Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2021 11:29:29 AM EDT
I live in a very humid and salty environment, I have had some trouble with minor rust in the past on a few of my AR’s even with very routine cleaning and oiling. To help prevent further problems I was thinking about getting my colt bolt carrier chrome plated for the added corrosion resistance. (I already have a chrome bolt from lmt). So I have a few questions…

Where could I go to get this done properly?

Would I have to remove and replace the gas key?

Since the bolt is already chrome lined inside, would tolerances get jacked up? Or could they avoid “double chroming” the inside?

Has anyone done this before?

I would just buy the KAC sand cutter bolt carrier to get the same effect, but they are very hard to find and usually over priced when they are found. I don’t really want a chrome bolt from young because of their strange gas key, and don’t want one from a company that’s not really combat proven. I like Colt, KAC, LMT, FN, LWRCI, Etc, but I think that only KAC offers a chrome bolt carrier.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:37:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard chrome adds dimension.

The juice is not worth the squeeze, even if you could find someone willing to humor you.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I live a very humid area and do not have the issues you do OP. you might want to revisit your maintenance routine.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah... uhh... just buy a good chromed carrier. It’ll be cheaper and better than colt’s.

Young makes a good one. There’s nothing weird about their gas key... looks like every gas key in existence. My colt actually has the colt bolt in a Young carrier.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I live a very humid area and do not have the issues you do OP. you might want to revisit your maintenance routine.
View Quote

I live in a salt water marsh along the coast. Not a common issue, but has happened and would like to avoid it on my main self defense rifle. I oil my stuff up very regularly to avoid rust. Everything rusts around here. It’s not a maintenance problem. I clean and oil every time I shoot or handle any weapon.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I live in a salt water marsh along the coast. Not a common issue, but has happened and would like to avoid it on my main self defense rifle. I oil my stuff up very regularly to avoid rust. Everything rusts around here. It’s not a maintenance problem. I clean and oil every time I shoot or handle any weapon.
View Quote

We have those as well. Do you live in a climate controlled building.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:07:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yeah... uhh... just buy a good chromed carrier. It’ll be cheaper and better than colt’s.

Young makes a good one. There’s nothing weird about their gas key... looks like every gas key in existence. My colt actually has the colt bolt in a Young carrier.
View Quote

I thought they don’t stake it or something, and use like a lug instead.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:23:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Hard chrome adds dimension.

The juice is not worth the squeeze, even if you could find someone willing to humor you.
View Quote
I agree.

@OP Wd-40 works well and you can wipe off the excess. It is no substitute for oil but it forgiving and easy to use. I keep spray bottles and gallons of it on the lathe and mill.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I like hard chromed carriers but prefer to buy them that way.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 12:58:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Your idea isn't going to work.

You might be able to get it nitride. Just buy a chrome BCG if you want one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I agree.

@OP Wd-40 works well and you can wipe off the excess. It is no substitute for oil but it forgiving and easy to use. I keep spray bottles and gallons of it on the lathe and mill.
View Quote

WD-40 is NO substitute for oil, PERIOD.  DI's in basic threatened to have us doing pushups from dawn til dusk if they ever caught anyone using it on their weapon.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 2:02:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

WD-40 is NO substitute for oil, PERIOD.  DI's in basic threatened to have us doing pushups from dawn til dusk if they ever caught anyone using it on their weapon.
View Quote
We had Company Commanders and M1's filled with lead lol.
Link Posted: 12/28/2021 5:43:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Corrosion X, lubricant and protectant. Reviews mention it in salty and humid environments. I’ve used Fluid Film in the past as well, wouldn’t say that’s the best option though.
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 12:47:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I like hard chromed carriers but prefer to buy them that way.
View Quote

This.  All damned day.

I have amassed a ridiculous (to me) amount of BCGs, and put them into service with canned, sometimes overgassed short barreled rifles.  

