Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2021 7:23:38 PM EDT
Hi, I am looking for suggestions for a grease to use on my Glocks. Something non toxic and low odor. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:29:32 PM EDT
[#1]
SuperLube.  At Harbor Freight.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 7:36:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Superlube has teflon, turns toxic with heat.

Might check out lubrikit.com for some SFO grease. Or slip200 for some EWG that's a little thicker.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Vasoline
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#4]
STP
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I like Super lube! I don't lick my guns. Who gives a shit if it's toxic after it's hot? Works great on my ARs and pistol slides
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:01:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Olive oil.

I believe your non-toxic lubes are vegetable based… by that I mean esters, like bio-diesel. The problem with these types of lubes is they tend to oxidize and gum-up.

Petroleum based lubes are probably your best bet if corrosion inhibitor is a factor.

Low odor lubes I have good experience with includes ALG Go-juice (I typically use this on trigger parts) and Lucas extreme gun oil/grease. I also use Lucas white lithium in some applications like M1A.

G6 synthetic CLP is my go-to general purpose product, but it has a stronger odor than the others.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:08:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I like Super lube! I don't lick my guns. Who gives a shit if it's toxic after it's hot? Works great on my ARs and pistol slides
View Quote

Windows are another matter. Guns get hot and smokey, gun holder breathes in smoke. I'll pass.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 1:10:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. You can also get a higher temp one. It's only toxic if you inhale the teflon particulates or digest it at high heats. This doesn't include the vapor if it burns. I could be wrong however.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 2:04:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Windows are another matter. Guns get hot and smokey, gun holder breathes in smoke. I'll pass.
View Quote

Lol
I use RIG grease.
It isn't clear but it is close and doesn't stink.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 2:33:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're not going to get a handgun hot enough to decompose teflon, it'll be fine.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#12]
C5-A
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 6:21:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I will get super lube at Harbor Freight. Thanks guys for the input.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 4:33:08 AM EDT
[#14]
https://vzgrips.com/platforms/accessories/gun-lube-and-cleaning-supplies/

Breakthrough products are what you seek.
I do suggest not using grease on a Glock.
On 9mm guns it is recommended to use a light oil, grease can actually slow down the slide speed because it's thicker.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Battle Born grease
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:24:28 PM EDT
[#16]
I decided to just keep using Break free clp. Thanks for the input guys!
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:33:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Weapon shield makes a gun grease.
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 2:50:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Glocks don't really require grease and it would end badly if you ran a high round count as it would fill with carbon and become a lapping paste.  

A thin oil or similar would be better.  There are also some corrosion issues with a couple of springs that oil is needed for.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2021 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Glocks don't really require grease and it would end badly if you ran a high round count as it would fill with carbon and become a lapping paste.  

A thin oil or similar would be better.  There are also some corrosion issues with a couple of springs that oil is needed for.  

View Quote

This.  Glock recommends a light oil, and sparing application at specific points.  See this illustration for Glock’s guidance.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Glocks work fine with Superlube grease and any sort of reasonable maintenance schedule. If you put 500+ rounds though it at a time you might want to wipe it out with a paper towel or something and relube. I doubt many people are doing that kind of firing schedule.

I like Superlube for handguns as it's clear, no odor, and doesn't run/migrate out of the gun onto holsters, clothing etc.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 10:20:49 AM EDT
[#21]
I have used Lubriplate for firearms grease for 40 years, don't see any reason to change now.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:39:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have used Lubriplate for firearms grease for 40 years, don't see any reason to change now.
View Quote

@borderpatrol

Would you mind posting which Lubriplate you are using?  The number from the can

Thanks,

Bronc
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:50:16 PM EDT
[#23]
If you like Breakfree CLP, you might want to try Breakfree LP ( I think they recently renamed it Full Synthetic)
It doesn't have the cleaner and is a hair thicker. also stays put alittle better.
it was designed for stainless and full auto weapons.

https://www.amazon.com/BreakFree-Lubricant-Preservative-Squeeze-4-Fluid/dp/B0050GWBBU/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=breakfree+LP&qid=1625791787&sr=8-1
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:46:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@borderpatrol

Would you mind posting which Lubriplate you are using?  The number from the can

Thanks,

Bronc
View Quote

Lubriplate No. 105 Motor Assembly Grease

I have used the thicker type that comes in cans, but prefer this squeeze tube consistency
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 3:24:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Ballistol isn't a grease, but is clear... and I would highly recommend for a Glock.
Use whatever you like, but I think a "grease" isn't really needed for a Glock... they can be ran pretty dry and function just fine, unlike an AR, so a light lube is more than enough IMO.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 4:58:10 PM EDT
[#26]
FWIW, I got tired of trying out the new lube of the month that cost $10-15 for a 4 ounce bottle, and tried just about everything I could find...   Frog lube, fire clean, etc.   I finally settled on mixing one quart of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil with one quart of Mobil 1 synthetic transmission fluid to get a half gallon for around $25.00.   For places where I wanted thicker viscosity, I mixed some of the above mixture with synthetic grease.  Now I have lubrication that doesn't run out of the pistol, and I can mix it as thick as I want.

I keep in mind that transmission fluid and motor oil are designed to work in environments  that are hot, high pressure environments.  It works great.  I use it on semi-auto rifles, revolvers, semi--auto handguns, and I have yet to think I would benefit from trying another one of the lube of the month items.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 5:21:11 PM EDT
[#27]
I like that super lube, with it being clear, you can just wipe your greasy finger on your white shirt and nobody will notice.   I use to know a guy that  could so easily change oil in any Jeep, he could wear a white shirt & English twill jacket and not get a spot  of oil on himself or his clothes.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Olive oil.

I believe your non-toxic lubes are vegetable based… by that I mean esters, like bio-diesel. The problem with these types of lubes is they tend to oxidize and gum-up.

Petroleum based lubes are probably your best bet if corrosion inhibitor is a factor.

Low odor lubes I have good experience with includes ALG Go-juice (I typically use this on trigger parts) and Lucas extreme gun oil/grease. I also use Lucas white lithium in some applications like M1A.

G6 synthetic CLP is my go-to general purpose product, but it has a stronger odor than the others.
View Quote

Olive oil becomes very sticky after a while.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 8:49:46 AM EDT
[#30]
SuperLube is the grease I use on guns and have been happy with it for over 5 years.

For my daily carry G17 I spin a qtip in the grease and that is enough to put a light film coat on all the moving parts and surfaces that need lubed. When it's time to clean the gun the SL is easily wiped off and any carbon that has built up is kept soft and wipes up with it.

Love it on AR Bolts and BCG, a thin film on buffer springs really quiets them up.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:07:35 AM EDT
[#31]
Adding another Super lube recommendation, been using it on all my guns for years. Never had a problem with it.
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:14:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You're not going to get a handgun hot enough to decompose teflon, it'll be fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No kidding, just don't grease your bore with it and it's fine.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:23:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top