Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2020 7:06:44 PM EDT
Hello!

I feel the need to step into the AR game for a few reasons.  I don't own tons of guns, but i do have several hand guns (Sig's) and a couple shotguns.  Mostly just have them to go shooting and because I've just grown up around guns.  I never got into rifles though.  I know pretty much nothing about them, but have always enjoyed shooting my friends guns.  I just never asked questions or inquired what brand or anything like that.  I think it's time to step up and learn.  

I'd like to buy my first AR and have talked to a few of my friends who are into rifles and know much more than me.  The problem is every single one of them are so far into it they are recommending all this builds and thousands of dollars in guns which is not something I'm ready to do.  When i ask them about the $1000-$1200 options they just lose interest.  One of my buddies was willing to talk a bit more and he directed me here, so here I am.  

I have binge watched YouTube videos for the last couple days and really enjoy hickok45 and Honest Outlaw but I can't really ask them questions.  

So, any help would be appreciated.  This will be mostly for shooting at the range and for home protection if ever needed.  I'd like to get a scope and a light on it for now, but other than that, I don't know of anything needed.  So if anyone could point me in the right direction for brands to look at and options for good scopes and attachable lights, I'd be grateful.  

Very cool board you all have here, I'm looking forward to reading a lot more.  

Cheers!

Patrick
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:23:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, there are a few different options for more “budget” builds. (Which is all I do BTW) For a beginner not knowing for sure what specs you want, I’d recommend a PSA rifle of your choice. For optics other than red dot sights, Primary Arms is my favorite. They have variable and fixed scopes and they’ve been durable so far. You should be able to get into a rifle and optic for under $1000 like that, if you can find parts in stock.

ETA: And welcome to the zoo!
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Disregard.  Reread OP.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#3]
You can start there, very easily.  Most of us recommend putting some cash into a rifle, but it's only because we started at the bottom and found out what we're paying for.  That said, I'd suggest you start with a M&P Sport, a Ruger, or a PSA bastard.  When you're looking at $1200, you can be into (or nearly to) a BCM, Sionics, or SOLGW.  

It's probably worth starting low, unless you already know what you want.  Flip side to that is that the cheap stuff holds no value, whereas the better stuff does.  I suggest starting low due to the fact that I normally don't sell my guns off - if you're not opposed to selling them, then start at a higher point (I sold off a couple right after college, always regretted it...).

If you can still find a Colt, they're good, but not sure what sales are like since they're not selling to the civilian market anymore.  Although, I also knew a lot of guys that had feeding problems with them, and my problem children while I was in the Army were Colts.  

Start with defining what you want.  There's a lot of whiz-bang garbage out there.  And, I would suggest staying off of YouTube.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 7:47:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Start with a $1,000 budget and you could go with something like an M&P15 for $599
Attachment Attached File

add a sig Romeo 5 red dot for $139
Attachment Attached File

That would leave you a few bucks for a streamlight for $140
Attachment Attached File

That would still leave enough money to buy some mags and ammo and a solid rig to outshoot all of your buddies
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Check out S&W As others have said, they now come with ether a red dot or a grip with a light, $600 to $700 range.
Link Posted: 4/14/2020 8:28:39 PM EDT
[#6]
S&w m&p15 sport 2, red dot (sig, vortex, primary arms, holosun), BFG vickers “one” sling, streamlight hlx.

The reason why we are all answering very similarly should tell you what you need to know.

If you wait for sales and use coupon codes, a lot of this stuff can be had super cheap.

That rifle with those accessories will do 80% of everything you’d ever need it to.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 2:30:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I started with a Ruger MPR. But their other models, railed or not are good as well. Same with the mentioned M&P15. Throw in a Sig Romeo5, or Primary Arms red dot or scope.

Buy mags and ammo. Can never have too many mags, or too much ammo. I only have 8 mags and 2 ARs right now
Need more for the home defence/shtf rifle
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 7:34:42 AM EDT
[#8]
One of the most common things I see is folks spending good money on a rifle and then spending more to swap out furniture, etc.

I would recommend looking at a complete PSA lower with whatever style stock you like.  If you can, the EPT trigger group is a decent $20 or so upgrade. $125-300, plus your local FFL fees.

