Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/3/2024 9:28:03 AM EDT
Hi all 1st time being here. I have a question about my 458 socom
I have a multi caliber lower, is this only for the 458 , or can I change my upper and barrel for another caliber?
thank you
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:42:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Scotts2187:
Hi all 1st time being here. I have a question about my 458 socom
I have a multi caliber lower, is this only for the 458 , or can I change my upper and barrel for another caliber?
thank you
View Quote

You just want to pop the top and pin another upper onto that lower?  No problem.  Even if it said 5.56 you could do that.  Caliber markings on a lower are just that, markings.  

What are you thinking of adding, 5.56, or something else?  As mentioned, check the buffer to see if it is compatible.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:01:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Big-Bore] [#4]
If you have a quality .458 SOCOM upper then you are using a standard buffer and spring anyway, either rifle or CAR, and the blending on the feed ramp is done on the upper, not the lower.  So, if you have an any caliber upper that you want to swap the .458 SOCOM upper with, have at it.  The .458S was designed from the ground up to be a field changeable upper with the 5.56 without the need to change mags, buffers, or springs.  All you do is pop on the upper, insert the magazine with the appropriate cartridges loaded into it, and rock and roll.

Legally, as already said, caliber markings on the lower mean nothing.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 4:32:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Big-Bore:
Legally, as already said, caliber markings on the lower mean nothing.
View Quote

Tromix received approval from ATF 25 years ago to eliminate the caliber markings from the lower altogether.
The caliber should be on the barrel anyway, just like a bolt gun.
I'm surprised manufacturers are still putting the caliber/multi on lowers today.  It's been long overdue, getting rid of that practice.

Tony

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top