Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/23/2024 11:45:12 AM EDT
Hello! First post here and I’m sorry to start with a question. I did a search first…

I have a lower receiver purchased at a gun store. They did the NICs check and I assume they ran it as a “long gun” but not sure. It’s one of those “multi” marked lowers. What do I need to do to legally build a pistol on this receiver? I’m strictly talking about the legality of making a receiver into a pistol. Not talking about parts or accessories, just wether it’s legal to build a pistol on this receiver.

Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]
You can build it into a pistol. Whatever the gun store marked on the 4473 ultimately doesn't matter to you, lowers are supposed be marked "other" but that's their problem if they did it wrong not yours.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#2]
If the receiver the start out life as a stripped item. That is, it was never a rifle then you can build anything that you want out of it.

Remember if it starts out as a pistol, then you turn it into a rifle then you turn it back into a pistol or whatever else makes you happy you’re good but once a rifle always a rifle
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:45:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
once a rifle always a rifle
View Quote

Commonly used phrase, but kind of misleading. If it starts as a rifle, it's always a rifle. I get what you were saying, just trying to clarify for the OP.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:50:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RenegadeX] [#4]
but once a rifle always a rifle
View Quote

Over 30 years ago SCOTUS said WRONG, yet it still gets repeated.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:53:48 PM EDT
[#5]
When the gun store wrongly entered it as a rifle it sealed that lower's fate.
It's on record as a rifle and it's your word against theirs and guess who the ATF is going with.
Lowers are cheap now, start over and save the potential problems.
Build a rifle or sell the lower.

Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:57:45 PM EDT
[#6]
If the receiver the start out life as a stripped item. That is, it was never a rifle then you can build anything that you want out of it.

Remember if it starts out as a pistol, then you turn it into a rifle then you turn it back into a pistol or whatever else makes you happy you’re good but once first a rifle always a rifle
View Quote

FIFY.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By hotdog250j:
It's on record as a rifle and it's your word against theirs and guess who the ATF is going with.

View Quote

Show me a single case, just one, that shows the ATF charging someone for building a pistol on a lower receiver of any designation.

At the end of the day we are quibbling over nothing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:01:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RenegadeX] [#8]

View Quote

No, incorrect entries are FFL problem and are fixable.

If it came to it, a trace would show it left MFG as a lower, passed to distributor as lower, went to dealer as lower, receipt would show lower and typical lower price, and most dealers do not have 07 MFG license so it would not be on books as lower, etc.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:03:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Op if your concerned Anderson has their stealth lowers $34.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
Remember if it starts out as a pistol, then you turn it into a rifle then you turn it back into a pistol or whatever else makes you happy you’re good but once first a rifle always a rifle

FIFY.
View Quote

Still not true. Rifles can become machine guns (legally not a rifle), shotguns, or DDs.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:04:15 PM EDT
[#11]
If it is a stripped receiver that has never had a buttstock installed you can build it into anything you want.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:10:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RenegadeX] [#12]
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:
If it is a stripped receiver that has never had a buttstock installed you can build it into anything you want.
View Quote

Still not true. Stocks alone do not make it other than other. It remains other until it legally is made into something else.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Lollygagger:
Hello! First post here and I’m sorry to start with a question. I did a search first…

I have a lower receiver purchased at a gun store. They did the NICs check and I assume they ran it as a “long gun” but not sure. It’s one of those “multi” marked lowers. What do I need to do to legally build a pistol on this receiver? I’m strictly talking about the legality of making a receiver into a pistol. Not talking about parts or accessories, just wether it’s legal to build a pistol on this receiver.

Thanks for any help.
View Quote

You should assume they ran it correctly and marked "other" and receiver on the 4473 and the NICS check as sale of "other"

Build away. Guns shop's problem (if there ever is one but unlikely), not yours at this point.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:07:50 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Not true at all.  Also, OP said he "assumed" it was logged in as a rifle.  Stripped lowers are not designated as either.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:25:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

Still not true. Rifles can become machine guns (legally not a rifle), shotguns, or DDs.
View Quote

Actually yes it is true.

If you turn it into a MG, DD, etc, you have to F1 or F2 it (depending on your SOT/FFL status, if any), which constitutes making a new firearm. They legally are not the same firearm.

When you take a lower and built it into a rifle, or a pistol, etc it's legally the same firearm.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:27:43 PM EDT
[#16]

Still not true. Stocks alone do not make it other than other. It remains other until it legally is made into something else.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bgenlvtex:

Well, yeah until it is mated with an upper.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:34:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mancow] [#17]
After all this I'm sure OP is perfectly clear on the topic now.