Once you have a lower, it is time to go find the upper you want.  Tons of vendors offer complete uppers, from $250ish and up.  Check them all.  Check PSA, Primary Arms, Aim Surplus, etc. and more.  You'll find an upper that is what you want.  Order it, put the halves together and you are done.

Once you have a basic rifle, then magazines and ammo, and possibly a trigger upgrade and/or optics.

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 11:17:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Wow thank you all for the feedback!  This is some good stuff!  Loving this page so far...

Please keep your input coming, for me I can never have too much information about a subject I like.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 1:06:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Everything said above is spot on. My first AR was an Olympic Plinker, I will say it is no longer in my collection due to a divorce and it was cheap. I purchased a Ruger SR-556 later on and since then have built a SBR (short barreled rifle) that is suppressed. I am currently building two more, one being a 16" for my son and a 20" for myself. I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 and love it. While going to a 5.56 right out of the gate is a starting point I strongly recommend a 22LR as they are cheaper to shoot and will get you used to the platform.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 3:52:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Some great suggestions here. Good to see so many M&P suggestions. It was my first and still goes to the range with me along with several others. You can't go wrong with the M&P and as you shoot it, you start thinking about your next one. Having a factory rifle is a great blueprint for when you decided to assemble your next to your own spec.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Some great suggestions here. Good to see so many M&P suggestions. It was my first and still goes to the range with me along with several others. You can't go wrong with the M&P and as you shoot it, you start thinking about your next one. Having a factory rifle is a great blueprint for when you decided to assemble your next to your own spec.
View Quote

Not that it makes any difference but like the idea of having one factory rifle among many builds
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:06:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Palmetto State Armory used to be the cheapest option for a good starter rifle. Like, $400 for the finished rifle. COVID has them so slammed, their inventory is constantly OOS. S&W, Ruger, Springfield Armory, etc. are other names to look at, all in the $500-800 range.

If you’re looking for reading, Pew Pew Tactical has great articles on ARs.

If you’ve got a $1,200 budget, I would try to spread it out over the full list of parts you need. As others have said, the full package is:
-Rifle ($400-800)
-Iron sights ($80-150)
-Red dot ($100-200)
-Light (~$100)
-Mags ($50-100)
-Sling ($30-75)
-Ammo (As much $$$ as you can afford)

If you do a full budget build, you can comfortably hit all of those under your $1,200 limit, including your first case of ammo.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:11:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Something no one has mentioned yet:  STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM POLYMER RECEIVERS!!!

Do it.  You can mess with it later.  Ground-up designs utilizing polymer can be good.  But polymers are not the same as forged aluminum.  I ran across an article for "duty" AR-15's, and one of the recommendations was for the Carbon-15.  Alright, smoke-blowers.
Link Posted: 4/15/2020 8:12:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Spikes Tactical has a couple around your budget.

If you're only going to have one do all rifle you might want to spend a little more than PSA.

Their premium line is good, but their Premium stuff looks to remain out of stock currently.

Link Posted: 4/15/2020 9:16:27 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are partial to Sig’s products they have what you need for your budget:

Sig Sauer M400 = $799

Sig Sauer Romeo 5 RDS = $149

Sig Sauer Flip-up Sights = $129

Streamlight WML = $119

Total just under $1,200

Or skip the WML for now and buy a half dozen Magpul Gen 2 magazines and a few hundred rounds of ammo...
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:13:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Welcome fellow Michigander.

You've already received some good advice. I'd like to know, when you say you'd like a 'scope', what are you imagining on your AR?

Also, what are you generally attracted to when you've looked around. Aesthetics aren't everything, but it might help pare down the selection.

I'd like to know if you say you have a certain budget if that budget needs to include magazines and possibly a little ammunition, as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Pardon, if it was said, but is $1,200 you’re all in, ammo, mags and everything?  If so I’d look for deals from PSA, Palmetto State Armory, and get something fairly inexpensive, an upper and lower, to leave room for mags and ammo.  As said before if you get a complete upper and lower you just slap them together.   Most of your shopping could be done in one place.  

If you’ve got a little more set aside for ammo and mags I’d look at a Larue Ultimate AR Upper.  https://www.larue.com/products/larue-ultimate-ar-15-upper-kit/   Gisselle IIRC entered into the the ‘really nice rifle for a great price’ arena recently as well.  https://geissele.com/rifles/super-duty-rifles.html, check their uppers out, although they take 4 weeks for deliver, per the website.  Thought they had a cheaper 5.55 offering, maybe it was the upper or they did a better deal when they rolled them out?  Either way both are great products.  

