Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2021 8:39:57 AM EDT
I'm fairly new to shooting AR's. Right now I am going to the range and I'm shooting from 10 yards out. What I am trying to accomplish is to be able to bring up my rifle see the target then shoot. What I think my issue is is that I am seeing the target and trying to be too precise which then causes barrel sway so then I am waiting for the sway to get on target then pull the trigger. Is the correct way just to bring the rifle straight up and when your right on target just shoot and not try to be super accurate? Hope this makes sense?
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm fairly new to shooting AR's. Right now I am going to the range and I'm shooting from 10 yards out. What I am trying to accomplish is to be able to bring up my rifle see the target then shoot. What I think my issue is is that I am seeing the target and trying to be too precise which then causes barrel sway so then I am waiting for the sway to get on target then pull the trigger. Is the correct way just to bring the rifle straight up and when your right on target just shoot and not try to be super accurate? Hope this makes sense?
View Quote

What sight system do you have?  Iron sights, red dot, low powered scope.  If shooting at 10 yards red dots can be very fast.  At close distance smoothness, fluidity, can be very accurate without spending time dwelling on the target..  But, for me, I've always thought "slow is fast" and "smooth is fast", especially when shooting standing and offhand. In other words, trying to be as fast as possible introduces jerkiness and causes you to forget fundamentals, including smooth straight back trigger pull.  Focus on uniform mounting of the rifle, uniform cheekweld and smooth trigger pull straight back.  If shooting irons, its all about focusing on the front sight, not the target or your rear sight.  Front sight, front sight, front sight . . .

Spend some time at bench or shooting prone to get the fundamentals down.  Then, return to offhand once you feel confident.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy an eotech.  Zero optic.  When dot hits target, pull trigger.  

Perfection is the enemy of good enough.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 9:03:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Trying to be precise shouldn't cause the barrel to sway.  Taking too long can lead to fatigue, which then makes it hard to hold steady.

IMO speed is more important than perfect accuracy for close range defensive shooting.  I'm more interested in putting 5-7 decent hits on target than worry about a perfect headshot on what will in real life be a moving target.  My take is get to center mass and pull the trigger.  Ideally you're catching heart, lungs and/or spinal cord.  Keep going until the target drops.  I would shift tactics if the opponent was wearing body armor, then a headshot gets more important.

I recommend a good red dot for close range shooting.  A 1-6x can also work pretty well.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 12:54:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 1:33:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the OP needs a basic carbine course.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 3:36:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

This is probably true.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

First learn how to be precise.

Then learn how to be fast.

Start with the basics of shooting, breathing, sight picture, trigger squeeze, and all that.  Once that is mastered, and only after that is mastered, learn to do all that stuff a little more quickly.

The first time you drove a car, it wasn't on the Nürburgring circuit . . .
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 7:45:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Buy an eotech.  Zero optic.  When dot hits target, pull trigger.  

Perfection is the enemy of good enough.
View Quote

After trying to be so precise for years, this advice by @blemfield is spot on....
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:02:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Concur.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 8:03:19 PM EDT
[#10]
You can get faster with dry fire and save some cash.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 12:28:45 AM EDT
[#11]
In a word, yes.

You define the precision of your shots.  It can be the X of a bullseye, all the way to anywhere on a steel target to get it to ring.

Define the acceptable area, pull the trigger when the sights are in that area.

That doesnt automatically mean you will hit within that area, as your mastery of the fundamentals of pulling the trigger without disturbing the sights will come into play.  So you need to practice both.

Mastering the fundamentals of keeping the sights on target as the trigger is pressed, on demand, increase the chances of a shot being within an acceptable defined area of your target that you pulled the trigger on.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 6:08:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Shoot faster how, and why?

There are many factors that F up fast fire. Anticipating the next pull is one major one, finger into the action too much before target acquisition is achieved.

Link Posted: 6/4/2021 6:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I like a ring+dot. Eotech, Sig, Halosun...at close ranges, get the silhouette/target in the ring and do not worry about the dot.
Link Posted: 6/5/2021 11:21:47 AM EDT
[#14]
Great question which should benefit many. One of the primary causes of an inaccurate shot imo. Get on target and fire. Unless you're very experienced and highly skilled, you'll accomplish more without "studying" the target. Put a cheap laser pointer (low light conditions or target in darkened area) and watch the dot. It'll likely look like you've been drinking tree bark-coffee all day.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 1:53:06 PM EDT
[#15]
You may want to build upper arm strength.  Hold the rifle right-handed and left-handed 3 minutes each looking down the sights without moving it as part of your workout.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 2:00:22 AM EDT
[#16]
To the OP.
Point shooting.  Proper thing to do in your situation would be to start with basics, if course is not an option, and practice,... a lot.  You should lay down the foundation, before you start practicing drills. Stick with stock military grade trigger for practice purposes.
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 12:49:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Like other have said work on the fundamentals before trying to work on speed. Then practice, practice, practice.
Years ago when I was shooting competitive pistol, I didn't see much improvement until I started shooting 1k rounds of ammo a month. Speed increased was natural.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 10:27:36 AM EDT
[#18]
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast".  This adage applies in many settings where both precision and speed are needed.  It also applies to improve clock speed in shooting.  Practice, practice, practice being smooth first - smooth and accurate.  The speed will follow.
Link Posted: 9/13/2021 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Start in slow motion, work slowly up to speed.

A sling that is taught when your rifle is up and aiming at the target can also help.
Link Posted: 9/20/2021 5:06:21 AM EDT
[#20]
If you want to shoot fast buy a shot timer.

It will help you in so many ways and give you real data about your progress. You need a  IDPA style target to determine A zone vs. B zone hits. Do multi target/multi shot drills. If you are hitting all A zone hits on a drill, you are shooting too slow. If you hit all A zone but 1 or at most 2 B zone hits, you are pushing yourself appropriately. If you hit more than one or two B zone hits, you are going too fast and need to slow it down a notch. Over time you will get faster and more accurate. Most people are too slow without the pressure of a shot timer.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top