BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/18/2018 2:37:45 PM EDT
Earlier this week I received three new Colt Complete Upper "conversion kits" from Arms Unlimited (a vendor on ARFCOM).

The markings are:

Barrel: 13629 (Colt's cage code)
Charging Handle: 13629
Upper: 13629
Bolt: MPC
Bolt Carrier: nothing

Colt always marked their carriers with a "C" in the past.  I guess since they're using the cage code now ... it would be a lot to stamp or etch on the carrier.

The carriers are also PITCH BLACK.  In the past they ranged from light to very dark gray (almost black).  The carriers I just received are BLACK BLACK.

Had the uppers not come from AU I would have suspected foul play.

Anyway, just an FYI to anyone interested.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Earlier this week I received three new Colt Complete Upper "conversion kits" from Arms Unlimited (a vendor on ARFCOM).

The markings are:

Barrel: 13629 (Colt's cage code)
Charging Handle: 13629
Upper: 13629
Bolt Carrier: nothing

Colt always marked their carriers with a "C" in the past.  I guess since they're using the cage code now ... it would be a lot to stamp or etch on the carrier.

The carriers are also PITCH BLACK.  In the past they ranged from light to very dark gray (almost black).  The carriers I just received are BLACK BLACK.

Had the uppers not come from AU I would have suspected foul play.

Anyway, just an FYI to anyone interested.
View Quote
I would've messaged Arms Unlimited or maybe even Colt before spreading "I thinks"
There have been Colt carries that were not stamped. Color also varies from batch to batch just like anodization.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#3]
All three carriers were unmarked.   I googled it, and the resident Colt expert on TOS said:

"I don't think these carrier are any less quality. They just aren't marked with a C. I have pulled about a dozen of these from NIB factory guns and uppers in the past few months.

It is difficult trying to use these for sale or use them in customer builds; because I cannot convince the buyer the item is actually Colt due to the lack of marking."

His concern is mine as well.  Since Colt isn't consistently stamping carriers it becomes my word that it was delivered in the Colt Upper and indeed Colt from a reputable retailer.

TOS thread was started by someone who bought a "Colt" carrier from Brownells that was extremely black and didn't have a "C" on it (just like my carriers).  He asked if it was a genuine Colt product.  The consensus was "yes" especially considering the retailer.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would've messaged Arms Unlimited or maybe even Colt before spreading "I thinks"
There have been Colt carries that were not stamped. Color also varies from batch to batch just like anodization.
View Quote
You must of missed the part where I said "Had the uppers not come from AU I would have suspected foul play. "

But thank you for being the interwebs police.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
All three carriers were unmarked.   I googled it, and the resident Colt expert on TOS said:

"I don't think these carrier are any less quality. They just aren't marked with a C. I have pulled about a dozen of these from NIB factory guns and uppers in the past few months.

It is difficult trying to use these for sale or use them in customer builds; because I cannot convince the buyer the item is actually Colt due to the lack of marking."

His concern is mine as well.  Since Colt isn't consistently stamping carriers it becomes my word that it was delivered in the Colt Upper and indeed Colt from a reputable retailer.

TOS thread was started by someone who bought a "Colt" carrier from Brownells that was extremely black and didn't have a "C" on it (just like my carriers).  He asked if it was a genuine Colt product.  The consensus was "yes" especially considering the retailer.
View Quote
I know what you mean. The most you can affirmatively say is that it's all Colt with the only thing to prove being the MPC on the bolt.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:56:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 2:56:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's a pic taken from the referenced thread on TOS:

The two lower carriers are what I'm use to seeing from Colt.  The top is exactly like the three I just received.

Again, I'm not accusing anyone of anything.  I shot the one of the uppers yesterday.  Had I suspected foul play I would have not used the product.

Anyway, this thread was intended as a PSA (not Palmetto State Armory, haha, but a Public Service Announcement) for people to not freak out if they get a Colt part that isn't marked or marked differently.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:02:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I saw another thread in the last 12 hours with pics of somebody's recently purchased Colt's markings. There was a super faint "C" on the carrier if you zoomed in close enough.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:02:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:04:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah they aren’t marking them at the moment for whatever reason.  Supposedly a permanent thing but we shall see.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had a few extremely faint "C" marked carriers of late.  There is definitely no marking on the three that just arrived.  I've had them so faintly marked I had to use a magnifying glass at an angle to see them.  These aren't marked.