Check out the build it yourself and the reviews, not in GD (General Discussion), instead of surfing YouTube.  Find what you think you like and go for it.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:20:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you are partial to Sig’s products they have what you need for your budget:

Sig Sauer M400 = $799

Sig Sauer Romeo 5 RDS = $149

Sig Sauer Flip-up Sights = $129

Streamlight WML = $119

Total just under $1,200

Or skip the WML for now and buy a half dozen Magpul Gen 2 magazines and a few hundred rounds of ammo...
View Quote

I like the SIG rifles. I've handled a few and shot fewer, but they have always felt top-notch. For what they want for them, though, they should come with sights, IMHO. It doesn't take much to toss a pair of MBUS into a package these days, ya know?

ETA: I do appreciate their enhanced lowers for the money, though. It would cost more to upgrade a standard lower to the same level ambidexterity than it would to buy BUIS (back-up iron sights).

I'm also not a fan of Joe Bob's Outfitters after my last experience with their customer service. Very disappointing. But that's just me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:28:33 AM EDT
[#20]
I asked this question only a couple years ago on this forum.  I ended up with a MK18 DD upper on an Aero lower.  I'm glad I just bought everything and assembled it if for no other reason than the experience.  

I didn't own a single gun when I registered
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:31:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Where are we at with Rock River Arms?  When I first got interested in AR's RRA was pretty good overall quality.  Their basic carbine is under $800.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I tell every customer that is new to AR's to handle every AR they can.
What do you like on this one compared to that one?
Does it feel comfortable when you shoulder it?
Decide what barrel length and weight, hand guard or rail, which grip,
which stock, which muzzle device, etc, before you buy.
In the end you will still replace items at some point,  it will be less money spent.

For a first time buyer I agree with someone's earlier suggestion and
go with Palmetto States. They quality is OK and prices are hard to beat.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Welcome fellow Michigander.

You've already received some good advice. I'd like to know, when you say you'd like a 'scope', what are you imagining on your AR?

Also, what are you generally attracted to when you've looked around. Aesthetics aren't everything, but it might help pare down the selection.

I'd like to know if you say you have a certain budget if that budget needs to include magazines and possibly a little ammunition, as well.
View Quote

For my first one, I think $1200 would be all in at this point.  I've just started looking around online mostly.  Unfortunately due to the pandemic, all big gun stores are closed around here as far as I know.  I'm in Macomb County, where are you?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:32:06 PM EDT
[#24]
My first AR was a smith and Wesson MP15. It did exactly what I needed it to do, at a good price. Hell, I overpaid (700) for mine.

I have also built about a dozen PSA rifles. All good.

I’ve since moved in to getting a Daniel Defense and my first KAC. I sold off a bunch of cheap builds, but kept a mp15.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 9:43:09 PM EDT
[#25]
I’m new to the AR-15 platform.  I recently received a “discount” on a Franklin Armory BFSIII M4 with their binary trigger for $880.00.

Is this a good deal?  I know Franklin Armory is fairly new but I have not seen any reviews for this model I’m looking at but I have heard good things about Franklin Armory.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

For my first one, I think $1200 would be all in at this point.  I've just started looking around online mostly.  Unfortunately due to the pandemic, all big gun stores are closed around here as far as I know.  I'm in Macomb County, where are you?
View Quote

Kalamazoo County, here.

Primary Arms has the Springfield Armory NATO Saint for $750. Another 150 should net you a Vortex Crossfire II from PSA. Grab a Streamlight weapon light, a couple extra mags, and boom - you're all set.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 12:55:32 AM EDT
[#27]
Smith and Wesson m&p sport 2.

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 8:25:06 AM EDT
[#28]
You could also do what I did for my first: purchase a solid upper and assemble your own lower. It's not difficult and I did my first with a pair of vise grips, which most people already have. Now, I'd still recommend a couple quality punches and a solid working surface/mount/vise, but it can be done.

