Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2018 5:20:57 PM EDT
I really don't need to add any more to my pile of ARs but I have been thinking of building a lightweight rig. Main components would be a MFT minimalist stock, Faxon lightweight 14.5 barrel with permanently attached flash hider. Perhaps a Fostech Echo trigger (yeah I know, probably not the best idea with a super lightweight barrel) and a lightweight Mlok handguard.

I have been thinking of a carbon fiber handguard since seeing the completion of Inrange TVs What Would Stoner Do? Series. But all the Mlok Carbon fiber hand guards I have looked at so far seem a bit pricey. I don't want to blow too much cash on this.

Preferred length would be around 10 inches.

If nothing suitable in Carbon fiber materializes I suppose I can always go with my favorite, ALG EMR. But I already have a few of those lying around.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 5:35:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Lancer, Faxon or Brigand are the only Carbon fiber handguards I can think of off the top of my head. Carbon Fiber is going to be pricey.

Otherwise I'd suggest something like the Aero Precision Atlas S-One to keep in the spirit of the WWSD build. I think they sell a 14.5 pencil barreled Atlas complete upper combo too. I think the 14.5 pencil barrel is a must if I was doing it.

But theres a few good light aluminum options, BCM MCMR etc.. I think off the top of my head the MCMR would be lighter than an ALG EMR rail(I could be wrong though)
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 6:53:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm planning to use the Faxon handguard...just have to bite the bullet and do it once they are available.

I did go with a slightly different barrel though, opted for a BA Hanson 16"...that's about as light as I'm willing to go.

Eventually I plan to send the lower out to be hydro-dipped with a carbon fiber print to match the handguard. ;-)
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:41:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm planning to use the Faxon handguard...just have to bite the bullet and do it once they are available.

I did go with a slightly different barrel though, opted for a BA Hanson 16"...that's about as light as I'm willing to go.

Eventually I plan to send the lower out to be hydro-dipped with a carbon fiber print to match the handguard. ;-)
View Quote
I like the look of the Faxon barrel with the three prong flash hider. Reminiscent of the PWS triad (my favorite muzzle device) and the original M16 FH.

Issues?
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 7:54:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Boy, all this is looking awfully pricey alright and most places show out of stock regardless.

I'm also thinking about the Vella Industries Trident Mlok rail.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Smoke Composites has carbon fiber handguards for Mlok:
http://www.smokecomposites.com/hand-guards
the rails are here:
http://www.smokecomposites.com/parts-and-accessories

very light, nice looking, and they have matching light stocks,
but ex-pen-sive, like everyone already said.

have you considered the V7 magnesium hyper-light rails?
Not carbon fiber, but very light
https://www.vsevenweaponsystems.com/magnesium-hyper-light-m-lok-handguard-ar15/
Link Posted: 4/29/2018 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I have the 15" Faxon, and it works well, but I only bought it because it was on sale for $260 shipped at the time.  A 13" Faxon vs a 12.6" MI-LWM12G3 is only a ~0.8 oz difference, and that is before adding a ~1/2 oz QD mount to the Faxon for sling attachment (a feature that's built into the MI)
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:25:34 PM EDT
[#8]
@JTJ

I have handled an AR built with Smoke components. Very light but very expensive indeed.

Have heard nothing but good things about V7 products.

But now I'm starting to go in a slightly different direction. I'm starting to think pistol instead of rifle. Either way nothing is set yet. Other than I think I want it lightweight, comfortable to handle and to perhaps have a full Ambi controls lower.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#9]
tagarooski.

I've got a Cavarms lower that's currently sporting an old A2 HBAR upper. (Which, if you can believe this, is STILL under 7 lbs due to the Cav lower...)

The WWSD project has me thinking. A lot of stuff I don't see the need to do, but... light would be nice.

I've often though about doing something light (a Knock on the Cavarms/GWACs lowers is that you get a front-heavy gun) and I'm thinking the tech might finally be there.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Aero Precision Atlas S-One
View Quote
Oooh. Me likey.

Attachment Attached File

And the weight isn't that much more than the Faxon CF
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 8:38:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
tagarooski.

I've got a Cavarms lower that's currently sporting an old A2 HBAR upper. (Which, if you can believe this, is STILL under 7 lbs due to the Cav lower...)