If I could go back in time, I would ONLY buy hard chromed BCGs.  Don't try to tell me about nickle boron, I own them, too.  Nitride is fine, too, but it gets drier quicker.

OP, seek out a chromed BCG.  I only own Daniel Defense, but there are a couple of others.

Caveat: All my BCGs run just fine, the HC just run longer without oil or service while suppressed
Link Posted: 12/29/2021 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks y’all. I guess I’m just going to wait for that KAC sand Cutter carrier to get back in stock at a reasonable price. I would get a DD one, but I think they are discontinued.
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/2/2022 10:21:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Microbest chrome BCG’s apparently in stock at PK:

https://pkfirearms.com/m-16-chrome-bolt-carrier-group
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:09:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Try sending it to Birdsong for Black-T.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:19:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Isn’t black t just some kind of proprietary cerakote or something?

Why not just get a nitrided BCG?
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:35:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I thought they don't stake it or something, and use like a lug instead.
View Quote
Young doesn't stake them, but other than that they're normal and well-made.
I staked mine myself.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 1:46:00 AM EDT
[#20]
NP3 for the win. Had a few Colt bcg done years ago by Robar when they were around. Someone in Mesa is doing it now. Bought the rights or something…
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 2:57:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Op, many years ago (I can guess 2007-2008) my Dad kept an SP1 carbine on his boat (Salt water), he complained that no matter how well he lubed it up the carrier assembly always had some rust develop,  I had his complete carrier assembly Hard chrome plated, it came out great & he never had any more rust issues. I then sent a couple of my own to be done also, the plating is so thin that there are no issues with dimensions changing, i checked headspace to be sure & all was ok. I sent them to Accurate Plating, I didn't have to disassemble anything, they came back ready to drop in the guns.
Today it will be cheaper & easier to just purchase a chrome carrier for sure, unless you want to stay all OEM parts. Chrome is hard to beat, gun stays much cleaner & is much easier to clean.
"In my opinion" The Army should have never eliminated the chrome carrier assembly, probably part of them trying to sabotage  & kill the m16 so they could return to the M14.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 3:06:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Lots of finishes out there I would choose over chrome plating.  DLC coatings, Nitride finishes, etc.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 6:16:14 AM EDT
[#23]
This Expo Arms chrome BCG is an actual Microbest made for Primary Arms home brand.

https://www.primaryarms.com/expo-arms-5.56-nato-complete-mil-spec-m16-bolt-carrier-group-chrome

I've got a few headed my way as well as a few of the phosphates.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:20:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I live in a very humid and salty environment, I have had some trouble with minor rust in the past on a few of my AR’s even with very routine cleaning and oiling. To help prevent further problems I was thinking about getting my colt bolt carrier chrome plated for the added corrosion resistance. (I already have a chrome bolt from lmt). So I have a few questions…

Where could I go to get this done properly?

Would I have to remove and replace the gas key?

Since the bolt is already chrome lined inside, would tolerances get jacked up? Or could they avoid “double chroming” the inside?

Has anyone done this before?

I would just buy the KAC sand cutter bolt carrier to get the same effect, but they are very hard to find and usually over priced when they are found. I don’t really want a chrome bolt from young because of their strange gas key, and don’t want one from a company that’s not really combat proven. I like Colt, KAC, LMT, FN, LWRCI, Etc, but I think that only KAC offers a chrome bolt carrier.

Thanks for the help.
View Quote

Just buy a different bolt carrier.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 10:44:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Isn't black t just some kind of proprietary cerakote or something?

Why not just get a nitrided BCG?
View Quote
No, it's a bit more complicated than that.
Link Posted: 1/3/2022 11:10:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
No, it's a bit more complicated than that.
View Quote

I’d be curious to know. Makes a pretty finish on a bolt action but not sure I would ever consider it for a BCG. It is not a spray-on and bake finish?

Personally I think Ionbond (PVD), nitride, and NP3 is the way to go. But not sure why we are even having this conversation. Just go buy a new carrier in whatever finish you want.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top