BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/4/2019 9:39:03 AM EDT
How do you secure the castle nut on your builds?

Pros and cons of each?

The last one I did several years ago was done with a dab of blue Loctite and snugged down by hand, no torque wrench. No issues with it to date...
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:42:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:52:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Good n tight with the wrench then stake. A little dab of grease on the receiver extension threads and castle nut before to make sure it tightens down proper.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#3]
https://www.primaryweapons.com/product-url-6669
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 10:02:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you stake or loc-tite a barrel nut?  Tighten it down and shoot away.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I tighten and call it a day.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
I don't feel safe driving unless I've staked all 20 of my lug nuts.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 10:18:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have had BOTH come loose in the field.

Built a couple YHM handguarded pistols, and they hit the minimum torque spec and just lined up.  Both of them came loose in the field.  I quit using aluminum barrel nuts, or if I have to use one, they get a minimum of 50lb's now.

I have had several castle nuts loosen in the field on early builds.  That ended when I started using one drop of blue loctite.  I bought an automatic center punch and now I stake them.

What you do with a barrel nut doesn't mean a thing.  What can happen, and does happen, matters much more.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I tighten hand tight by feel with a castle nut wrench with purple Loctite (actually usually Vibra-TITE brand purple equivalent) and then test fire a few mags to be sure and then stake it in addition to the Loctite and take cell phone video showing me staking it with a good close up of exactly the position it was in when staked and serial number of the receiver.  I'm peranoid that a crooked cop will remove my pistol specific tubes and replace with M4 extension and stock and claim I had an unregistered SBR.

But then considering there has already been a case where crooked law enforcement has already tried that on some and got caught doing it (how many times did they not get caught?).  Well, if they really are out to get you then your not peranoid.

For actual rifle builds, I just use the purple thread locker and don't bother staking.  Still make video to show proper rifle length upper installed on rifle lower.

All cell phone video clips saved on a couple air-gapped non-networked computers.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:52:49 AM EDT
[#9]
Drop of blue loctite on receiver extension and castle nut, tighten castle nut to one grunt, stake.

The PWS castle nut is neat, but $30 is a but much for me.  I'd rather spend the money on ammo.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:53:11 AM EDT
[#10]
torque to spec and stake.  Every reputable company LMT, Colt, BCM except knights does this.  Knights has their process figured out and i trust their process, but if i am doing a build it is staked with an auto center punch.  Really easy and Harbor Freight sales for cheap
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:55:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Stake it. It takes two seconds and you never have to think about it again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:56:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I tighten and call it a day.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 1:02:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 4:38:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Neither,tighten to 40 ft lbs. never had a castle nut come loose!
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 5:11:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I use a torque wrench but don't tighten it to milspec standards, makes it easier to disassemble later if I ever need to, and its never been an issue for me..
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 5:24:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Tighten and then stake.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Torque and stake.  No loctite needed.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 6:56:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
THIS!
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 7:08:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Get 3.

I tq, loctite and stake.  I had my first build come loose. Never again.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I tighten hand tight by feel with a castle nut wrench with purple Loctite (actually usually Vibra-TITE brand purple equivalent) and then test fire a few mags to be sure and then stake it in addition to the Loctite and take cell phone video showing me staking it with a good close up of exactly the position it was in when staked and serial number of the receiver.  I'm peranoid that a crooked cop will remove my pistol specific tubes and replace with M4 extension and stock and claim I had an unregistered SBR.

But then considering there has already been a case where crooked law enforcement has already tried that on some and got caught doing it (how many times did they not get caught?).  Well, if they really are out to get you then your not peranoid.

For actual rifle builds, I just use the purple thread locker and don't bother staking.  Still make video to show proper rifle length upper installed on rifle lower.

