Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2019 9:30:11 PM EDT
Hey guys, first post on the forum discussions for me! I was wondering, I'm about to order a SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block for my Noveske 12.5" crusader barrel, and I was wondering if there was any answer to the question of which is better, clamp on (with two screws) or bottom set screw version?? I've seen good reviews on both but I wanted to see if anyone here had personal experience with them. If you have a take on it I appreciate it! Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:36:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Set screw as long as the barrel is dimpled for it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Clamp on.

Even pressure, more contact area.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I have several Sentries. I’m pretty sure they are a mix of set screw and clamp on. All of them work fine.
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 12:17:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Either work well but I’d give the nod to a quality clamp-on IMO/IME.  Really don’t want either moving...bed with Loctite 638.  Use 10-20-sec. of propane torch prior to attempting removal!
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:32:04 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer clamp as long as they're protected from impact.   Get them on right and they're not going anywhere, are less likely to leak, and it's easier to take them off and put them on another barrel later (both easier to get off and don't no need to care about dimples).
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 10:07:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I prefer clamp-on, but both will work fine if mounted correctly.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Both work, but I prefer the clamp-on types.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd have went with a Daniel Defense clamp on with this last build, but since Geissele sent me a gas block I went ahead and used it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 3:49:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Set Screw. Then buy a cheap dimple jig or go all out and by the BRD Engineering Pro dimple jig.

I personally use only SLR gas blocks. I use both Adjustable and non-adjustable. I always go with the .400" spacing. They can also be pinned if you so choose. I set screw AND pin my non-adjustable gas blocks. However, the adjustable ones I just set screw because they need to be taken off for maintenance every few thousand rounds or so.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 5:02:52 PM EDT
[#10]
100% Clamp On. I go with SLR Sentry for my Adjustable needs. And for non adjustable I go with DD clamp on's.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 6:01:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey guys, first post on the forum discussions for me! I was wondering, I'm about to order a SLR Sentry 7 adjustable gas block for my Noveske 12.5" crusader barrel, and I was wondering if there was any answer to the question of which is better, clamp on (with two screws) or bottom set screw version?? I've seen good reviews on both but I wanted to see if anyone here had personal experience with them. If you have a take on it I appreciate it! Thanks!
View Quote
Man, are you sure you need to put an AGB on a Crusader barrel??

I don't know if your barrel is new, is one of the older ones, but of all the many barrels I have, my Crusader is the most perfectly gassed of all of them.  Can on, or can off, this barrel does great.

Not trying to discourage, and you may have a LW BCG or some other reason to do it, but I just wanted to throw it out there.

They come with a nice pinned GB, and if you are not shooting suppressed, etc., you might think about it.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top