Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2018 6:36:15 PM EDT
I was thinking about putting a compact stock on one of my SBR's and I think I've narrowed it down to the Magpul SL-K or the LWRC Compact (not the ultra-compact).  Has anyone used both by chance?  Any reason to go with one over the other?  The SL-K is cheaper, but lacks the built in QD found on the LWRC.  Any other stocks I should consider?  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 6:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have both and prefer the LWRC. The SL-K is fine, but I prefer the Compact stock because it's jist a hair better all around. Better cheek weld, QD mount, etc. It's also a tiny bit bigger than the SL-K, but small stocks don't really bother me since I really like the old N1/CAR stocks. The LWRC reminds me of a modern/updated CAR stock. In the end, they're both excellent little stocks and both are inexpensive, so pick whichever you like the features and looks of better.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 6:41:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Ive got both. Identical in weight but the LWRC has a bit more cheekweld and a built in QD spot in addition to the traditional sling loop.

I have 3 rifles with an LWRC stock. SL-k will probably be sold.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#3]
That's two votes for the LWRC from guys that own both.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I was already leaning toward the LWRC so that is good to hear.  How snug are they on your buffer tubes?
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, I was already leaning toward the LWRC so that is good to hear.  How snug are they on your buffer tubes?
View Quote
The two LWRC's that I have are pretty loose on my LMT tubes, if I'm being completely honest. Then again, I just compared it to the SL-K and they're about the same.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
LWRC is more comfortable, but I found it is a little looser on the tube. The Magpul is tight AF.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know how or why all these stocks exist. Colt got it right the first time

Link Posted: 5/22/2018 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't know how or why all these stocks exist. Colt got it right the first time

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d162/Pat_Sajac/Weapons/Stocks/colt.jpg
View Quote
So much this.  Tried em all and keep coming back to this little bastard.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:01:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I have several UCIW's I'm very happy with. I would probably go LWRC.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
You know I agree with that. Those are comfortable, especially when wearing a plate carrier. What is the best way to snug them up? I have used tape, but I am sure there are other tricks.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a couple of these and I like them for the most part.  They are perfect for a KISS rifle.  To me the LWRC actually looks like a modernized version of the Colt stock, as mentioned above.  For this particular SBR I'm looking for something light and compact, with a rubber pad to keep from sliding on my PC, a built in QD, and an angled toe, so LWRC seems to fit the bill.  LWRC should offer a bit better cheek weld as well.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
I said this earlier. Excellent stock.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 9:48:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the MVB Industries ARC-X PDW stock.  It's the shortest (collapsed length) stock on the market that I am aware of that allows the usage of a mil-spec bolt carrier.

It might be right for you.

I have to say it is extremely well engineered and sturdy.  Not amazingly lightweight, though.  There are always tradeoffs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#14]
The LWRC compact stock is the love child of a SOPMOD and a Colt N1stock.

The MagPul stock works well and is simplistic, but the QD and side flares of the LWRC makes it for me.

The MagPul SL-K stock body sits in a parts bin since I’ve discovered the LWRC compact.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I haven't weighed them, but it looks and feels like the magpul would be heavier. It appears to have a lot more plastic, plus a rubber butt pad that adds length and weight. I don't own a lwrc, but I own the sl-k and car.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Suprisingly......

Link Posted: 5/23/2018 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm pretty sure not having the QD socket on the SL-K can be remedied by adding a bolt on one from IWC. I believe there was a SL-K with this setup in the EE a couple weeks ago.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#18]
LWRC compact stock sells for $61 new......however, the three I have have been bought used at about $50 each

The MagPul SL-K sells for $39.99 with a QD adapter it raises the price to $67.54

Shipping or tax was not taken into account.

So, when afdding the QD socket, pricing is close. Weight is close. The cheek weld area is close.

Guess it comes down to preferred brand or style.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I went ahead and ordered the LWRC, looking forward to trying it out.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Just thought of an advantage the SL-K has over the LWRC.
If one shoots from a bench, with a rear  bag supporting the LWRC stock, it could collapse like some have issues with using a SOPMOD.
The location of the lever would prevent this on the MagPul stock body.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:23:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
LWRC compact stock sells for $61 new......however, the three I have have been bought used at about $50 each

The MagPul SL-K sells for $39.99 with a QD adapter it raises the price to $67.54

So, when afdding the QD socket, pricing is close. Weight is close. The cheek weld area is close.

View Quote
Doesn't the LWRC come with its own buffer tube? I know mine did. The SL-K is just a stock, the LWRC is stock+ (shorter than normal) tube+spring/buffer - getting a bit more for your money there.

The LWRC stock I have is fantastic, mostly like it as I don't like the standard Magpul buttpad - it just doesn't work right for me.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:51:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 11:22:14 PM EDT
[#23]
The lwrc is on sale for $45 this weekend. No brainier at that price.

https://www.lwrci.com/p-336-lwrci-compact-adjustable-stock.aspx
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 12:41:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Doesn't the LWRC come with its own buffer tube? I know mine did. The SL-K is just a stock, the LWRC is stock+ (shorter than normal) tube+spring/buffer - getting a bit more for your money there.

The LWRC stock I have is fantastic, mostly like it as I don't like the standard Magpul buttpad - it just doesn't work right for me.
View Quote
No LWRC compact is just a stock, like a CTR. You are talking about the LWRC ULTRA compact, which is not being discussed here.
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 5:19:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How much does a car stock weigh? I'd bet it weighs less.
View Quote
A CAR stock weighs less than anything that is a full on stock, even modern lightweight stuff. Problem is it has such a short tail it slips out of the shoulder pocket easily, It has no QD, it has no butt pad, its rattle prone, poor cheek weld, and just makes for a poor buttstock. It weighs ~4.5 oz.

In the same weight category as the SL-K, but lighter, are the Rogers Super Stock and BCM gunfighter stock. I have both. Also have an Ultra Lightweight LWRC. They are all good. I like the Rogers the least, the LWRC and BCM equally.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:34:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No LWRC compact is just a stock, like a CTR. You are talking about the LWRC ULTRA compact, which is not being discussed here.
View Quote
Good catch, ignore what I said, mine is upon further inspection the UCIW.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 6:51:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You know I agree with that. Those are comfortable, especially when wearing a plate carrier. What is the best way to snug them up? I have used tape, but I am sure there are other tricks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, there are the fixed "entry length" stocks... looks like traditional A1/A2 fixed stock, but gives same LOP as the 6 position in its "all closed" position...
Link Posted: 6/1/2018 12:53:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love 'em, but no QD sling socket.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Woah- you guys don’t need that expensive IWC adapter... any $15 MLok compatible QD adapter will fit in the sling slot of the SL-k...

But I also like them both
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:40:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The two LWRC's that I have are pretty loose on my LMT tubes, if I'm being completely honest. Then again, I just compared it to the SL-K and they're about the same.
View Quote
i had this problem on my LMTs as well. a strip of painter's tape on the buffer tube at 2 and 10 o'clock will fix it though.
Link Posted: 7/29/2018 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
The LWRC compact stock is the love child of a SOPMOD and a Colt N1stock.

The MagPul stock works well and is simplistic, but the QD and side flares of the LWRC makes it for me.

The MagPul SL-K stock body sits in a parts bin since I’ve discovered the LWRC compact.
View Quote
I did just the opposite.  I initially bought the LWRC.  It is very good and admit the wide check pieces are comfortable, but I like the SL-K slightly better overall.  Slightly lighter, slightly smaller and a tighter fit on the tube.   Ended up trading off the Compact.

I would have kept it, but my example was very loose.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top