Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2023 9:46:30 AM EDT
I have multiple uppers where I've been successful in getting the muzzle device to set up and hold with Rocksett. I have one however which doesn't and I'm puzzled. I cleaned the threads with acetone to ensure there was no oil etc. on both the barrel and muzzle device. I applied two drops of rocksett, screwed them together and waited 24 hours. I could twist it off with my hand. I've done this twice more without success. Each time I take male and female thread cutters to both to clear out the thread channels of any rocksett debris. I'm doing this by hand rather than a tool so I sensitive to resistance and know I'm not cutting new, deeper threads. This is followed by a liberal scrubbing with acetone. the last time I put almost 4 drops on and still it doesn't hold after 24 hours. Thoughts??  Thanks
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you torquing it down properly?

Like 15-25 ft lbs?
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I ignore the whole 2 drop thing. Apply liberally and let it drip off. When I go back to remove I call over 4 of my cornbread fed friends.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 12:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ignore the whole 2 drop thing. Apply liberally and let it drip off. When I go back to remove I call over 4 of my cornbread fed friends.
View Quote

THIS.

Slather it on.

Its a rifle. Not the space shuttle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 2:39:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Whoa, I've never used more than one drop.  How old is the bottle you're using?  Thought I read somewhere you're supposed to leave it in the box for storage as it is weakened by light.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 2:42:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 3:03:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Whoa, I've never used more than one drop.  How old is the bottle you're using?  Thought I read somewhere you're supposed to leave it in the box for storage as it is weakened by light.
View Quote

Quoted:
How much torque are you applying? Threaded fasteners still need to be torqued.
View Quote

All of this^^^^^.

Even w/o Rocksett if it's torqued properly removal "by hand" should be impossible.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:10:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks to all the replies so far. The bottle is about 2 years old and lives in my temp controlled safe, so it's in the dark 99.9%.

I am not torquing the device on hard. It snugs up nicely with one thin shim to just hand tight for proper alignment (suppressor attachment).
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 6:19:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I used carb cleaner on the muzzle device and threads first. Then put some on the threads and thread device on and off a bit to spread the rocksett around. Then torque muzzle device. Then use a heat gun to cure the rocksett. I have never had a device come off using this method, but did in the past which led to this method…
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks to all the replies so far. The bottle is about 2 years old and lives in my temp controlled safe, so it's in the dark 99.9%.

I am not torquing the device on hard. It snugs up nicely with one thin shim to just hand tight for proper alignment (suppressor attachment).
View Quote

I think you are going to need to tighten it with a wrench. Add another shim.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:21:59 PM EDT
[#11]
You need to put a wrench on it and crank that sucker down. Hand tightening is just not enough.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:29:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think you are going to need to tighten it with a wrench. Add another shim.
View Quote

Quoted:
You need to put a wrench on it and crank that sucker down. Hand tightening is just not enough.
View Quote

This.

What suppressor mount? What are the mfgr's recommended torque specs?
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Muzzle devices need to be torqued 15-25 ft-lbs.

Your muzzle device should have a torque spec on the packaging or on the manufacturers website.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 9:44:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Hand tight isn’t going to cut it my man…you need torque …
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:27:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Hand tight isn’t going to cut it my man…you need torque …
View Quote

All the torques
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 10:37:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

You need more torque.  Rocksett isn’t JB Weld.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:10:33 PM EDT
[#17]

I much prefer Hot Lock to Rocksett.

One word of caution, some Amazon buyers have gotten bad bottles, like where someone used what they needed and then returned it.

Fantastic product, in my experience, never had an issue and used it on dozens of builds.

Plus it’s easy to break loose if you need to.
Link Posted: 4/27/2023 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

One word of caution, some Amazon buyers have gotten bad bottles, like where someone used what they needed and then returned it.

Fantastic product, in my experience, never had an issue and used it on dozens of builds.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

OP doesn’t seem to be having that problem.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Adding too much Rocksett can compromise its strength.

If it's more than a thin film, the outside can harden while the inside stays liquid (think candy coating).  Then when you twist on it, the more liquid center yields easily and the device comes off.

Rocksett calls out for sparing applications in their instructions, and I've seen it first hand myself.

Odds are the Rocksett is old and expired.  If it's cloudy or more thick it may have gone bad.  Heat kills it, so keeping it cool (basements and such) gives you longer life, but still expect a 1 year shelf life on it.

It's holding power isn't insane though, so you still will want to give it a good 15-25 ft/lbs of torque to get it to stay put (with proper thread prep first).
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 7:08:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Adding too much Rocksett can compromise its strength.

If it's more than a thin film, the outside can harden while the inside stays liquid (think candy coating).  Then when you twist on it, the more liquid center yields easily and the device comes off.

Rocksett calls out for sparing applications in their instructions, and I've seen it first hand myself.

Odds are the Rocksett is old and expired.  If it's cloudy or more thick it may have gone bad.  Heat kills it, so keeping it cool (basements and such) gives you longer life, but still expect a 1 year shelf life on it.

It's holding power isn't insane though, so you still will want to give it a good 15-25 ft/lbs of torque to get it to stay put (with proper thread prep first).
View Quote
I don't know the how or why but I know everyone I've installed I just put several drips till it starts dripping off, then run the device on, half way off then torque on. They stay on well. Maybe I've gotten lucky. I do clean thoroughly and acetone then blow dry.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 7:30:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

OP doesn’t seem to be having that problem.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:02:46 PM EDT
[#22]
@NewGunGuy3

Did you get it figured out?
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 5:24:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Clean threads to bare metal.  If you have already used rockset, boiling water to remove its residue.  Only then acetone.

Fresh Rockset covering about 1/4 inch of the threads.  As you screw the device on, the fluid will fill end to end.

15 lbs max tq.

One of the main causes of loss of accuracy is an over torqued muzzle device.  Let the new bottle of rockset do the work, not an over-torque.

The people who promote over torque don't own a muzzle gauge or they would see the error in their ways.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 3:04:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm listening
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 4:56:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Clean threads to bare metal.  If you have already used rockset, boiling water to remove its residue.  Only then acetone.

Fresh Rockset covering about 1/4 inch of the threads.  As you screw the device on, the fluid will fill end to end.

15 lbs max tq.

One of the main causes of loss of accuracy is an over torqued muzzle device.  Let the new bottle of rockset do the work, not an over-torque.

The people who promote over torque don't own a muzzle gauge or they would see the error in their ways.
View Quote

Truth /\ /\
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Have had good luck using an old bottle of Rocksett.  It separates out, so you need to shake the hell out of it, even with a brand new bottle.  

If you get it mixed back up, it seems to work pretty well.

Removing it- soak in a bucket of water for a day, nothing to it after that.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 8:54:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

15 lbs max tq.

View Quote

Doesn't sound like OP used any......

.....and I haven't seen anyone saying to "over torque" anything.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top