Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2021 2:31:33 PM EDT
Love this rifle. Been my Go-to for awile. It's a chilly day here in ME today, 1 degree, -10 with windchill, so I set the rifle outside at 05:30am, two magazines fully loaded with 55gr PMC ball.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

At 12:30PM I went outside and started pinging away at my target at 410yrds testing for function.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Fired all 60 rounds, no drama, locked bolt back on last round.

I'm going to continue testing this winter.

Alot of bad Intel out there about ARs in the cold, and for years I used AKs on my snow shoe/coyote hunting excursions. 3 years ago I started carrying this AR and a Bushmaster 16" HBAR, with no I'll effects.

No, I didnt soak it in water or bury it in snow... maybe later..
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:39:01 PM EDT
[#1]
what were you thinking would happen?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:40:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I did a test a few years back with a SOLGW. No issues,  maybe 25 out, 100ish rounds.  Lube was probably 5w-30, but not certain.

Maybe I'll take one out tomorrow.   Sadly, today was the 3 degree day. Tomorrow warms back to 30.

At least I can wear a t shirt to the range.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I have shot all mine in -20.  Killed Coyote at -15
Only issues I have ever had were
1) Sitting  in one spot for so long frost accumulated all over,  including the bolt (keep cover closed going forward) so CH seemed hard to cycle
2) Zoom ring on optics can get very stiff.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 2:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

No idea. But 99% of cold weather test are a shooter simply taking a warm rifle/ammunition outside and blasting away, deeming that's "good enough". Or walking with a rifle hugging the body, therefore keeping the rifle at a warmer temp. I wanted the whole kit to be cooled down entirely to sub zero temps and go from there.

For Science.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Just like the GI's did with their M1's in Northern Europe during WWII and Korea conflict in the winter.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 3:26:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Only cold weather AR issues I've come across personally have been below -20 F.

Lube type/choice can be a bitch and underpowered ammo can dick with things.

Nice looking setup OP.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:41:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:20:26 PM EDT
[#8]
To be honest I've hunted with a 6920 at -30 and had zero concerns. Good test.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:24:43 PM EDT
[#9]
So long as you use proper lube, you'll be able to shoot a whole lot colder than that.  Once you pass -40 or so, you tend to run with zero lube however as most are super thick.  Note, I haven't tried slip 2000 in those temps yet, but supposedly it works decently.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 6:37:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Interesting, keep posting your findings.  There is no cold weather testing down here..........
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:00:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No idea. But 99% of cold weather test are a shooter simply taking a warm rifle/ammunition outside and blasting away, deeming that's "good enough". Or walking with a rifle hugging the body, therefore keeping the rifle at a warmer temp. I wanted the whole kit to he cooled down entirely to sub zero temps and go from there.

For Science.
View Quote

Now take that cold rifle inside and check the condensation on the optic.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:28:57 PM EDT
[#12]
The only function problem i have ever had in cold weather was with wolf ammo. I was surprised. I always figured, russian ammo, it will work fine. Nope. It was .308, out of a box of 20 only 5 fired. All duds had a deep primer indentation. It was -10 without wind.

The federal and zgi ammo i had functioned 100%.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 7:46:37 PM EDT
[#13]
It rarely gets below zero here but single digits and teens are common in the winter. What I've dealt with is that ARs run a bit sluggish when it gets below 20 degrees or so. It's not just about oil either. If you have a gun that cycles fairly strong to begin with, then it's probably fine in the winter here. If you have a gun set up to barely lock back on a warm summer day then it's likely to short stroke when its cold.
At one point (before I knew better) I tried setting up all my ARs to barely lock back on the last round, thinking I was improving them. Winter came and half of them short stroked. I've since changed things around so each one still runs fine down to at least zero degrees. Shooting reliably year round is much more important to me than trying to reduce recoil in the summer.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I have had issues with heat/cool cycles.   The rifle gets snow on it, fire twenty rounds, the rifle warms up, the snow melts, and water gets into various parts of the rifle.    Then let the rifle cool again, the water freezes, more snow gets on the rifle, shoot another twenty rounds.   It heats up again.   More water accumulates, some in the internal parts of the rifle.   That freezes....    You can see where I am going here.   Keeping the ejection port cover closed helps but it is limited in value if snow is blowing while you are shooting.   It can be a real bear if water freezes between the bolt carrier group and the upper receiver.   But we are talking about being out in windy sub zero temps all day, shooting at various intervals, with minimal time to care for the weapon.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:17:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have had issues with heat/cool cycles.   The rifle gets snow on it, fire twenty rounds, the rifle warms up, the snow melts, and water gets into various parts of the rifle.    Then let the rifle cool again, the water freezes, more snow gets on the rifle, shoot another twenty rounds.   It heats up again.   More water accumulates, some in the internal parts of the rifle.   That freezes....    You can see where I am going here.   Keeping the ejection port cover closed helps but it is limited in value if snow is blowing while you are shooting.   It can be a real bear if water freezes between the bolt carrier group and the upper receiver.   But we are talking about being out in windy sub zero temps all day, shooting at various intervals, with minimal time to care for the weapon.  