Generally speaking markings don't mean anything to me (this is why I sold my "Law Enforcement Carbine" 6920s and used the money to buy M4 Carbine 6920s at a lower price point).  HOWEVER, when buying a part or selling a part the marking does offer "peace of mind" to the buyer.  This is my only real issue with the unmarked carriers.  At some point in the future I'll sell the uppers, and the buyer will whine about the authenticity of the carrier (even tho I'll disclose the unmarked issue in the sale thread).
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
This is not the first time non-marked carriers have come up when talking about Colt, there were a bunch of them around in the 80's as well and I still see some of them pop up for sale, Colt has not always been the most consistent company over the years when it comes to marking parts.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:17:13 PM EDT
[#14]
I don’t like the cage code marked uppers
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:19:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I mounted the AU 6933 upper on my pistol lower, and produced these groups at 50 yards with Wolf Classic:

This is pretty good for me using an Aimpoint T-2 and LMT L8A rear / Colt FSB front.  I'm not in my 30's anymore ... eyesight isn't quite what it once was.

Somewhere in the 180rds I fired on the zero / simple drills I did have one case stick in the chamber.  It required a cleaning rod to beat it out.  That USGI section rod is now trashed (which is okay because I keep trashed rod sections in my range bag for this reason).
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:20:29 PM EDT
[#17]
The cage code marked uppers aren't attractive.

Colt could at least align the markings. I swear the 13629 is at an angle, LOL.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:25:18 PM EDT
[#18]
I wish we could get some Diemaco uppers.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I wish we could get some Diemaco uppers.
View Quote
I had one a long time ago.  A collector pestered me until I sold it to him.  The upper and carrier were marked Diemaco (their weird stylized marking).
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I like the CAGE marked uppers, wouldn't mind if I ended up with one. But first I still need another Colt BCG....hopefully I can find one with a C
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#22]
RE: carrier color:

Two types of parkerizing (I have done both):

- zinc, which is grey to dark grey, and

- manganese, which it typically flat black to the "black black" OP describes.

These new carriers appear to be manganese phosphate parkerized, using a different process or possibly a different steel.

The higher the carbon content of the steel, the more black the parkerizing tends to be.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 5:06:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Shark Arms Customs has a shit ton of Colt bcgs sans the C stamp. Chris is selling them as "blems" at under $100.
Hella deal. Bolts were MPC marked properly, just missed the carriers.
View Quote
never heard of them, link please as I'd pick one up at that price
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Let me know how that works out for you...you'll get your first Social Security check before you get someone on the horn at Colt.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 5:19:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Here's a pic taken from the referenced thread on TOS:

https://preview.ibb.co/gD0gO0/A2zv1O4.jpg

The two lower carriers are what I'm use to seeing from Colt.  The top is exactly like the three I just received.

Again, I'm not accusing anyone of anything.  I shot the one of the uppers yesterday.  Had I suspected foul play I would have not used the product.

Anyway, this thread was intended as a PSA (not Palmetto State Armory, haha, but a Public Service Announcement) for people to not freak out if they get a Colt part that isn't marked or marked differently.
View Quote
A thread called Colt isn’t making their own Carriers isn’t accusing anyone???
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 5:20:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A thread called Colt is making their own Carriers isn’t accusing anyone???
View Quote
He said marking, not making.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 5:35:35 PM EDT
[#28]
My BCG has the C so faint I can only see it with a flashlight.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:12:20 PM EDT
[#29]
I just got a new 6933-EPR upper from Arms Unlimited last week. Markings / lack thereof:

Upper receiver: Unmarked (square forge marking)
Barrel: Colt cage code
Bolt Carrier: I think it’s unmarked, another member here pointed out what appears like it may be an EXTREMELY faint C. I didn’t try looking for it to confirm either way yet.
Charging handle: ?... I think it was unmarked but I ripped it out so fast and put a Raptor-SL in that I can’t swear to it.

It’s running great so far so it seems like the end product Colt is spitting out is still fine.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:18:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I just got a new 6933-EPR upper from Arms Unlimited last week. Markings / lack thereof:

Upper receiver: Unmarked (square forge marking)
Barrel: Colt cage code
Bolt Carrier: I think it’s unmarked, another member here pointed out what appears like it may be an EXTREMELY faint C. I didn’t try looking for it to confirm either way yet.
Charging handle: ?... I think it was unmarked but I ripped it out so fast and put a Raptor-SL in that I can’t swear to it.

It’s running great so far so it seems like the end product Colt is spitting out is still fine.
View Quote
I was the one that pointed yours out. It’s there just look really hard.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:21:04 PM EDT
[#31]
My newest Colt is cage code and QR marked.  No "C" on carrier either.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ahhh, misread that clearly.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 6:25:46 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Let me know how that works out for you...you'll get your first Social Security check before you get someone on the horn at Colt.
View Quote
I've emailed Colt and called them bot with replies?
Ive also emailed Arms Unlimited about questions.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:26:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:28:48 PM EDT
[#36]
It took several days but I actually spoke to “Tim” at Colt Customer Service last week.