Hey OP, nobody knows.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:15:25 PM EDT
[#18]
Actually yes it is true.
View All Quotes
Actually yes it is true.

So when a 16" 556 upper is replaced with a 18" 12GA shotgun upper, it is still a rifle? No the rifle is now a shotgun.

If you turn it into a MG, DD, etc, you have to F1 or F2 it (depending on your SOT/FFL status, if any), which constitutes making a new firearm. They legally are not the same firearm.

Exactly. A rifle is not always a rifle. It can become something else in this case it is MG/DD/etc.

Thanks for making my point.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I see I should’ve mentioned that it is a stripped receiver. One of those Anderson’s that comes sealed in the clamshell packaging. I didn’t know they could call it in as “other”. I was only aware of the long gun and hand gun designations. So I assume they did it right. - My assumption that they called it in as a rifle was just my ignorance.
Thanks everyone for the replies. I assume the same logic applies for US-made AK receivers that were never assembled into anything or drilled?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 4:59:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bionicmonkey] [#20]
buy an 80%. finish it.   build into whatever you want.  no paper trail to disagree with how you make it come out
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#21]
If it is marked "multi" that should be proof enough that it was not a rifle, am I correct in that a rifle would have the caliber marked?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
If it is marked "multi" that should be proof enough that it was not a rifle, am I correct in that a rifle would have the caliber marked?
View Quote

Not all.  And, even pistols come in rifle caliber.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:58:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeBud] [#23]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
View All Quotes

And, even rifles come in pistol calibers. :)

The only caliber marking that matters is on the barrel. In the AR world the caliber designation on the receiver is irrelevant. That’s why the “multi” designation came to be.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:21:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Lollygagger:

So I assume they did it right. - My assumption that they called it in as a rifle was just my ignorance.
View Quote

Don't be so sure. I had to dump my previous FFL for reporting my stripped lowers as "long guns".

I didn't know any better at that point in time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 12:12:51 AM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes

A rifle would need to have the caliber marked on it somewhere. A rifle receiver does not need to have the caliber marked.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 1:22:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#26]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

A rifle would need to have the caliber marked on it somewhere. A rifle receiver does not need to have the caliber marked.
View Quote

I guess that might depend on who built the rifle.  I have many rifles with no caliber markings on them.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 1:38:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:

Don't be so sure. I had to dump my previous FFL for reporting my stripped lowers as "long guns".

I didn't know any better at that point in time.
View Quote

This. I built a SBR on a stripped receiver simply because the shop ran it as a rifle and I was too naive at the time to know any better. It was pre-AR pistol times and I thought they were all rifle receivers.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:56:46 AM EDT
[#28]
If your plan was legal on Jan 20, 2021, it is legal today.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 1:42:52 PM EDT
[#29]

I guess that might depend on who built the rifle.  I have many rifles with no caliber markings on them.
View All Quotes

I’m speaking from a legal standpoint. That’s one of the requirements of a completed firearm. Obviously there are tons of incorrectly built and/or illegal firearms out there. Always have been.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:32:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JoeBud] [#30]

I’m speaking from a legal standpoint. That’s one of the requirements of a completed firearm. Obviously there are tons of incorrectly built and/or illegal firearms out there. Always have been.
View Quote

From what I understand, a "completed" firearm is required at the time of manufacture and/or import. A receiver sold as an incomplete firearm is not required to have a caliber mark if the caliber is unknown at that time.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote

Guess I'm still not following.  I know of no requirement for me to inscribe the caliber on the lower receiver of a rifle that I have built.  In fact I have several lowers that share time with uppers of different chamberings.

Or, are you just referring to factory manufactured firearms?
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 6:26:02 PM EDT
[#32]

Remember if it starts out as a pistol, then you turn it into a rifle then you turn it back into a pistol or whatever else makes you happy you’re good but once a rifle always a rifle
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:08:55 PM EDT
[#33]

Guess I'm still not following.  I know of no requirement for me to inscribe the caliber on the lower receiver of a rifle that I have built.  In fact I have several lowers that share time with uppers of different chamberings.

View All Quotes

Caliber can be marked on the barrel as well. I’m not aware of a law to force that on home builds. Manufacturers have to mark it. I think it’s required on barrels being commercially as well. Been a long time since I’ve read the codes on that stuff.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top