Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2018 2:50:19 PM EDT
I'm thinking about a retro build and have yet to see a cast FSB for sale.  Are they difficult to find?  What should I expect to pay?  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:11:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Most retro models do not use the cast fsb, just the 601,602 and early xm16e1. Finding a real Colt cast fsb is rare and expensive, a lot of guys use Olympic Arms cast fsbs which are easier to find and a lot cheaper. What model are you building?
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 3:24:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Still waffling on the model.  Where can I learn (description andor pics) about the Olympic vs Colt (assumption that original is Colt)?
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 7:06:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most retro models do not use the cast fsb, just the 601,602 and early xm16e1. Finding a real Colt cast fsb is rare and expensive, a lot of guys use Olympic Arms cast fsbs which are easier to find and a lot cheaper. What model are you building?
View Quote
Early Air Force 604's also had cast front sights
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 7:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Still waffling on the model.  Where can I learn (description andor pics) about the Olympic vs Colt (assumption that original is Colt)?
View Quote
I purchased the last cast front sight that was in the EE.  The gentleman that sold it to me advertised it as original Colt production, and it was sold to him by a member on this forum (who definately knows better) as original Colt.  However, it was just an Olympic sight.  The seller felt so bad (and was so mad at the guy that sold it to him) that he graciously refunded my money AND told me to just keep it. The quick and easy way to tell Olympic cast front sights from Colt sights, is that the Olympic sights had a drain hole, and most are cut for ,750 heavy barrels rather than ,625 pencil barrels.  Also, the Colt sights are nicely marked with Colt "E in C" proofs.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:43:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The only ones that I saw were 601s which by serial number indicated they were from the original purchase. Almost all had black furniture but basically they were refugees from the massive post-Vietnam Anniston depot rebuild in the early 70s.  Rebuilt weapons had ANAD with two digit Month/Year stamped on the side of the lower receiver mag well and 1/12 barrels.

OP - I've been thinking about the Brownells cast fsb but maybe have JT clean up the flash marks and drill it because they dont have the taper pin holes, so that might be a way to go as well?  The forged one would just move over to the GM barrel that arrives tomorrow....
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 5:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The only ones that I saw were 601s which by serial number indicated they were from the original purchase.  Some had black furniture but basically they were refugees from the massive post-Vietnam Anniston depot rebuild in the early 70s.  Rebuilt weapons had ANAD with two digit Month/Year stamped on the side of the lower receiver mag well.

OP - I've been thinking about the Brownells cast fsb but maybe have JT clean up the flash marks and drill it because they dont have the taper pin holes, so that might be a way to go as well?  The forged one would just move over to the GM barrel that arrives tomorrow....
View Quote
A+ on the 604s.  Half the ones in our armory in the 80s were cast.  At the time, I made note of all the differences in the M-16s in our inventory, (601, 602, and 604) but didn't know much about the evolution of the parts and models. In the late 70s and early 80s, I was Army, the unit I was in had a bunch of GMs and H&Rs, that also peaked my interest to find out more about the history of the little black rifle.
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
A cast front sight is not correct on any XM16E1, unless you are copying one of the first hand built prototypes.  One of the many military specifications for acceptance of the XM16E1 was that the front sight was to be changed from the early cast variety to the type  still in use today. However, PRODUCTION (not just rebuilt) 604's left the factory with the early cast front sights.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 9:06:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Thank you all for the info.  Still struggling along collecting parts.... More to go....
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:22:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A cast front sight is not correct on any XM16E1, unless you are copying one of the first hand built prototypes.  One of the many military specifications for acceptance of the XM16E1 was that the front sight was to be changed from the early cast variety to the type  still in use today. However, PRODUCTION (not just rebuilt) 604's left the factory with the early cast front sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Correct with the very early 604's. Here is my very early 604 upper with M VP 12 barrel and cast FSB.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Correct with the very early 604's. Here is my very early 604 upper with M VP 12 barrel and cast FSB.
https://i.imgur.com/Wlyxh3S.jpg
View Quote
thats a whole lot of "wow"
'
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
'
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/Wlyxh3S.jpg
'
Thanks.  Figured I'd give some inspiration to the OP. Hope he finds what he's looking for. Half the battle is being in the right place at the right time and the other half is having cash on hand.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top