If you buy a good PSA upper, or look around and buy a gently used good one from the EE (equipment exchange) here, you could probably get that for ~$500. You should be able to buy a decent stripped lower and parts kit for another $100. Then it's just a receiver extension and stock of your choice which again, good deals can be had in the EE. We're always buying, selling, swapping, and building here

Something to think about.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#29]
What size barrel to most people go with?  it keeps pointing me to 16 or 18 inch
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#30]
Seems like this is a decent deal through M&P and comes with a few things mentioned above.  

Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:47:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Seems like this is a decent deal through M&P and comes with a few things mentioned above.  

https://postimg.cc/qhVtcJ7n

View Quote

Yes, that's a good deal to get you started-off with a factory rifle. The foregrip/light thing will get you by until you can upgrade them, and you can sell it here for a couple bucks toward the upgrade, probably. Don't forget if you don't find one locally that you'll have to factor shipping and transfer fees (plus Michigan's lovely +6%).

As far as the barrel, 16" is the best do-all length in my opinion. If I could have only one AR, it'd either be a 16", or 14.5 pinned and welded to 16". Yes, the cartridge does best with a longer barrel, but 16" is a good compromise between effective and handy.
Link Posted: 4/17/2020 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

https://postimg.cc/qhVtcJ7n

View Quote

Just got an email from Sportsman's Outdoor Superstore. This same rifle is available for $599, shipped (though they charge sales tax). That price also gets you EITHER a red dot or a gun case:

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/category.cfm/sportsman/firearms/combos/633?utm_source=041720&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=041720

HOWEVER, before you get excited.  I ordered a Ruger MPR from them on 3/31. They warn on their website that it could take 15 business days (3 weeks) or more to ship.  That didn't bother me.  After I ordered, I read a bunch of terrible reviews about the store, including some about used handguns being sold as new.  I thought about cancelling, but no one else has that rifle at a decent price in this panic, so I decided to wait.  The good news is the rifle shipped yesterday, and should be here Monday.  So setting the store aside, the S&W is a respected factory rifle with a warranty (like the Ruger), and that price is one of the lowest I've seen in the 90 days I've been shopping (since pre-freakout).
Link Posted: 4/18/2020 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Absolutely nothing wrong with starting with a budget rifle. Find one with a free float hand guard, find an optic, shoot it then figure out what you want to upgrade once you put some time behind it. Have fun with it.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:58:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Hey Patrick, This is at the upper end of your budget, but I'd probably try to find a used or overstock Colt 6920 or similar and plan to add any accessories later as your pocket allows.  The 6920 comes with iron sights installed, so you have everything needed to get started with a solid and reliable platform that can easily be modified and expanded as your skill set improves and you have a better idea of what you would like to add to enhance your shooting style. Building an AR may seem much cheaper, but you have to account for the cost of the tools needed, so it would probably balance out in the long run.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:02:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Welcome.   I jumped into the AR space like you last August.   I went with a Colt 6920 Magpul furniture version ($959), a Burris 332 & Red Dot Combo ($249), a VTAC sling ($49), Magpul paraclip / rail section/ light mount ($100), Millcomm grease / oil / cleaning kit ($100), 5 Magpul Gen 3 mags ($75), a case complete hard case ($175), 500 rounds 556 55gr Federal (with a free 200 lumin tactical light) and 250 rounds of 556 of 75gr Frontier Hornady.  The M&P was on my short list and I read a lot here about buying a complete rifle first time and own a Colt pistol hand me down from my Father so went for the Colt 6920 and decided on the Magpul factory version as I liked their furniture anyways.   Didn't expect Colt to stop sales to the public, but hear you can still find them here and there.  I am into for a little more than you wanted to spend but the all in cost w lube, ammo and everything else adds up.    This site is a great resource, a lot of great people and information to find.  Good luck and be safe.
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Places are opened here, some may not seem opened but they're opened....the governor hasn't shut any of then down yet. If you buying your first dont cheap out it could also be your last, not talking doomsday or anything like that but it takes a while to get up the money for something else sometimes. Spend up for your first then cheap out something just to play with if you want. Get something thats going to be quality, run and that you can trust your life with.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 12:59:09 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Places are opened here, some may not seem opened but they're opened....the governor hasn't shut any of then down yet. If you buying your first dont cheap out it could also be your last, not talking doomsday or anything like that but it takes a while to get up the money for something else sometimes. Spend up for your first then cheap out something just to play with if you want. Get something thats going to be quality, run and that you can trust your life with.
View Quote

Agree 100%.   Get a keeper out of the gate and add to it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 9:15:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Buy a high end brand. .buy it used.  I suggest LMT.  I have several.  Get something flexible say mid length.. get a flat top.  Then add buis then optics.  Better to spend abit Nd get quality than crap.

