Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/11/2022 9:42:18 AM EDT
I just put together a 6.5 Grendel for hunting with a 20 inch Faxon barrel and it really chews up the brass. I have an adjustable gas block and shut it down and put one round in the mag at a time then shoot, open the gas screw just a bit until it locked back with this load. Is it just the way it is for the AR to chew the 6.5 brass? Anything to be done? Thanks for any advice.

Steve............

Sorry I wasn't at home where the cases were at the time I posted but here they are now:

Link Posted: 5/11/2022 9:57:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Can you post a pic of the damage?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:38:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Chews it up where?
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 11:47:54 AM EDT
[#3]
As above, posting some pics would be helpful.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 4:37:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Picks added to original post.

Steve..............
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:20:10 PM EDT
[#5]
First place to look are your feed ramps. Large burrs can do a lot of damage. De burring and polishing is a common fix.
Second place to look is the chamber, it should pass a heaspace check with no forcing. Rough chambers can happen. I have had a few barrels that did not pass inspection. Had to send them back. I polish my chambers but sometimes more is required. I usually do not mess with that and will replace the barrel if possible. I have seen barrel chambers fixed by gunsmiths.
After that extractors can have burrs and chew up the case rim, pretty easy to de-burr those.

6.5 Grendel brass is actually worth a fair bit, its been rare to find in stock. Its worth keeping it in good condition.

My faxon barrel and bolt leave zero marks on my brass.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Picks added to original post.

Steve..............
View Quote

Looks to be you may have sharp edges on the feed ramps.  Careful work with some emery cloth or VERY careful work with a Dremel tool should take care of that.   Might not hurt work on the undersides of the feed lips of the mags as well.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 6:39:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Hellbender's guide

The neck marks are from the 2:00 locking lugs upon ejection. Normal, but a nuisance.
Scuffs down lower are normal. Scratches may be burrs along the feedramps and chamber entrance.
Link Posted: 5/11/2022 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys for the info, that was kind of the culprits I was thinking about but wanted to hear from people smarter than I am.
Thanks for that link it explains a lot.

Steve..........
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 3:56:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I pulled the barrel and worked on the feed ramp and 2:00 locking lug area and took care of 75% of the problem. I'll work on the ASC mag next and see if that helps any. Thanks again for the fantastic advice and the link.

Steve............
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:34:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Highly recommend doing the ejector pin modification. Rounds coming from the right side of the magazine has to slide over the pin. The larger case head drags and sometimes causes cases to enter the chamber not straight which can and does cause scratches on the case. All you need to do is take out the ejector and round the square shoulder a little. Made a huge difference in my Grendel.
Search ejector pin mods for an article at Accurateshooter which shows pics.
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top