

Load pocket with wd40, last long enough to finish one pass. Blow out lower, jig plate, base plate in between ever cut so you are not setting base on jig with debris in between.
View Quote
What do you by pocket? The drill hole? The whole area, it will run down the side. I had been spraying the whole thing down. But it doesn't last. Repeat as needed I guess I'll use more next time.
I had been vacuuming it out, as well pretty regular.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Those screws holding you base to router do not look like included screws.

They look counter sunk, which will throw it off.

To center base, install ready mill and set base on router an adjust to near maximum depth so that the collar on the ready mill bit is extending into the bearing in the base plate. This centers tell base plate, then just eyeball for square and snug up the 4 screws(pan head screws)
View Quote
How? There is no way to mount it like that on the makita router, there is no way to mount 4 screws and the included ones from 5d are too short.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

How? There is no way to mount it like that on the makita router, there is no way to mount 4 screws and the included ones from 5d are too short.
View Quote
Oh, forgot you went with Makita instead of DeWalt. The included screws we're identical in length to the ones that were already on my DeWalt, they looked short but work fine for me. Your router must utilize that vertical adapter included in the kit

As for wd40, just a nice layer over entire bottom, yes it will run down pilot hole, but I always had plenty in pocket when done with a pass.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:08:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
There are other bits that will work in the mount for the router bit, another guy found some on Ebay.

I am confused, it looks as if a combination of speed, depth and not holding firm caused it to jump.  I do know the combination works, but it also takes a feel to get the hang of it, high speed, to deep and to fast will cause what happened to you.

Rick, I am sure that lower can be salvaged, but you are going to need to get a new bit for it., you have to heat the holder, pull the old bit and heat and install the new bit..

If I knew where you were in WY I could probably be talked into giving you a hand at learning this process, don't get discouraged, it takes a bit of learning to do this.
View Quote
Pm sent.

I don't mind investing some time, but I don't want throw away too much money. I probably just wasted 100 bucks between the lower and ready mill this afternoon. But I'll order another I guess,  not going to give up yet.

My main concern is mounting the router plate to router,  something seems off. The included screw are too short.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:55:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top