All cell phone video clips saved on a couple air-gapped non-networked computers.
View Quote
WTF?
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 10:32:29 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 10:33:58 PM EDT
[#22]
doubletap
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 10:37:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's uh...pretty far out there, 1889.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:05:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Crank it on down and then stake with an auto center punch.  Has worked for me on numerous builds and I've never had one come loose.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:36:51 PM EDT
[#25]
@Tigwelder1971, @Hydra-shokz, @FALARAK, @-Obsessed-, & Anyone Else

Not only that but after I am sure I am going to keep a rifle upper and rifle lower together I slip a properly sized washer over the left side tip of the front pivot pin and do a couple of small weld tacks between the tip of the pivot pin and the washer so the upper and lower can't be separated from each other without grinding out those welds in order to remove the washer in order to be able to snap the pin over and separate upper and lower.  Rear pin is stock so you can still pop over and hinge open to clear any malfunction, or clean, or do other maintenance.  And yes I take video clips of those welded on washers with close ups of the welds and serial numbers and store those as well.  For the rifle lowers I want to swap rifle uppers around on, I have several longer LR-308 front pivot pins that are longer and stick out that I have drilled through to allow the smallest size little MasterLock padlock to be used on the left side of the pivot pin so that the padlock must be removed with proper key to separate upper from lower.

I have had a couple close calls with crooked cops on non-gun stuff in the past one of which only the fact I had bicycle helmet camera video saved me in court.   Plus a not so fun incident we're someone who had a grudge against me (suspect local officer who was shown to have perjured himself in court from my helmet camera  video and who knows I have a  bunch of guns) made BS complaint against me to ATF and I had to deal with them.

Fool me once, shame on you - Fool me twice, shame on me.

P.S. - I also use green bearing sleeve locker on my rifle length uppers barrel nuts on my uppers once I am sure I like the barrel, that stuff is so strong the aluminum of the barrel nut or upper receiver will give before it does.  Preventing swapping in a short barrel as a way around my other precautions.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Not only that but after I am sure I am going to keep a rifle upper and rifle lower together I slip a properly sized washer over the left side tip of the front pivot pin and do a couple of small weld tacks between the tip of the pivot pin and the washer so the upper and lower can't be separated from each other without grinding out those welds in order to remove the washer in order to be able to snap the pin over and separate upper and lower.  Rear pin is stock so you can still pop over and hinge open to clear any malfunction, or clean, or do other maintenance.  And yes I take video clips of those welded on washers with close ups of the welds and serial numbers and store those as well.  For the rifle lowers I want to swap rifle uppers around on, I have several longer LR-308 front pivot pins that are longer and stick out that I have drilled through to allow the smallest size little MasterLock padlock to be used on the left side of the pivot pin so that the padlock must be removed with proper key to separate upper from lower.

I have had a couple close calls with crooked cops on non-gun stuff in the past one of which only the fact I had bicycle helmet camera video saved me in court.   Plus a not so fun incident we're someone who had a grudge against me (suspect local officer who was shown to have perjured himself in court from my helmet camera  video and who knows I have a  bunch of guns) made BS complaint against me to ATF and I had to deal with them.

P.S. - I also use green bearing sleeve locker on my rifle length uppers barrel nuts on my uppers once I am sure I like the barrel, that stuff is so strong the aluminum of the barrel nut or upper receiver will give before it does.  Preventing swapping in a short barrel as a way around my other precautions.
View Quote
If you really think these "crooked cops" are going to go through all the trouble to swap uppers/barrels/etc. around to pin an unregistered SBR charge on you, what's to stop them from building an SBR out of an 80% lower and just saying they seized it from you?  Or even worse, just planting some drugs on your person/vehicle and then arresting you over it?

Seems a hell of a lot easier than all the BS you seem to be concerned about.

This applies only if you're not trolling, though, as there doesn't seem to be much logic in your thought process.
Link Posted: 9/4/2019 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:00:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
torque to spec and stake.  Every reputable company LMT, Colt, BCM except knights does this.  Knights has their process figured out and i trust their process, but if i am doing a build it is staked with an auto center punch.  Really easy and Harbor Freight sales for cheap
View Quote
This.

Torque and stake.

Every good company uses torque specs.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Oh man I can't stop laughing...
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:18:23 AM EDT
[#30]
snug it up with the wrench I have and call it a day.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#31]
It's always a good time when the "well it's never happened before" crowd gets out and start warming their guns up. Torque and stake is required.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 12:19:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

If you really think these "crooked cops" are going to go through all the trouble to swap uppers/barrels/etc. around to pin an unregistered SBR charge on you, what's to stop them from building an SBR out of an 80% lower and just saying they seized it from you?  Or even worse, just planting some drugs on your person/vehicle and then arresting you over it?