2Hut8
View Quote

Condensation is a killer in sub zero temps.

Army Issues Tips for Operating Weapons in Extreme Cold

LINK
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks OP.

What lube where you using?
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:33:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Cherrybalmz has a Winter Balm made just for the cold.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:40:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cherrybalmz has a Winter Balm made just for the cold.
View Quote

"After nearly a year of intense R&D"

aka we took a while to find the cheapest OEM of some cold weather automotive grease and get it in the cheapest bottles we can find to upcharge it 2000% to gun owners
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 10:49:41 PM EDT
[#19]
I wish I grabbed one of those and a CCU.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks OP.

What lube where you using?
View Quote

It's the hopes "extreme" lube.. so nothing special at all. I've yet to pick up a specific cold weather lube.

I would like to continue this little experiment using this 6920. Its probobly my second favorite AR I own (R-15 XHR in 30 RAR will always be my fav) but I love that Colt put a good quality rail and still pinned the gas block on these.

Going into Feb here I'll see plenty of -20 days especially with the wind chill. What test would you guys recommend next that will further push the rifle?

I'd like to avoid doing any kind of damage to it, but really find the cap as to where it starts requiring a specific lubricant.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:25:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Lubricant, Arctic Warfare (LAW):

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:42:59 PM EDT
[#22]

It's been awile thay I've been keeping my eyes open for some of that in stock, yet haven't seen it available for some time now. I'd love to buy a quart.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:54:15 PM EDT
[#23]
For science - keep posting, I enjoy what you are doing OP. Good to see some new content on the board recently. even if others have done this before.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:17:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I'll do the 70 degree testing. Single digit and negative temps, no thanks. Y'all have fun with that.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:22:01 AM EDT
[#25]
I am so glad I moved from southern canada (wisconsin) to Texas.....

But it brings back memories of die cast rear view mirrors breaking off cars when doors were slammed at -35°  

So glad I moved!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:20:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Now take that cold rifle inside and check the condensation on the optic.
View Quote

+1
Do it a couple of times and see how/if condensation lockup the gun
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:46:51 AM EDT
[#27]
talked to a Korean war vet said they pissed on their m1 garands to unfreeze them. Also said after firing 8 rounds into charging Chinese  they'd run into the bayonet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 7:48:01 AM EDT
[#28]
talked to a Korean war vet said they pissed on their m1 garands to unfreeze them. Also said after firing 8 rounds into charging Chinese  they'd run into the bayonet.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#29]
To me, the colder it gets, the rifle seems to cycle slower.

Never an issue though, so perhaps it's the density of the colder air playing tricks on my ears.

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#30]
Issues usually don't start until -40

and it's ammo (powder) related.

unless you used WD-40 as a lube
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Never an issue though, so perhaps it's the density of the colder air playing tricks on my ears.

View Quote

This could be due in part to the recoil spring cooling...YMMV
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:00:04 PM EDT
[#32]
OP, do a High Humidity Jungle test next.

Just turn on your shower full hot for 5 min, then shoot out the window and see if the gun functions in the humid bathroom environment.

