Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2021 3:09:05 PM EDT
I have a mini-recce-ish setup and a Trijicon Accupower 1-4. I'm trying to decide on a QD mount that is fairly light and won't break the bank.
Had an Aero ultralight mount on a 3-9 Leupold Patrol and the mount SUCKED. Had it properly installed and could not get the rifle to hold groups. Had other shooters try to shoot it as well.
I'm looking at somewhere in the $150 to $200 range. The Warne Xskel looks like a good fit. Any recommendations or thoughts?

Thanks!

Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:45:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Wow...didn't even know DD was in the mount game! Thanks...will see if I can find one in stock.
ETA: it's not QD
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:26:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I dicked around with mounts for two years and finally listened to ARF and just bought a Larue.  $200.  In stock. Made in USA.

Money well spent.

https://www.larue.com/products/lt204/
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:54:07 AM EDT
[#4]
i have been a ADM Recon fan for my past few. may be a hair over $200 but are nice.

https://www.primaryarms.com/american-defense-recon-quick-detach-30mm-scope-mount-titanium-lever

looks like primary arms has them for sale atm for $173
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Hit up the EE. Bobro, ADM, Larue, etc can all be found for $150-200.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:15:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice, folks. As far as eye relief and such is concerned...what should I look for? I think I'm pretty set on a larue. Just want to make sure I get the right one. As you may have gathered, I'm a complete noob when it comes to magnified optics.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advice, folks. As far as eye relief and such is concerned...what should I look for? I think I'm pretty set on a larue. Just want to make sure I get the right one. As you may have gathered, I'm a complete noob when it comes to magnified optics.
View Quote
Nose on charging handle - 3" offset between receiver and front ring is fairly sure, just be sure the rear ring doesn't hit the ocular/magnification bell. If nose is just behind the CH, a 2" ought to work.

Snap into the rifle and have a friend mark the stock below your eye. Mock the scope above the rifle on a table and use a flashlight from the front to find the focal point at the rear. Line up the focal point with the mark on the stock.

Of their offerings, I'd choose the SPR-E. If you're very squared up, it'll take up the BUIS space, but I think that's better than getting a <2" offset and finding out it's not enough.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#8]
The LaRue CAN mount I believe is the only LaRue mount that doesn't require a tool to adjust when swapping an optic from rail to rail.

Bobro mounts auto-adjust from rail to rail.

ADM mounts can require adjustment, but no tool required. Midwest Industries is similar to ADM mounts.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:15:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nose on charging handle - 3" offset between receiver and front ring is fairly sure, just be sure the rear ring doesn't hit the ocular/magnification bell. If nose is just behind the CH, a 2" ought to work.

Snap into the rifle and have a friend mark the stock below your eye. Mock the scope above the rifle on a table and use a flashlight from the front to find the focal point at the rear. Line up the focal point with the mark on the stock.

Of their offerings, I'd choose the SPR-E. If you're very squared up, it'll take up the BUIS space, but I think that's better than getting a <2" offset and finding out it's not enough.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/379478/LaRue_Offset_jpg-1841985.JPG
View Quote
Thanks! That gives me a pretty good idea what I need. I'm a nose right behind the charging handle, not on it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:15:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The LaRue CAN mount I believe is the only LaRue mount that doesn't require a tool to adjust when swapping an optic from rail to rail.

Bobro mounts auto-adjust from rail to rail.

ADM mounts can require adjustment, but no tool required. Midwest Industries is similar to ADM mounts.
View Quote
The only reason I'd want a QD mount is to remove the optic if it goes out in a bad situation. The optic will more than likely never leave that upper.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a mini-recce-ish setup and a Trijicon Accupower 1-4. I'm trying to decide on a QD mount that is fairly light and won't break the bank.
Had an Aero ultralight mount on a 3-9 Leupold Patrol and the mount SUCKED. Had it properly installed and could not get the rifle to hold groups. Had other shooters try to shoot it as well.
I'm looking at somewhere in the $150 to $200 range. The Warne Xskel looks like a good fit. Any recommendations or thoughts?

Thanks!

View Quote

I would suggest something else is wrong if Aero's mount didn't work. If you couldn't feel any movement at all they were not the problem regarding your accuracy issues. I have several of them and they are solid.

I personally prefer bolt up mounts and rings, QD doesn't make sense to me because I intend to leave it on there. QD costs more and doesn't give me anything of value since I don't remove scopes very often.

I have Warne Xskel mounts and they're excellent as well. ADM and Larue make excellent QD mounts. Another option is to buy a riser from GG&G, PRI, Leupold or EGW and use 1"+/- centerline height 30mm rings. The biggest advantage of going this route is the almost endless scope height centerlines available when using rings. I like .90" rings with a riser (most risers lift the rail .5") which achieves a 1.400" scope centerline height. I can go as low as 1.350" (.850" rings) or as high as 1.650" (1.15" rings) as still be very comfortable in prone.

Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The only reason I'd want a QD mount is to remove the optic if it goes out in a bad situation. The optic will more than likely never leave that upper.
View Quote

Then you really don't need a true return to zero QD mount.  A decent cantilever mount with 13mm (1/2") nuts would do you just fine.  Carry a wrench in your kit for that rare occurrence.

But, there is one other reason return to zero QD might be useful.  You could carry a second QD mounted optic, pre-zeroed for your rifle rail.  If the primary goes down you could "hot swap" them and keep rolling.  I do that on my hunting rifles for fear that I might have the primary optic damaged and spoil an expensive hunt at a distant location without a backup I could install and know it would not need to be sighted in.

Larue and ADM have proven return to zero that is less than 1/2 MOA.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:02:45 PM EDT
[#13]
A 2" offset will work for the vast majority of situations.  The location of the turret housing also comes into play so make sure there is at least a couple inches between the rings so you have some adjustment to fine tune.  I don't trust QD to truly return to zero so don't throw my money at that.
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info guys...ended up with a Larue LT104 off EE. Should be here later today. Got a HTF member that's going to educate me on proper mounting and boresighting it before hitting the range.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top