Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2020 9:13:00 PM EDT
Well, I’m not really sure where to put this post, so if it needs moved, my apologies.

I have a 5.56 can I’m thinking about throwing on a .22 LR for dedicated use. It cannot be disassembled in any way. It uses K baffles.

Are there any solutions to keep it from getting full of lead and .22 garbage? Would an ultrasonic cleaner help at all?
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 9:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Wipe-Out Brushless Foaming Bore Cleaning Solvent, then water, blow out with air and shoot.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 3:04:51 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had customers who swear by Ed's Red as a 22LR overnight soak cleaning solution for sealed cans.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 11:06:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I shoot 1000s of .22lrs out of my upper. I have a lot of fun with them but always shoot full powered ammo out of it before going home. I run a bore snake through it prior to switching back to full powered 5.56 ammo. I always eye ball the bore to make sure there is no obstruction.

I shoot the CCI Minimags with the copper plate and I also shoot the Federal Automatch boxes. Both ammo have been flawless. Except for the story below, I never had any issue with lead build up and I shoot 100s of rounds per session.

Now I do have a leading story from a while back though. Back when I was shooting Tula ammo like crazy. One day I shot about 200 rounds of Tula, and wanted to shoot more. So I put in the conversion bolt and after shooting about 20-30 rounds suddenly the rounds started to shoot wildly in all directions. At 25 yards, it was hitting the ceiling, the side walls, etc. I immediately stopped and looked down the barrel. It was nearly completely clogged and luckily it was a indoor range and no one was injured. I tried to put a boresnake down and it would not drop in. I went home and had to clean for several days. At first even a cleaning rod would not go down the bore, I had to let solvent soak into it. Not sure what happened, but my guess is the bi-metal from Tulammo somehow shaved a lot of lead and built up in the bore. I was shooting automatch which is lead nose rounds. Afterwards I would always shoot .22lr first, before ever shooting .223/5.56 and never had the issue again. I also bore snake it prior to shooting full powered ammo and again nothing ever happened.
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
I shoot 1000s of .22lrs out of my upper. I have a lot of fun with them but always shoot full powered ammo out of it before going home. I run a bore snake through it prior to switching back to full powered 5.56 ammo. I always eye ball the bore to make sure there is no obstruction.

I shoot the CCI Minimags with the copper plate and I also shoot the Federal Automatch boxes. Both ammo have been flawless. Except for the story below, I never had any issue with lead build up and I shoot 100s of rounds per session.

Now I do have a leading story from a while back though. Back when I was shooting Tula ammo like crazy. One day I shot about 200 rounds of Tula, and wanted to shoot more. So I put in the conversion bolt and after shooting about 20-30 rounds suddenly the rounds started to shoot wildly in all directions. At 25 yards, it was hitting the ceiling, the side walls, etc. I immediately stopped and looked down the barrel. It was nearly completely clogged and luckily it was a indoor range and no one was injured. I tried to put a boresnake down and it would not drop in. I went home and had to clean for several days. At first even a cleaning rod would not go down the bore, I had to let solvent soak into it. Not sure what happened, but my guess is the bi-metal from Tulammo somehow shaved a lot of lead and built up in the bore. I was shooting automatch which is lead nose rounds. Afterwards I would always shoot .22lr first, before ever shooting .223/5.56 and never had the issue again. I also bore snake it prior to shooting full powered ammo and again nothing ever happened.
View Quote

Thats wild! Was the can still hot internally enough to maybe "melt" the bare lead .22 a little?
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By boltedsafe:
I use Wipe-Out Brushless Foaming Bore Cleaning Solvent, then water, blow out with air and shoot.
View Quote

That doesn’t say anything about removing head which, from what I understand, is the biggest issue with shooting rimfire in a center fire can. No experience personally though.

OP, look into “the dip”. It’s hazardous and needs to be disposed of properly but I’ve read it works really well.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By socommatthews:

That doesn’t say anything about removing head which, from what I understand, is the biggest issue with shooting rimfire in a center fire can. No experience personally though. 

OP, look into “the dip”. It’s hazardous and needs to be disposed of properly but I’ve read it works really well.
View Quote

22 suppressor I have is the mono core type with the clam shells over it. It has lead build up on the inside of the clam shells halves after only a little bit of shooting. I have not found anything yet that easily removes the lead without hard scrubbing also. No way I will shoot 22lr through my sealed 223 can.
I also have a very old style 22lr can with the copper mesh filler and end wipe. I have sealed it and soaked it with every product I could find that would not eat up the tube and internals but the mesh is hopelessly clogged and useless.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 3:27:35 AM EDT
[#7]
The only thing that would clean mine is the dip. Be very careful. Creates lead acetate that will absorb through your skin. Dipose of properly with hazardous materials collection.  50/50 white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide.

Use at your own risk. Can damage aluminum or finishes and will damage you if mishandled.

You can probably get more info in the suppressor forum.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 7:35:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Try using the CCI "Clean" LINK

Should prevent the lead build up.

I think the only way to get lead out of a sealed can is "the dip" mentioned above.  I've never used it as it does seem pretty hazardous.  If you already have fouled you can, you may want to dip it once, and then use the coated ammo to prevent further build up.
Link Posted: 5/24/2020 12:08:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:06:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thats wild! Was the can still hot internally enough to maybe "melt" the bare lead .22 a little?
View Quote

I doubt a .22lr would ever get a can hot enough. I'm guessing the Tula ammo left something in the barrel that maybe shaved off the .22lr.

All I know is I can shoot .22lr all day long, and the barrel will be clean. I'm guessing there's something about the tul ammo that is off. I never really shot steel ammo again since it shot my barrel out as well.
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top