Seems a hell of a lot easier than all the BS you seem to be concerned about.

This applies only if you're not trolling, though, as there doesn't seem to be much logic in your thought process.
View Quote
Agreed, that's possible, just scared me good when ATF guy showed up looking for an unregistered AR-15 SBR that someone said I had.  So, I kind of went full on prevention mode.  Mainly worried about that same cop pulling me over again when I an transporting one of my ARs and being sure it would be impossible for him to make a quick and easy parts swap "on the fly" since I strongly suspect it was him and I know he has something stuck in his craw about AR pistols and he thinks they should be considered SBRs.  That with the complaint made against me being that of unregistered SBR, that and my video humiliating him in court and showing him a perjurer and it being shortly after the ATF complaint was made.  Well, as I said, shame on me if he pulls the same thing twice and is successful.  He could do something else that I can't forsee but he sure ain't going to be able to pull same thing twice.  That also applies to a few Bicycle related things that are not gun related, he hates bicyclists, he hates gun-nuts, he really hates some who bicycles with a gun on them especially an AR, especially an AR pistol.  I am often most or all of the above.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 4:48:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Other than one I use as a test rig, I torque and stake.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 5:54:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:08:50 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Can’t wait to find out whose troll account this one is.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have staked in the past, but I really like this product.  Throw on a dab of Rocksett, tighten it down... zero issues and looks good.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 6:35:24 AM EDT
[#37]
I just twist it on by hand and then use a screwdriver and a hammer to get it tight.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 7:55:21 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It's always a good time when the "well it's never happened before" crowd gets out and start warming their guns up. Torque and stake is required.
View Quote
I’ve put thousands of rounds through my rifles & never had a castle nut come loose torquing to 40ft lbs.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 8:17:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
@kaik
View Quote
Not supposed to troll technical forums.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 11:48:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Have seen a couple of post over the years where ones with thread locker twisted the tube and eat the tube threads when it was removed. Nut was glued to strong to the tube and it turned with the nut.
I put them on now the way the TM says with a little grease and a torque wrench. I still do not stake them because I have never had one come loose on the new style nuts and wrench. The older nuts with the two holes used to loosen up because there were no good spanner wrenches available years ago to tighten them enough.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#41]
Grease the threads and tighten to spec.
I have never had one come loose, but I would stake if the weapon was going to see hard use.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 11:57:23 AM EDT
[#42]
Lube, tighten and staked my S.D. carbine,  everything else just grease n tighten.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
thank you
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 2:28:13 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

None of it will matter when they "find" that ounce of blow tucked in your gun safe.
View Quote
You are underestimating our friend. If he puts padlocks on his pivot pins he damn sure has cameras in his house!
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 2:41:47 PM EDT
[#45]
Staking is pretty easy and it doesn't need to a freakin' crater,...so why wouldn't you?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 3:06:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I use an old flat chisel to stake. Clean and easy.

For the record, I've seen at least three castle nuts come loose while shooting carbine matches.  I keep a cheap wrench in my bag for those, admittedly rare, occasions.
Link Posted: 9/5/2019 11:37:26 PM EDT
[#47]
whether I stake or not, I use loctite inside the receiver for the buffer tube threads.  I have had multiple tubes ruined when removing a castle nut (without any thread fastener) and it turns the tube along with the nut and the tube threads get damaged by the indexing pin.

the tube itself has a ton of gripping surface and with a little heat, its easy to remove the tube from the receiver by hand, its only blue loctite.

I think the fastening system for the buffer tube is the weakest part of the AR system and I have tried a couple aftermarket solutions.  The original PWS tube setup was by far the best, expensive as hell, but the best.  But again for a military issue gun where an armorer can chuck in the shredder and get another one for $500, not so much of an issue.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#48]
This thread is dumb.
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#49]
I stake castle nuts now because I had one come loose on a 6.8 SPC
Link Posted: 9/6/2019 6:05:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This thread is dumb.
View Quote
Not nearly as dumb as your post.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top