Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2024 7:27:04 AM EDT
The look and style of 16" carbines with a fixed stock always turned me off when I first got into AR15s.  This was during the early 2000s and the end of the AWB when collapsable stocks were all the rage so don't judge me too harshly.  

I'm now finding myself intrigued by the idea since it looks like a very when balanced set-up, despite the unconventional look.  It's also something different and I've been at the point for several years now where convention has become boring and anything different is welcome.

I have the parts to clone a Colt R6530, except for an A2 upper.  I'm not a fan of the A2 target sights and was wondering if Colt (or anyone else) ever produce a varient of the R6530 with field sights rather than A2 target sights?  If not the R6530, was there ever a varient made by Colt, Bushmaster or any of the manufacturers at the time that would have made a 16" carbine with a C7 style upper and A1 length stock?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 8:34:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Look at H&R on the PSA website, I believe they will have the C7 style upper you will need.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 12:49:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the reply.  I already have a C7 upper.  I'm just curious what I can clone with that combination of parts (16" carbine barrel, C7 upper and A1 stock).
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 9:11:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grondike] [#3]
I'm pretty sure that Colt had moved on from the C7 style uppers by the time the ban came around in '94, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bushmaster was selling uppers in that configuration. No idea about complete rifles. Your best bet might be to find a copy of Shotgun News from the era and start looking.

Regarding stocks, I don't think Colt was using A1 stocks after the ban either, but some 6530s came with the CS stock, which is A1 length and A2 materials. They're still around but not cheap; one recently posted on the EE was listed at $300. To get close to the look, I'd probably suggest one of the new A1 trapdoor stocks from H&R or Linemount and add an A2 butt plate.

Seeing your post reminds me that I have a nice 6350 barrel (no threaded barrel, no lug) that I should probably post on the EE. I had though about having it cut down for a XM177E2 retro build but went another direction.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:55:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#4]
Colt did make some like that, but they were a special request deal.  One of the neighboring LE agencies ordered about 100 of them like that in the late 90’s- 16” barrels, A1 upper, and the A2 buttstock.  They eventually swapped out the entire uppers for the more common detachable flat tops with an optic.  Their reasoning for the A1 upper was so people would not fiddle with the rear sight adjustment (though they were individually issued, not pooled guns).  They also kept them empty while in the patrol car, with a yellow mag block inserted.  (But their 870 shotguns were loaded!). They also carried only 20 rd mags initially as well, but only in a stock mounted pouch.

Meanwhile the rest of us were running 6520’s, 6721’s, and then 6920’s, with 30 rd mags seated.  Sometimes it pays not to work at a screwed up agency!  (Not to mention, that agency really restricted rifle use, only a small percentage of their people had a rifle.  We issued one to everybody.)

Anyhow since those uppers were swapped out, and they officially do not trade in their firearms (unofficially they do, I have some of their 870’s), I doubt any will ever be surplused out.

Don’t know what model number Colt gave to those rifles either.  But there were indeed some made in that configuration.
Page AR-15 » A2 Builds
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top