The WWSD project has me thinking. A lot of stuff I don't see the need to do, but... light would be nice.

I've often though about doing something light (a Knock on the Cavarms/GWACs lowers is that you get a front-heavy gun) and I'm thinking the tech might finally be there.
View Quote
With an A2 HBAR I imagine that your gun feels just absurdly nose heavy.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 10:56:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Lyman announced a TacStar handguard. No idea when it might be available, where it is made, or why they have a stupid-shit angled front.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Troy makes a set.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm suprise there isn't more companies making carbon fiber hardguards. How hard is it to roll a tube out of carbon fiber?
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:12:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
tagarooski.

Yeah, it wasn't originally supposed to be that way, it's just kinda what's on it now.

But even with a fairly light Carbine upper; they're nose-heavy compared to a 'normal' AR. You just sucked all the weight out of the rear without taking any out of the front.

When the WWSD videos were going on, I was doing a little mix-and-match; but ~6.5# is as light as I can get it with what I have currently.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 1:14:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Lyman announced a TacStar handguard. No idea when it might be available, where it is made, or why they have a stupid-shit angled front.
View Quote
Carbon Fiber AR-15 Handguards with Sight Rail

It does look... odd. But the price is right.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Nice, and I like the pic of the young lady firing that AR
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=profMC5NQ64

It does look... odd. But the price is right.
View Quote
That's my favorite so far.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:37:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I really don't need to add any more to my pile of ARs but I have been thinking of building a lightweight rig. Main components would be a MFT minimalist stock, Faxon lightweight 14.5 barrel with permanently attached flash hider. Perhaps a Fostech Echo trigger (yeah I know, probably not the best idea with a super lightweight barrel) and a lightweight Mlok handguard.

I have been thinking of a carbon fiber handguard since seeing the completion of Inrange TVs What Would Stoner Do? Series. But all the Mlok Carbon fiber hand guards I have looked at so far seem a bit pricey. I don't want to blow too much cash on this.

Preferred length would be around 10 inches.

If nothing suitable in Carbon fiber materializes I suppose I can always go with my favorite, ALG EMR. But I already have a few of those lying around.

Thoughts?
View Quote
Hesperus:  The main components to focus on are the barrel, handguard, bolt carrier, lower receiver and buttstock/buffer tube and the buffer itself.  
-  A 16" pencil barrel in .223 should weigh slightly over 1 lb.  Ideally with an unthreaded muzzle. Faxon brand stands out.   A 14.5" barrel would end up weighing more because of the mandatory pinned muzzle device.
-  There are numerous handguard options, some in alum/magnesium alloy, some in carbon fiber.  Look for one that weighs less than 8 oz including the barrel nut.
-  Check for a titanium bolt carrier, e.g., those from Rubber City
-  Several makers offer lighter than standard lower receivers, look for something in the 6 oz range
-  Smoke Composites combination buffer tube and buttstock is the way to go, weighs about 4 oz in carbine size
-  Taccom makes 1 oz buffers and a reduced strength spring.  You can make your own LW buffer by taking out all the internal weights from a standard GI carbine buffer.  The special spring is needed to slow down bolt speed.  
-  Adjustable gas is a must whenever you lighten the reciprocating parts.  Check out RCA's adjustable gas key, or any one of the low-pro adjustable gas blocks.

Expect to pay more for these LW components.  Weigh everything in grams, every little bit adds up.  My lightweight 6.8 rifle weighs 4 lbs 7 oz with iron sights and right at 5 lbs with a lightweight scope installed.  Another shooter at the 68forums achieved a finished rifle closer to 3 lbs.  When you pick up one of these ultralight rifles, it feels like a toy, but hits with authority, in 6.8 SPC at least. Good luck - CW
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 10:36:41 PM EDT
[#20]
There is a 15" AP custom in EE for $90.  Needs a barrel nut.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 10:48:44 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
There is a 15" AP custom in EE for $90.  Needs a barrel nut.
View Quote
I have an AP custom tube on a rifle I'm selling.

Nice, but no Mlok.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 4:06:07 AM EDT
[#22]
I would imagine a T-nut would require minor filing to make it fit...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top