User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 7:52:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Not on FDE.  But I ordered a black REIN on the second day of release and just received shipping notification.  I can't wait to have it mounted up and take it to a night shoot.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I think I like it more than my modlites
solid, bright, takes most all 18650s,
and most importantly the Battery Jack

best piece of simple ingenuity ever
the battery bounce is my biggest pet peeve
on my other lights.

Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:17:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Has anyone heard a status update for the FDE reins?
View Quote

Curious as well.  Have one ordered.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:42:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I think I like it more than my modlites
solid, bright, takes most all 18650s,
and most importantly the Battery Jack

best piece of simple ingenuity ever
the battery bounce is my biggest pet peeve
on my other lights.

View Quote

I went rein micro. Only enhancing I've done is to replace the mineral glass lens with a sapphire. So nice that the lenses are serviceable.
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I went rein micro. Only enhancing I've done is to replace the mineral glass lens with a sapphire. So nice that the lenses are serviceable.
View Quote

Where did you get the lens?  Not seeing it in their site.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Where did you get the lens?  Not seeing it in their site.

Thanks!
View Quote

It's not a CD product. Here is a short video I did on the subject:
Cloud Defensive Sapphire Lens Replacement
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:28:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just curious what your reasoning was for this?

Sapphire is harder and more scratch resistant, but more likely to crack or shatter over mineral.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Has anyone heard a status update for the FDE reins?
View Quote

@FailureToFun

ETA for them on their website went from 11/15 to 12/22.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

@FailureToFun

ETA for them on their website went from 11/15 to 12/22.
View Quote
That's pretty unfortunate. Contemplating a refund and going for a modlite now.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 7:04:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Just curious what your reasoning was for this?

Sapphire is harder and more scratch resistant, but more likely to crack or shatter over mineral.
View Quote

It faired better in my video, and I've tested multiple lenses over the years all with the same results. Sapphire handles sharp impact better. People opine that it's more likely to shatter because of its modulus of elasticity. However, in the form factor of a small diameter and thick lens backed by a gasket, and even "naked" in drop testing...I have not seen it to shatter any easier than the same dimensional mineral glass lens. A quick review of watch Crystal online reveals others having the same real world experience, to the point that unless you are also shattering glass, you won't have an issue with a sapphire lens either.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:04:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

It faired better in my video, and I've tested multiple lenses over the years all with the same results. Sapphire handles sharp impact better. People opine that it's more likely to shatter because of its modulus of elasticity. However, in the form factor of a small diameter and thick lens backed by a gasket, and even "naked" in drop testing...I have not seen it to shatter any easier than the same dimensional mineral glass lens. A quick review of watch Crystal online reveals others having the same real world experience, to the point that unless you are also shattering glass, you won't have an issue with a sapphire lens either.
View Quote

I’ll have to check it out.  I guess I was mostly going by what people say about higher end Seiko dive watches that have mineral crystals and not sapphire.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I’ll have to check it out.  I guess I was mostly going by what people say about higher end Seiko dive watches that have mineral crystals and not sapphire.  
View Quote

Seiko uses "Hardlex" to save on costs. They use 4mm thick hardlex on their SEIKO1000m dive watches. They would only need to use 3mm sapphire to achieve the same results, however....the 4mm hardlex is cheaper, so...thicker and cheaper it is. With the REIN, we are talking 3mm vs 3mm, also, keep in mind.
Link Posted: 11/20/2020 7:00:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I received my full size REIN (black) yesterday.  I've used Surefire historically, but the OWL for about the last year.  I'm an end user and work with my rifle everyday.  

The REIN is a smart design, the execution and machining leaves nothing to be desired.  I typically stay away from lights with wires because they snag, they get bent repeatedly and they fail.  Cloud obviously thinks about wire management, so I'm going to give it a shot.  Once mounted, the wire that was exposed was minimal and very low profile.  The side insertion of the wire is the key.  

REIN v. OWL

Pro's - It's lighter than the OWL.  The additional candela is noticeable.  The separate momentary and on/off switches are a nice touch.  

Con's - It's as or more robust than competitors, but nothing I've seen is as tough or fool proof as the OWL.  Dare I say the OWL might be Marine proof.  The mounting system relies on the Surefire foot print and many available mounts for those lights.  It's a pro in that you have so many options. It's a con as it's probably the lights physically weakest point.  At least when compared to the OWL.  

It seems like a good piece of equipment.  I'm glad I decided to give it a shot and I can't wait to put it through it's paces.  