I suggest 1:7 or 1:8 twist barrel

I havent posted in AR tech forum in like ten years!!

Good luck OP
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 5:13:56 AM EDT
[#39]
I would expand your budget a bit more.  Save the green stamps and buy quality.  Especially if you are going to stay with the sport.  I started off with a Rock River Arms carbine.  Later, I bought a Bushmaster (Windham built) and that was bit better.  Sold the RRA and I still have the Bushy.  Don't go cheap with the optics and have enough in your budget for magazines and LOTS of ammo.  Enjoy and be safe.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#40]
You're going to get a lot of opinions.  I started with a PSA M4 type upper and bought a stripped lower and built that up.  Later I decided I wanted a longer free float rail, so I took the front sight off the upper and ground it down to make a low profile gas block and put it back on.  My collection has grown since then.

I think there are a few decision branch points:

1.  Are you willing to assemble parts?  The  lower is very easy to assemble.  You can follow along a youtube video.  I assembled my lower for my first rifle and it was easy.  If you don't want to assemble anything, you're looking at a complete rifle and the S&W that was mentioned earlier is a great option.  Uppers aren't too difficult to assemble, but they require a little more in the way of tools.  I've assembled several uppers.  For a first rifle I'd suggest getting an assembled upper.  It's one less thing to worry about.  But assembling a lower is nothing to worry about.

2.  Value (quality divided by price).  Only you can decide the value.  Some people want/need something that is the highest quality regardless of price.  Other people want the cheapest way to get in the game.  Others try to find that sweet spot. Here are a couple options

The LaRue upper that was mentioned.  You'd have to comfirm, but it looks like it's got everything except a stripped lower.  It's a great upper.  I don't' have one, but I'd like to.  $792

This from PSA.  Add a stripped lower.  $519

You can get a stripped Anderson lower (lots of opinions on the quality of Anderson lowers) plus 3 Pmags from Kentucky Gun Co for $67.  With a transfer, that's probably in the $100 range.

At this point you're looking at $620 for the PSA to 900 for the LaRue.

Add a red dot for $150, and now you're set except for ammo and at 770-1050.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 1:48:32 AM EDT
[#41]
Hi from California. I too am a newbie to the AR world. I have some experience with pistols but just bought a stripped lower for an AR 15 build on recommendation from a friend. I have no idea what I am getting into but have started the research into the remaining components I need.

My question is when ordering a complete upper assembly, most online retailers and listings show that it includes a flash hider. These are not allowed in the state of California. Am I limited to building only with individual parts compliant to CA law? Does it rule out being able to buy a complete upper?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Hi from California. I too am a newbie to the AR world. I have some experience with pistols but just bought a stripped lower for an AR 15 build on recommendation from a friend. I have no idea what I am getting into but have started the research into the remaining components I need.

My question is when ordering a complete upper assembly, most online retailers and listings show that it includes a flash hider. These are not allowed in the state of California. Am I limited to building only with individual parts compliant to CA law? Does it rule out being able to buy a complete upper?

Thanks
View Quote

This thread in the Hometown forum has some good info and this article and the others at Pew Pew Tactical would be a good start.

The one featureless AR I think is the coolest is the Fightlite SCR, but at $1,200 it’s a bit spendy.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:30:19 PM EDT
[#43]
I also recently got into the AR world. I ended up with an Aero lower, PSA enhanced parts kit, and complete Aero upper.

I would recommend this method - assembling the lower myself taught me a lot about how the AR functions and it was great to get familiar with each piece. The upper is easy enough to understand what's going on and I just slapped it on the lower. I think I got better quality than I would have from PSA without breaking the budget. I added a vortex crossfire (since I'm using mine to do some hog hunting) and it's a solid rig.

Don't think you can go wrong with buying a complete one as many have suggested, but you lose some of the experience of building it together. Of course, that may not be important to you, and there's nothing wrong with that. Good luck!
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top