It would be as useful as the first 'test'.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:15:58 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most lubes start to thicken around freezing or colder, so that would make a noticeable impact on cycling.  Past a certain point (unless you're doing high volume fire) it's just better not to run any lube if the rifle is cold soaking.  That said, I doubt many people will be out shooting a lot in -40f or colder.  Supposedly Slip2000 is good past that point, but I haven't tried it.  I'm still working on my quart of 0w Mobil 1.

Additionally, powders start to get weird at certain temps and colder (depends on the powder) so they'll usually have less pressure or other characteristic changes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:14:55 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Just turn on your shower full hot for 5 min, then shoot out the window and see if the gun functions in the humid bathroom environment.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:29:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I had a greased 1911 that would cycle in super slow motion in the cold.   It was neat to watch.   Lesson learned:   Use oil and not grease in the winter.  

2Hut8
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:12:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I had a greased 1911 that would cycle in super slow motion in the cold.   It was neat to watch.   Lesson learned:   Use oil and not grease in the winter.  

2Hut8
View Quote

Found out the same one winter with a Remington 1100 while deer hunting in uber cold.

It would fully cycle but damn! It took forever. The old guys in the group chewed my ass for greasing my bolt and carrier rails.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

That actually sounds very relaxing and therapeutic.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 9:26:33 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Love this rifle. Been my Go-to for awile. It's a chilly day here in ME today, 1 degree, -10 with windchill, so I set the rifle outside at 05:30am, two magazines fully loaded with 55gr PMC ball.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/472175/Screenshot_20210120-105052_Samsung_Exper-1788207.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/472175/20210120_095431_jpg-1788209.JPG

At 12:30PM I went outside and started pinging away at my target at 410yrds testing for function.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/472175/20210120_125244_jpg-1788211.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/472175/20210120_125920_jpg-1788212.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/472175/20210120_125938_jpg-1788215.JPG

Fired all 60 rounds, no drama, locked bolt back on last round.

I'm going to continue testing this winter.

Alot of bad Intel out there about ARs in the cold, and for years I used AKs on my snow shoe/coyote hunting excursions. 3 years ago I started carrying this AR and a Bushmaster 16" HBAR, with no I'll effects.

No, I didnt soak it in water or bury it in snow... maybe later..
View Quote

Great test!  Living in a similar climate, I am very interested in cold weather performance as well.  USGI configuration ARs will generally run without issue (the mil did all of that testing for us) it's the home build guns and off spec gas systems that can run into problems in the cold.  What I like to do with a gun I am testing is to fire as many rounds as I can without cleaning, at least a few hundred, and then test it in temps in the single digits or below with either PMC bronze (most anemic commercial .223 load I'm aware of) and tula steel case.  If it functions in the cold, well fouled, with those ammunition choices, then it should function with just about any commercial .223 / 5.56 round and I consider it reliable enough for duty use.

Quoted:

Most lubes start to thicken around freezing or colder, so that would make a noticeable impact on cycling.  Past a certain point (unless you're doing high volume fire) it's just better not to run any lube if the rifle is cold soaking.  That said, I doubt many people will be out shooting a lot in -40f or colder.  Supposedly Slip2000 is good past that point, but I haven't tried it.  I'm still working on my quart of 0w Mobil 1.

Additionally, powders start to get weird at certain temps and colder (depends on the powder) so they'll usually have less pressure or other characteristic changes.
View Quote

The cold can effect a lot of otherwise reliable gear in drastic ways.  Especially electronics (all you red dot / battery powered optics folks).  Also, as someone who has done chronograph testing in the cold and the hot, you'd be surprised how much velocities can change.  Also, some powders are a lot more temp stable than others.  

I agree with running things on the dryer side in extreme cold, which is also why I prefer fully chrome plated BCGs to help mitigate friction (Stoner who designed the AR platform to have fully chrome plated BCG, agrees).  Supposedly, Marvel's Mystery oil is good down to -40 degrees however.
Link Posted: 1/30/2021 7:32:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Couple days ago I took my LMT out.  Put it in the truck bed when it was -2 our, shot it at 5 degrees about 3 hours later.  40 rounds. Only issue is that metal mags suck in the cold versus plastic.  IMI 55 gr.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 8:34:41 PM EDT
[#40]
This past weekend was a great one for winter testing for those of you in New England.  Coldest weather of the year so far.  Can only imagine how cold it got in northern Maine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top