And if anyone at Cloud hits these forums:  Thanks for continuing to innovate and bring fresh ideas to the table.  Keep up the good work!    
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#14]
FDE Reins have begun shipping

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:08:40 AM EDT
[#15]

That's good news! I've been waiting on mine for months now.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 2:51:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

That's good news! I've been waiting on mine for months now.
View Quote

Yep, lots of us have
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 7:31:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 4:49:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/10/2021 10:09:05 AM EDT
[#19]
I run Modlites and Surefires. I recently bought a Rein just to see what's up. I really wanted to like it but it's just meh. The battery jack, piston, and IPX8 rating are all rad. And I do prefer the warmer color temperature. But overall it doesn't do anything my other lights don't do. The whole setup is....massive.

My main complaints:
1) The proprietary switch and tailcap aren't that ergonomic or intuitive. And they're proprietary so you don't have the plethora of options (16+) like you do with Modlite/Surefire.

2) The reverse clicky remote switch on my unit is finicky – sometimes the light just flickers for a few seconds before turning on.

3) The electrical contact surface between the body and head doesn't include the threads. That means if the head gets vibrated or knocked even slightly loose, the light won't function at all.

I'm going to continue using it (on a backup rifle) to see if it grows on me.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 8:14:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Well, the backlog may be getting a bit longer now

Cloud Defensive REIN Weaponlight Review
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Well, the backlog may be getting a bit longer now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=655LksYpMUU
View Quote

I do like the light from your testing I love the less white light it puts out but if anything I wish I grabbed another v2 instead of another okw. I have a scar and figured long range but the rein and v2 seems to hit the sweet spot. 1 is hotter the modlite but I think too hot.

I assumed the okw was better for scoped but from the video the rein and v2 might be better.
Link Posted: 2/3/2021 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Has anyone received their rein fde from the Black Friday deal?  Anyone heard any updates?  I’ve sent a few emails and heard crickets.  Thinking about cancelling mine and going to modlite...
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#23]
I inquired a few days ago and was told that due to anodizing issues another 4-8 weeks. Was tired of waiting so I had them switch my order to black - it arrives to day...……… nothing some duracoat can't fix the next time I have a can.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 12:38:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I inquired a few days ago and was told that due to anodizing issues another 4-8 weeks. Was tired of waiting so I had them switch my order to black - it arrives to day...……… nothing some duracoat can't fix the next time I have a can.
View Quote

Can I ask how you contacted them?  I’ve emailed a few times and haven’t gotten a response, and their contact deal on their website keeps erroring out...

Thinking about changing to black or just cancelling and going modlite
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Can I ask how you contacted them?  I’ve emailed a few times and haven’t gotten a response, and their contact deal on their website keeps erroring out...

View Quote

I just emailed with them.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 1:57:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Really liking my micro.  The output and beam pattern are solid, I think the cable/switch system is awesome.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/10/2021 1:53:21 PM EDT
[#27]
The YouTubers are shills? OK, but when someone says something that makes sense and is verifiable (e.g. one light is user-serviceable and another is not), I couldn't care less.

My problem with YouTube flashlight tests tends to be how idiotic it is to drop a light with no control for how it impacts the ground. OK, so one light hits its tailcap and the other lands head-first, and that's the basis for a sensible comparison? Your middling IQ couldn't concoct a way to make them land the same way each time, such as by--oh, I dunno--letting them drop through a long PVC tube head-first from a known height, rather than letting them simply free-fall after your shaking hand added rotational force to them? I came up with that idea after literally 5 seconds of thought.

I have a REIN and I like it, except for its weight. But since CD ignores emails as deftly as Modlite always has now, and since they enjoy dicking on the price so much, I'm just going to get $40-50 and yet perfectly adequate Streamlight PolyTac X USBs from now on.

Link Posted: 2/11/2021 12:34:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The YouTubers are shills? OK, but when someone says something that makes sense and is verifiable (e.g. one light is user-serviceable and another is not), I couldn't care less.

My problem with YouTube flashlight tests tends to be how idiotic it is to drop a light with no control for how it impacts the ground. OK, so one light hits its tailcap and the other lands head-first, and that's the basis for a sensible comparison? Your middling IQ couldn't concoct a way to make them land the same way each time, such as by--oh, I dunno--letting them drop through a long PVC tube head-first from a known height, rather than letting them simply free-fall after your shaking hand added rotational force to them? I came up with that idea after literally 5 seconds of thought.

