Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2020 6:05:54 PM EDT
So I have a small array of .223/5.56 ammo that I use for my various AR's and I wanted to know how most people differentiate what from what. To be more exact, I have all of my 77gr .223 in black Lancer L5's but I am looking for a solution as to how to handle my 55gr, 62gr and MK262. How do you all sort say, plain metal USGI mags? Painted stencils? Tape? I want to further break-down my ammo into USGI mags and be able to readily ID them without having to wonder what grain is in what mag. I wish I could afford to run strictly MK262, but it's not always practical to do that, plus it's quite expensive. I'd love to gather some input from others that handle their ammo in a similar fashion to myself. TIA.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I try to standardize as best I can.  I've got a few (like 3) mags of high dollar stuff but most of what I keep on the shelf, is simple 55grn FMJ or SP.

For marking mags which I only do for id not for ammo sorting I use a simple paint pen like THIS ONE.  It's cheap and works.  It's not fancy though it'll probably work great for what you are wanting to do.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Painter's tape and Sharpie.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:13:04 PM EDT
[#3]
M-193 and M-855. Loaded mags: visual ID. Ammo cans are marked as to type.

62 gr. Fusion in mags, in BoB, Pmag covers are marked with a sharpie. I don't mark magazine bodies because they might get reloaded with something different.

Reloads are kept in separate boxes/cans with load data, etc...
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Ammo cans are marked on outside with chrono/dope data sheet inside.

Mags get a wrap of electrical tape around the bottom - buy a pack of different colors for cheap at any hardware store.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:04:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I usually have only 2 different loads.. general purpose 55gr and 75bthp for precision shooting.

The 75gr are usually loaded in 20 rounders. The 55gr in the higher capacity ones
Page AR-15 » Ammunition
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top