He wasn’t a chipper chap, but did answer my questions.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:29:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I was the one that pointed yours out. It’s there just look really hard.
View Quote
Oh yea, not saying you’re wrong, and I do see what you’re referring to. Just looks a little like seeing Jesus in a piece of toast until I check it physically... LOL.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Ahhh, misread that clearly.
View Quote
I read it the same way you did at first
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#39]
I had to pull out the 6920-OEM1 I recently purchased to re-check the markings.  I made sure to verify all the markings at the LGS before buying; I wanted an LE prefix serial number, I’m not sure about the quality of the new CR prefix models.  It is the only genuine Colt AR I own; I bought it just to be sure to have a genuine 6920 before November elections; it may be the last chance if the gubernatorial race goes the wrong way here in Florida.

The lower is QR coded; I was sketchy about this, but it is LE prefixed M4 Carbine rollmarked, so I overlooked the QR; Colt Defense may be engraved, it looks crisp compared to the logo and roll marks.

Upper is C marked with a square, no cage code.

Barrel is cage coded 13629 MP (5.56 NATO 1/7).

CH is cage coded.

Bolt Carrier is C marked, no cage code.

Bolt is marked MPC.

The expanse guns with CR prefix at my LGS had unmarked carriers for sure; and I believe the bolts were unmarked.  I believe the uppers were not C marked.  For sure the FCG in the CR prefix expanse carbines were strange.  The hammer was cropped to a small straight peg, almost like a lightweight competition hammer.  I might have bought one for the price (maybe $550 new) if I were confident in the origin of the parts.

Anyway, I am confident in the LE prefix 6920-OEM1, and glad to have it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Stamp it yourself.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:36:54 PM EDT
[#41]
My fairly new 6940 has a Very small c on it about the size of this font and mpc on bolt.... last year I purchased a Colt 9mm 10.5” upper from Arms Unlim that had No c on carrier... I did reach out to them to question Did I get  A Colt upper?!?    They quickly replied they ship them in a unopened bag as received from Colt.

H
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:42:29 PM EDT
[#42]
All three of mine came in unsealed Colt cardboard boxes.
Link Posted: 10/18/2018 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Oh yea, not saying you’re wrong, and I do see what you’re referring to. Just looks a little like seeing Jesus in a piece of toast until I check it physically... LOL.
View Quote
Hahaha thanks for the good laugh
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
SAC

Eta: @myhatinthering
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

never heard of them, link please as I'd pick one up at that price
SAC

Eta: @myhatinthering
Thanks for this link.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 5:47:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You'll be hard pressed to find a nicer guy to deal with.
View Quote
This.  No issues with them, great pricing.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 1:51:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

You'll be hard pressed to find a nicer guy to deal with.
View Quote
I just hung up with SAC.  I ordered a couple of Colt BCG & CH from him.  My first time to order from SAC.  You can tell he's genuinely nice ... not trying to sell things ... just an extremely nice person.

He said my BCG / CH's should ship around Tuesday/Wednesday of next week.  Gave me a detailed explanation of their shipping practices, what to expect via email, etc.  Good stuff so far.

I'm hoping his Colt carriers are "C" marked.  If they are, I'll trade out the non-marked (carriers that came in my AU uppers earlier this week) because the SAC sourced carriers aren't going in Colt URGs.

Again, markings are worthless .... except to the guy buying these items when I eventually tire of them and post them for sale.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 2:06:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

I just hung up with SAC.  I ordered a couple of Colt BCG & CH from him.  My first time to order from SAC.  You can tell he's genuinely nice ... not trying to sell things ... just an extremely nice person.

He said my BCG / CH's should ship around Tuesday/Wednesday of next week.  Gave me a detailed explanation of their shipping practices, what to expect via email, etc.  Good stuff so far.

I'm hoping his Colt carriers are "C" marked.  If they are, I'll trade out the non-marked (carriers that came in my AU uppers earlier this week) because the SAC sourced carriers aren't going in Colt URGs.

Again, markings are worthless .... except to the guy buying these items when I eventually tire of them and post them for sale.
View Quote
Mine is from him and I ordered it a week ago. It has the C but super faint. Like I said earlier you have to have very good lighting to see it.
At first I thought I got a non C one from him.
And Chris has been A+ with my few purchases
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 2:39:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 3:20:39 PM EDT
[#50]
My 6920 last year cam with an unmarked, I didn't need it and had to sell it for cheap af because no body believed it was colt lol.

i shoulda kept the damn thing, I needed one soon after anyway
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top