I have a REIN and I like it, except for its weight. But since CD ignores emails as deftly as Modlite always has now, and since they enjoy dicking on the price so much, I'm just going to get $40-50 and yet perfectly adequate Streamlight PolyTac X USBs from now on.

View Quote

I’m not sure what it makes them but quite a few of them take handouts which may or may not influence their opinions. I’d imagine that some of them like getting free stuff.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:06:38 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

I finally gave up on the FDE REIN -- told them instead to send me a black one already and they are.

I just replied to my "Order Received" email and told them, seemed to work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 4:50:29 AM EDT
[#30]
Got my Micro in about 3-4 weeks after ordering. Dig the beam pattern, color, brightness and tail cap. The switch is meh, we will see how it holds up.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#31]
My FDE REIN just shipped

Ordered 10/17
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:10:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Received my FDE REIN today (ordered 01 Oct 20) & battery's currently charging.
I'll do some comparisons tonight vs OWL & Modlite.

& after waiting 5 freaking months, you'd think I would've at least gotten an extra battery?!
LOL, nope.  Just a coupla stickers.  Really, CD?  Kinda shittay...
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Showed up today, so far I'm very happy with it.  

Threw it on the 10.3" with an Arisaka mount.  My only complaint is the wire was about 1/4" too short to route it like I wanted to.  5 minutes with a file on the side plate for the button fixed that issue.  

iPotato pics don't do the beam justice.  Much brighter in person.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:21:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Does the FDE really look that horrible in person, or does it not photograph well? Pressure pad looks good.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:03:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Does the FDE really look that horrible in person, or does it not photograph well? Pressure pad looks good.
View Quote

The pictures in my post are pretty close to how mine looks in person.  Can't say it looks bad but is definitely different.  None of the FDE on my gun matches anyway
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

It actually looks like Olight Odin "FDE"
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 12:01:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Showed up today, so far I'm very happy with it.  

Threw it on the 10.3" with an Arisaka mount.  My only complaint is the wire was about 1/4" too short to route it like I wanted to.  5 minutes with a file on the side plate for the button fixed that issue.  

iPotato pics don't do the beam justice.  Much brighter in person.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86377/0BA41D82-BF30-4780-91A0-5F351CC8D76A_jpe-1850225.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86377/AF343D5A-82F6-413A-8F47-4C8F98FB6167_jpe-1850208.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/86377/49328E13-3080-435F-869E-8AF169ED9989_jpe-1850210.JPG

View Quote

Distance to tree?
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 5:35:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Distance to tree?
View Quote

64 yards
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#39]
WTF, that anodizing looks horrible. Did they contract out to a garage anodizer?
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
WTF, that anodizing looks horrible. Did they contract out to a garage anodizer?
View Quote

Agreed...I emailed and had them change to a black FS Rein.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 3:17:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Double tap.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Looks like the anodizing matches Colt's FDE receiver extensions.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Got my FDE Rein Micro in. Based off the pictures I have seen here of others, it seems like there various shades.

Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:42:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Got my FDE Rein Micro in. Based off the pictures I have seen here of others, it seems like there various shades.

https://i.imgur.com/VdedNH1.jpg
View Quote

Congrats, you made their fb page lol
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 7:43:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

And IG
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 11:49:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

I saw that! Lol. Friggin FAMOUS.

The pic of my Rein Micro mounted mk18 sitting on an Inforce mat. Lol
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Looks cool might get one to compare to the owl.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 5:11:38 PM EDT
[#48]
Looks like they're chipping away at backorders. I ordered a black full size complete kit at the beginning of February and got a shipping notice this afternoon.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#49]
They are running a 15% off sale now (GUNMONEY15) and have added clear anodized as a color option.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Got my full size rein complete kit in FDE the other day and I figured I'd share my thoughts.

1.) This thing is very stout. Feels like a quality unit and it's is massive! Which is both a pro and a con. The switch feels OK, not as wow'd as I thought I'd be. Wish the cord was a hair longer.

2.) The FDE finish is OK. I know it's due to how it's finished vs painted but looks more of a bronze then tan. The switch color is spot on!

3.) Based on specs and reviews I figured as soon as I clicked it on I would be blinded by the pure power of the sun! IMO it's good, but I'm not as floored as I expected. Deff more of a beam then tlr-1 I had on the rifle. I'll keep the light but may go and try Modlite for my next one.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top